stolen motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

neum5464

Jun 13, 2013
Huntington Beach
To anyone living in southern california, (Huntington Beach area) I had a brand new dax gp50 welded to a black firmstrong bruiser stolen from my apartment complex a couple nights ago. It has a pocket bike exhaust and red rims with dropped mountain bike handlebars. If you see it please email me at [email protected]

Attachments

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I am going to the bicycle swap tomorrow. This is where I ran into the guy with a motorbike that was "given" to him. I believe it was stolen and I am still waiting for someone to get back with me on the description of their stolen bike so I can get it back to to it's rightfull owner... Dan

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
This is a long shot but ya never know where a bike will end up, I'm always on the lookout for more motor bikes so on the slim chance it ends up in my area, I'll for sure let you know. Mine was stolen last year in august but only cost me a grand total of $330, so I wasn't too concerned.

neum5464

Jun 13, 2013
Huntington Beach
yeah, I am especially pissed off because I spent about $1300 on mine which I believe is grand theft if it is over $1000, but not too sure on that one. needless to say, when I find this person they may or may not have use of their limbs when I am done.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
yeah, I am especially pissed off because I spent about $1300 on mine which I believe is grand theft if it is over $1000, but not too sure on that one. needless to say, when I find this person they may or may not have use of their limbs when I am done.
Not to be offensive, but regardless of what the law states is or isn't grand theft, what this thief will be charged with will depend on several factors. First is probably whether or not you can actually PROVE what this bike cost. Not saying you didn't spend 1300 on it, but do you have receipts or invoices? Secondly, your bike being a motor vehicle, it may depend on whether or not the bike was properly registered. Sounds stupid, but sometimes thieves will get charged less for stealing unregistered property. I knew (didnt say liked, said KNEW) a guy who stole a boat and got off with probation because the boat's tail numbers had expired. Thirdly may also depend on what the court thinks the bike is actually worth. I say you find the guy yourself and give him an @$$ whoopin he'll never forget.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
BigButterBean makes some very good points that we can learn from:
- Save those receipts, in a safe place which you can remember where to look.
- Keep a copy of the bike's, and engine's serial number in your wallet, maybe along with a photo too. Something handy to show a cop. (Note to self: print small photo of bike.)
- Some police stations in some towns will let you register your bicycle's serial number with them, in case of theft. They keep it on file. This is a good thing to ask about. (I luck out here, because I work in the local City-County Building and cops know me and they know my bike. And they've heard what I spent on her.)

Having your ducks in a row ahead of time just might make a difference.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
BigButterBean makes some very good points that we can learn from:
- Save those receipts, in a safe place which you can remember where to look.
- Keep a copy of the bike's, and engine's serial number in your wallet, maybe along with a photo too. Something handy to show a cop. (Note to self: print small photo of bike.)
- Some police stations in some towns will let you register your bicycle's serial number with them, in case of theft. They keep it on file. This is a good thing to ask about. (I luck out here, because I work in the local City-County Building and cops know me and they know my bike. And they've heard what I spent on her.)

Having your ducks in a row ahead of time just might make a difference.
The sad thing is that while this is very handy, the first thing bike thieves do if they're not planning on ditching the bike, is grind off the serial number...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing I do for $10 I register my bikes with the http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/ That way if the cops ever do recover my bike I have a better chance of getting it back.

Plus you can fill out the registration yourself and for example my hardrock registration says "Specialized HardRock MTB with 48cc motor". Or something like that its been a while since I read it.

Hope you get your bike back neum5464

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
California motorized bicycle riders have it made.

Mail $20 to the DMV to get a lifetime Moped / motorized bicycle plate
that not only makes you legal.

The plate # is linked to the serial # on your bicycle making a theft
of your motorized bike a much more serious crime that the cops may
pay more attention to because it is a registered vehicle.

Plate comes with an ID card that you have to carry a copy of when
you ride that lists the bikes serial #, the engine # and of course
your name and address.

Do make copies of the ID to carry because it will cost you $20 to
replace if you lose the original.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

neum5464

Jun 13, 2013
Huntington Beach
The next build will definitely be registered and locked several times in a different place. I am working on getting a class M1 license so it won't be awkward rolling into the DMV on an unregistered motorbike. And trust me, when I find this person they are getting the a$$ whoopin of a life time. And the silver lining on this is that I got the carb on my 1980 Yamaha sr250 unclogged and it sounds beastly now.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I am working on getting a class M1 license so it won't be awkward rolling into the DMV on an unregistered motorbike.
Why would you waste your time taking your bike to the DMV? :)

There is no inspection of your bike to get a plate.

They usually don't have plates there and they know nothing about
motorized bike laws. The DMV drones after much deliberation and
talking to supervisors may tell you that you don't need to get a plate.

Print out the Reg230 PDF form, fill it out and MAIL it in with a $20
Postal Money Order.

The DMV will mail your plate and ID to you in a few weeks to a month?

You will need to go to the DMV to sit the written test to get a temp M1
license that is good for a year, but I wouldn't even try to get the plate
at the same time.

Last edited: