newb in Ct

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Hello all newb here from connecticut about to embark on a dual build . I'm purchasing a couple flying horses from BB. My first build will be for a 12 year old using a Micargi general . I plan on replacing the front hub with a Sturmey archer drum brake hub as the general only comes with a rear coaster brake. The other bike will be mine and I'll be using a Hercules I found in my basement. It has a 3 speed internal rear hub which I plan on replacing with a modern version as well as adding a drum from brake hub. a quick question I do have is how difficult is it to replace just the front hub with a drum brake hub as opposed to replacing the entire wheel? I'm referring to the general now,it has a painted rim and spokes and I don't want to have to try and match the paint on a new wheel.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
If I understand your question right, then changing hubs is a good deal more difficult than just buying a new wheel. You'll have to dismantle the entire wheel; spokes, rims, etc. Then you'll have to re-lace an entire wheel.

Not that it's all that hard to do. But a newbie should not expect to get it done quickly and properly. It's the sort of thing that takes practice.

Maybe you should consider using your wheels as they are and just put plain old rim brakes on them?

And I'm sorry to be a drag here, but.....is it a good idea to give a motored bike to a twelve year old. You might be asking for a world of trouble there. But what do I know? This might be a particularly sober twelve year old.

Still, I'd tread very carefully on this.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Thanks for the info. I dug a little deeper,watched a couple YouTube bids on lacing a wheel and although I'm confident I could do it myself after speaking with my local bike shop for what they charge its a no brainer. I'll pay them to do it. I don't want to use rim brakes because I don't want to ruin the general's olive drab painted rims. I know these babies can be dangerous and I plan on making this kids bike as safe as possible. Including using whatever sprocket I need to make top speed as low as possible without taking the fun away.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Sturmeys are probably best bought laced to a rim from husky...they cost enough alone...then there's spokes and lacing to a rim....they get around $110 last I looked