Which engine is best??

GoldenMotor.com

irefin

Jul 1, 2012
illinois
My first engine BGF80,just locked up.Before I order a new one,thought I'd ask if there is a better choice.Or are they basically all the same?Looking at them on vender web sites,they appear the same with different names stuck on them.Any advise is welcome.Thanks irefin

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
They are "all the same" in that the quality control is terrible. There are some variations between engines/kits, but the lack of C is the real problem.

But from a reliable vendor that offers good after the sale help. Like thatsdax.com.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
There is a difference in what you do between unboxing the motor and installing it in your bike, however.

If you take the time to port match the intake, exhaust, jug you will see an improvement. Swap out fasteners as you go. Slap on a Puch head for an added bump in performance and cooling. One thing I found is that the covers on the side of the engine had a lot of flash and did not sit square on the case. If you sand the mating surfaces flat, you risk less leaks and vibration. Also, use loctite and anti-seize where appropriate.

So really, there is more that you can do at home to help than just picking a factory over in China.

I would rath buy from one of the big names so that I know that support and replacement parts are easily found.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
if you where happy with how yours ran you should order another one these engines arnt meant to last forever its just that some last longer than others im really happy with my current one and i hated my last one it is a bit of the luck of the draw and some companies have slightly higher standards than others

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've bought 4 motor kits from BGF/LEB/Rico group. They're service and parts have been good, but all their motors were crap.

I made 1 MB using a ShyHawk 80. It was better than the BGF motors.

I've bought 4 motor kits made by Flying Horse. So far they've been my best by far, so they are the ones I recommend. Flying Horse has Japanese crank bearings. All of my Flying Horse motors have run the smoothest of all. I feel this is because they have the best, balanced crankshafts. Their pistons are also lighter than the ones in other brands. Having said this, it's still a important to remove the covers and make sure the gears, and seals are installed correctly, but you need to do that no matter what brand you buy.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
If ur a wot kind of guy your reliability goes way down.......Gear your bike so it goes at speeds u want to go without running it wot....If you never go above the middle 2/3 of the rpm range your engine will last much longer.....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If ur a wot kind of guy your reliability goes way down.......Gear your bike so it goes at speeds u want to go without running it wot....If you never go above the middle 2/3 of the rpm range your engine will last much longer.....
I've learned this to be true for all motors, and especially china girl motors.

irefin

Jul 1, 2012
illinois
I very rarely ran at full throttle.Mostly just long enough for the 4 cycling to clear up.I'm not finding Flying Horse engines.DAX has them discontinued,and refers Sky Hawk.Seems to me someone could go in bussiness selling a blue printed engine at a reasonable price and sell the **** out of them.JMO.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I very rarely ran at full throttle.Mostly just long enough for the 4 cycling to clear up.I'm not finding Flying Horse engines.DAX has them discontinued,and refers Sky Hawk.Seems to me someone could go in bussiness selling a blue printed engine at a reasonable price and sell the **** out of them.JMO.
BikeBerry has them. That's where I bought mine.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The Harbor Freight 4-strokes aren't bad......Honda's a bit better......Morini's are one of the best 2-strokes but you won't find them in a kit.

Last edited:

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
I run my harbor freight WOT most of the time. Now after saying that, I should add that the governor is hooked up keeping the WOT down to just a little more than the idle so not much RPM at WOT for me.