New to this need help finidng right bike and motor

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
The right bike is one you like to ride.

I ride tall on a Giant Boulder. That sounds funny when I say it but I am sure they mean Boulder Colorado.

Some like to ride low.

High for me means my legs extend fully when I peddle and that is a good thing. Low means the legs do not extend fully.

Funny part here also is adults ride little BMX type bikes as if they had to borrow their little brothers bike.

Anyway. I'm sure you will know what you like when you see it.
There are ways to mount to most any bike but some of the tubes are way more oval than round and that can be a problem.
This Boulder I have has an oval tube where the idler attaches so it grips excellent.

There is how the back wheel comes off as well. Some say a mount with the u facing back is best but I like the U facing down so the wheel stays put and drops down to change a flat.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Welcome!

There are quite a few threads on the Wal Mart Fixie.

Just search for Thruster or Fixie.

It looks like there is a lot of room to mount the engine, and it would probably fit the front down tube without an adapter.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
This question has been discussed over and over again. Do a little research and figure out what is your style, whether it's: Cruiser, Mt. bike, BTR, stretch, or whatever and go from there. Your the only one that should be riding your bike so personalizing is solely on your tastes and budget. :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard MB.com.
$100 bike seems to have good reviews with a little tweaking.
I can't see where the fixed gear would be of any value here, in MABland, but if the bike otherwise suits your riding style, give it a shot!
IMO front suspension will be a gud thing to have, though...
rc

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
To my one build experience eye, it looks good. There is plenty of room for the engine, and the frame tube looks small enough you won't need an adapter. IOW, engine mounting should be straight forward.
The front and rear caliper brakes are good too.

SAVED1

May 29, 2011
Miami Fl.
i was thinking of getting this bike from walmart Walmart.com: Thruster 700c Men's Fixie Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys would this bike fit a engine. the engine i was planning on getting from motovelo.com
welcome terranbunny to the MB forum. I have seen that bike up close in the local walmart here where i live and the only thing i saw that may be of concern is the rear wheel. If I remember correctly the rear wheel has a drive sprocket on each side of the wheel (rim) this may present a problem when installing the rear drive sprocket for the drive chain of the motor.

Of course some modifications to the rear wheel (removing one of the sprockets) can fix that issue and other then that the bike looked pretty solid.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome to the forum, before buying a engine take a look at this thread.
http://motorbicycling.com/f23/motovelo-32958-2.html

As far as the bike you are looking at, just like all bikes, the most important thing about mounting a engine is the degree of the mounting tubes. For optimum fit you want to work with a 75 degree angle. You want the engine mounts to be flush with both tubes. This can be accomplished with a shim on straight tubes to a custom mount for curved tubes such as that on a cruiser. Also shy away from drilling holes in the tubes.

Here are some pictures of engine mounting you might want to review.
Engine Mounting pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

The bike you are looking at appears to have a 60 degree "V". Blew up the photo and measured with a protractor (http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/). The engine will have to be mounted higher and a custom mount made. That's my .02 for whats it worth....

Last edited: