New here!

GoldenMotor.com

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
Hey guys,

Looking forward to getting into this in the next few weeks, just figured i would get on there and ask the noob questions and make some friends!

I have a schwinn bike its like a road/mountain bike kinda thing (cheap one) and I think im gonna guy a guys used 49cc kit and use the bike as a daily commuter for school.

School will be 3.5 miles away, up and down hill, do you guys think this will haul me around ok? im 6.2 at 195... The school is in lynchburg, virginia so it can get kinda hilly...

Also, using it as a daily driver, is this a good idea? do the motors last long enough for me to use it for a school year? and will i have enough power/ speed to get across intersections without dying ( i dont care about going 30 lol)

Thanks a bunch guys!
Justin

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Justin welcome to motorbicycling.com glad you joined us.

Your motorized bicycle should be able to haul you around just fine with the stock gearing (44t rear sprocket). I would recommend the 66cc over the smaller 48 and 50cc motors. I weigh close to what you weigh and running a 44t sprocket going up a 9,000ft mountain in less then 20 miles was no problem for me and my motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5C5--6PvMY&feature=plcp

I used to commute daily for years on my motorized bicycle, in fact my first motor I ever purchased back in 05 is still running. I have yet to have one single China Girl motor fail on me in 7 years of running them and I have thousands of miles on all of them.

I would be a little worried about buying a used motor if reliability is your concern. You really don't know how well or what the previous owner treated the motor.

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
thanks for the responses guys!

I think i am going with a new 66cc "skyhawk" kit. seeing that a 66 took you up a mountain, thats what im gonna get lol.

Im excited about riding around on the little thing, looks like alot of fun!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Dave that is one nice presentation you put together there! I also like the fact you have a bright orange safety vest on I highly recommend that to anyone riding on any very busy street (ought to wear one anyhow). Being visible yet riding as if you are invisible will keep you alive! Be safe and have fun!

Man I just googled Mt. Lemmon never knew there was such a place near Tuscon that is awesome! Looks alot like Flagstaff without the traffic (not that traffic is bad there)! I been thru Tuscon many times never knew that wasw near there...averages 180 inches of rain a year wow! I never knew it ever rained or snowed anywhere in Az very much!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...ei=MlP6T5ODD6Ki2wWIlp3KBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJUBELYD

Last edited:

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD

here is the bike i am now getting (no more schwinn). any problems with these bikes? I need to buy some brakes for it, any cheap recommendations?