Woodruff key

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Can I get the right woodruff key for my transmission at Home Depot or hardware store? What are the dimensions for the key? Please provide as much info as you know on those little things; which way to install them, what they're for... Etc
Thank you

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I've seen the half moon shaped and some are square, is there a difference?

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
Yes there is.... Some are half moon shaped, some are square.

Har har har har. But seriously what does your engine have? If you couldn't find half moon ones local you could grind square ones down or order the right ones.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I don't know, mine didn't come with 1, the guy before me had no idea what he was doing so he never installed it

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
What's it's purpose anyway?
Senior Member asking what a woodruff key is for? Seems kinda strange, but...

Woodruff keys are generally used in a coupling situation when you are mating a shaft to something (like a sprocket or gear for example). Their purpose is to lock the two items together so they move in unison, but also allow them to sheer apart to protect the equipment if the force on the union becomes to great. Thats why sometimes they are referred to a sheer key. They are sometimes rectangular on certain equipment but every one I have seen on a china 2-stroke motor has been the half moon type.

At a good hardware store (or Home Depot if you must) in the hardware isle (nuts/bolts/screws/etc) they usually have little boxes with drawer upon drawer of small hardware, screws, nuts, bolts, sheer keys etc. You should find half moon woodruff keys in there, plenty of variety in size. Best thing to do is compare an original key to the replacement to size, but if you don't have an original then buy a few that seem like the right size and see which one fits. (they should be cheap enough) There should be a size listed for the keys, china girls have all metric parts but you might not find metric keys in stock in the USA.

I have here a woodruff key I picked up at Home Depot (I think), the bag says "Woodruff Key" 3/32" X 3/8". This key fits nicely in my Grubee Skyhawk shafts....... (buy spares!)

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Thanks, I never heard anyone call them woodruff keys, I e always refered to them as sheer keys, I picked up a few larger than needed sized keys and filed them to fit nicely, I also got some replacement bushings but they're a quarter inch too short. Not sure if that makes a difference or not