Pasta Tin Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
When I found this copper Pasta tin at goodwill I thought it might make a cool tank so I brought it home and set to work seeing what I could do with it.

In my bits and bobs box, I found an old saddle-tap valve and short copper tube left over from an old ice maker tap line.

For the filler neck I found an old faucet spout fitting left over from our previous kitchen sink.

For the cap I used a wine bottle stopper if the other two were bits this was ones a bob, we had two and only need one so I added it to the parts from the box.

The stopper has a pressure release valve built in that can be open or closed. It works with a pump so you can pump the air out of an opened bottle to keep it form going to vinegar if you don't use it right away. This pressure release should work as the cap vent when pulled and seal it up when pushed in.

I drilled a hole for the valve and threaded it in the I drilled a starter hole for the filler neck and used tin snips to enlarge the drill hole to just under the size of the outside diameter of the fill neck. Then I created a lip around the fill neck opening by bending up the edge of he opening to give me something to thread into. Next I soldered the valve and filler neck in and lastly soldered the end cap on. I filled it with water and shook it turned upside down and let it sit for two hours – no leaks.

I cut up an old leather belt that Lisa donated to the project to make straps for attaching the tank to the frame. (see attached build pictures)

Attachments

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
That looks great. I wish I was that creative. I was in need of a new gas tank and I got a plastic rectangle tank from a small engine shop. It sure don't look as good as that one.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
before i found a harley tank i was looking @ using a tin.

i was going toward an 1 gal olive oil tin on a rear rack.

yours looks super sweet. especially it being copper.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Looks good. Very creative.
Thanks for the positive feedback.
Dang that looks good, you did a great job...Now I'm wondering...is that spark plug wire/cap and plug stock?
Thanks and yes they are stock for now but they won't stay that way :)

Very clever. I love that kind of engineering.
Thanks Wheelbender6

That looks great. I wish I was that creative. I was in need of a new gas tank and I got a plastic rectangle tank from a small engine shop. It sure don't look as good as that one.
Thanks Chitty, I'm not a big fan of the stock tank and have been looking for a way to make a cylinder tank for a while but then I saw this and thought it would look cool.

Pretty kewl tank I love it.(^)
Thanks Goat Herder, and everyone for your nice comments I'm glad you like it. I relay appreciate the feedback.

I had a chance to use it today for LS's Rally and it works better than I hoped. the stopper is mint for venting and sealing and the tank holds more fuel than the stock one so less fill ups.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great creativity!
Sure looks better than the stock peanut tank we're used to seeing.

Do you have it supported well so it won't flop? ...when the leather bands stretch?
rc

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
may i ask how you went about welding it ? it seems very thin copper :S
Yes, I am happy to answer any questions. It is thin copper. It is (was) a pasta container or "tin" like a cookie tin only for pasta so it's a long cylinder with a cap.

"I soldered the valve and filler neck in and lastly soldered the end cap on."

I used silver solder and a torch and soldered the pieces in place then soldered the cap on the end.

I also soldered the long seam and let the solder flow be drawn into it to seal that as well. I hope that makes sense.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Great creativity!
Sure looks better than the stock peanut tank we're used to seeing.

Do you have it supported well so it won't flop? ...when the leather bands stretch?
rc
Thank you I think it looks better too :), You have a good eye, It's bolted to the frame through the leather but as you say the bands have stretched a bit and the tank has developed a very tiny amount of "flop" it's not enough to make me worry yet but I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm thinking of swapping out the leather for copper bands or steel with leather over that. I'll post pictures if/when I update it.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
If u get pulled over, i hope the police don't ask if its approved to hold gas....
I have been lucky thus far, the only interactions I have had with police have been good ones never been "pulled over" but have had some questions asked at a red light and one time when I was parking it at the book store mostly they seem curious. Connecticut is pretty MB friendly. If I get pulled over and asked if it's approved I'll tell them that I made it out of a copper pasta tin and odds N ends.

lovemstr

Mar 23, 2010
Ga
great idea, I love to use things I buy at yard sales or goodwill and things I have lyeing around. I did a tank very similar with a stainless steel kitchen container except I used electrical conduit fittings and jb weld. works like a charm.