Yo, Canadian New Guy.

GoldenMotor.com

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
I purchased a Grubee skyhawk 48cc Kit last month. Boy, has it been fun and eventful.

Took me about 4 hours to install on the bike. All went to together pretty easy. I did have a missing clutch cable brass thingy; no prob, just fabed one up. But, on my first outing, the chain jumped off the rear sprocket and totaled the spokes. A week later I re-installed the rear sprocket on a new tire and rim. (no injuries)

Outing number 2 was a bust too. Not exactly sure what happened but in split seconds I was skidding across the pavement. Scraped up the elbow and triceps area pretty good, as well as my right hip.(note to self- buy elbow pads). ribs are sore too.

Thing is, somewhere upon impact with the ground, I broke the small bevel drive gear, but not the housing. After some searching, I found a replacement from one of the online bike websites. ($5)

I was just wondering if this is common for critical parts to break? And where do you guys go to get replacement parts?

Thanks for the forum.

Peace and happy trails. hahaha

Last edited:

CranbrookKid

Jul 14, 2013
Western MA
Welcome to the forum from another newbie. Did you check to see if your rear sprocket was not true? Also check if the chain is getting caught on something.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Good intro post. You've told us a bit about your bike and what's happened with it.

Sorry about your bad luck. Chain de-railments are not uncommon with newbies. Make that motor stay exactly where you put it. Most of us learn this by trial and error. But you can pick up some very good hints reading these threads. You also want to make sure that the drive sprocket is installed well. Straight and true. Beware the chain tensioner; it can also destroy spokes.

Elbow (and knee) pads are a very good idea. When doing any real riding, I wear 'em. Plus gloves, decent boots and a helmet. Maybe I look like a dork, but that's very, very low on my priority list.

I'm afraid that I didn't understand the bevel drive gear that you mentioned. But the answer to your other question is 'yes'. Unfortunately parts do break on these china girl kits. They are just not super high quality. But, like an old Volkswagen or a Chrysler from the 60s or 70s, they're still (strangely) lovable.

My answer to the parts issue; a second motor and kit sitting in my attic. Basement might not be a good idea; too moist. When I need a part I take it out and then order that part from one of the vendors that you'll find in the margins of these pages.

Have fun.

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
Hey thanks.
The motor mounts weren't tight, that's why the chain jumped. All tight now..haha. And I deleted the chain tension-er.

The bevel gear is the one attached to the main crank; it turns the clutch gear. I attached pics of the gear and my bike. Can you see them??

peace

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your early experience hasn't been the most positive.
You've done well getting rid of the chain tensioner but just make sure those sprockets are aligned and your chain tension is good.

As for the primary gear failure, it doesn't surprise me much. I recently had one that was drilled (machined) off center and it wobbled badly against the secondary gear. It was noisy and jerky. I'm sure it might have failed like yours if I had not replaced it.

I hope you get all the bugs worked out and enjoy your bike. We've all been through the learnig curve and know how frustrating it can be. However you sound like the type who can figure out the mechanical parts and that puts you well on your way to success. Good luck.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Good to hear you weren't hurt more seriously and that you are getting solutions to the problems.

The pictures are not showing up for me, I use Maxthon 3.4.5.2000 browser.

I look forward to seeing pics when they are working.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the forum. I think you need to post three times before you can post pics, but if you make an album you can link to the pics right away. Check with the vendors on the sidebar ads for the part you need. Some are better than others, or so I've heard. A little reading in some of the forums will give you the idea.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Canada... what part of Minnesota is that in? LOL
Seriously, welcome, welcome. You are in the right place, lot's of good help here. I have the 49cc Grubee stage III, and have had no problems. That's the deal with these kits- never perfect, usually good, sometimes bad.
You seem to have things in hand, removing the chain tensioner and what not. I recently laced my first wheel, and after really seeing how lightweight the materials are, I am pretty worried about failures. Glad you lived through tearing yours up! Make sure everythings' tight and true, and ride it.
I believe it would benefit you to replace the cheap Chinese bolts that came with your kit. I recently installed American made fasteners in mine, and it's great. They fit better, and I wasn't constantly worried about snapping them off.
Most important is that you got up and got back on that contraption. You're already hooked!

(still can't see your pics)

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
hey,

Thanks for the welcomes. I have been reading a lot of the posts and added links on repair and preventative maintenance. Lots of good help and advice.

Think I am going to putter around with the carb today. Give it the full inspection. Throttle cable seems to be loose since the crash. Hope I didn't break anything else.

Any recommendations on the needle settings? I live at sea level. Not sure exactly how many settings I have yet as I haven't taken it apart yet. I think I read somewhere that it should be in the middle for sea level.

I totally skipped the break in period too. Running 50:1 mix ratio or there about. The motor does seem to develop a hiccup at high rpm with full throttle. Any more recommendations??

As for the pics, I just copied the URL from my fb page.

And yes totally addicted; hardest part will be waiting for parts. I work a 4 on/ 4 off schedule and this crash totally messed with my plans for these days off.
Hopefully the parts are in before next days off.

Happy motoring,,,,peace.