Point Beach gets an EZM kit.

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you very much, The Aleman!
As soon as I can get a good chain I am going to cruise all around the neighborhood.
I really need to send in the $19 for the Cali. plate now too. At least that fee did not go up.... yet.....

She still needs handlebars. I hate cruiser handlebars. They are too low and wide for my tastes, and they place my wrists at an odd angle.
Need to make a battery box for the headlight, come up with some sort of taillight, and brake lights. I have plenty of factory Harley turn signals laying around so I think that one will look just fine back there as a taillight.
Speaking of brake lights, does anyone know if the electric scooter hand levers with built in switches are compatible with direct pull brakes? Do they provide the proper leverage and cable travel, or am I sweating the insignificant stuff again?

BGF has the rear rack mounted gas tanks unlisted now, so I must wait until they get back in stock again.

Gotta paint the fan shroud white still, and touch up all the scrapes that happened while moving the engine all around the place.

Are builds ever actually finished? Not if you love tinkering on them I guess!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Nah GearNut, they're never really finished! We can always find something to upgrade! :D

As for your brakelight switch, I think I saw a build on here somewhere that used a tiny temp-on pushbutton mounted on a brake lever for a lightswitch.
Seemed to work well.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I saw that thread too. The person used small switches available from Radio Shack. I looked at the ChinaMart hand levers on my bike and they look too small stay together if I drill the holes necessary for the switches. The lever perch would crack between the handlebar clamp and lever pivot.
If I gotta buy new levers to do it I might as well get levers that have the switches already installed?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
If you find levers you like with the switches, why not? Myself, I like my current brake levers, so I've been looking at ultra low profile switches - like maybe a small touchpad that turns on the light as long as you touch it. Perhaps hide it under a Lizard Skins brake lever cover or something. I'm still looking, because I haven't found any switched brake levers I like.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Dog gone it! I sooo wish there was a Tractor Supply somewhere in San Diego.
A #41 chain is $16.99 for 10 feet. Fastenal, just down the road from me, wants $27 for 10 feet, which is still not that bad of a price, but AFAIK you need a resale account to buy from them. They are a wholesaler only. I am still going to try them though.

On a previous note......
Here's the switch instructable, I knew I had bookmarked it!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-a-brake-light-switch-to-a-bicycle-brake-lever/

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
No Ace near you? 10 feet of Daido TRC41 for $10.59. You have a Q-matic, it's not a chain stresser. Anything will work well.
Why yes, there is an ACE in the next town over from me!
Thank you once again, The_Aleman!
You just brightened my morning.
It is actually my go to store for odd parts and fasteners, but of all the years of going there I have never seen any roller chain. Drive belts galore though.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why yes, there is an ACE in the next town over from me!
Thank you once again, The_Aleman!
You just brightened my morning.
It is actually my go to store for odd parts and fasteners, but of all the years of going there I have never seen any roller chain. Drive belts galore though.
Don't forget Marshall's (a subsidiary of Ace Hardware). Two towns over though....

dnut

Grainger has 10' of #41 Tsubaki chain for $30........ouch!

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

These universal brake light switches are nothing special but they get the job done. Includes all necessary bracketry (is that a word?) to attach this to your frame rail and brake rod, which will pull and actuate the switch when you apply your brakes. The two screws in the black housing are your connections for your wiring. See the photos below for a couple installed applications of this brake switch.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ibedayank, I have sold and installed many of those switches on custom Harleys over the years. They look chintzy and cheaply made, but they work wonderfully and are very durable.
There are no brake rods on the Point Beach in which to use one on though.
Thank you for the suggestion though!

I am going to do the brake light switch mod on the hand levers. I already bought the switches from Radio Shack. I was kinda bummed when I got there. They have much smaller switches that would have worked out much better, but they only come in a "normally open" configuration. That would be operating backwards for this application.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Dan da man.....quit fiddle-fartin around and let's go for a ride. Ya don't need a brake light switch ta ride now do ya? And don't even start with the rego plate thang.....let's ride big buddy!

brnot

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I still need chain that is actually straight and true. The one that came with it would make a banana jealous....
Due in this Wed, I should be able to get it Fri, my next day off.
Yes. I will be puttering around the neighborhood!
Sorry man, I am going to build her up my way and she will be good to go when she is done.
Plate, lights, mirror, horn.... The whole shebang.
She is a slow going build due to financial constraints and time available to work on her.

Right now I am in the midst of modding an old Mag Light to use as a battery holder.