what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I took my brake pads off, and polished the brakes with a drill powered buffer. Jewelers Rouge makes them shine. I love mirror polished aluminum. If you keep your rims clean, unlike some of us rotfl Your bike will stop much better. Lube if you use it, from the drive chain will build up and no rear brake. I have found that "dragging your swampers" is a risky way to stop. (c) Oh it's 74 and sunny in Houston. rotfl

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

not today but yesterday, took her out for a ride, she'd been sitting in my garage for a week. forgot how much fun it is to ride her.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

lol Nunya & Saddle.

Cool avatar Skarrd. DIY?

Swapped out 44T rear sprocket for brandy new 50T. Is a BGF and polished side is well done and looks great! One of the rubber/rag parts has almost half missing over 2 bolt holes. (on the flat of it) took up space with washers but dunno. Think it will be a weak spot. Also the whole rag joint had much smaller diameter then any I have ever seen and the 3, 3rd metal plates did not join tight like any I have seen before. Will see. But over all, really like it. (is shiny, lol) The 56T chain was a lil sloppy fitting length wise. 44, perfect. This 50, lol. Have to pitch the engine. It is about 1/4 of a link out. Or 3/4 long. Just perfectly wrong so as neither a half or full link will reach right. Big snow storm tonight and tomorrow so have time to play.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Today I was muddling around in the storage unit...I mean garage.....and had to pick up the back wheel of my MB to roll it out of my way.
Someday I will license it and I can ride it when I please.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

went to my dealer today and picked up yet another head and piston as I wasnt too happy with how the other one I ported went. Played ping pong with him for abit and left. He follwed me up the motorway and gave me a nod for a speed shot. (id been bragging about how I could get his motors to do over 70km/hr and I weigh 220pounds and am 6'5) So gave it a good squirt didnt duck down or even tuck my legs in and topped out at 72km/hr by the time I got to the top of the very slight incline hill he was stoked showing me with his hands what my speed was.
I truelly think there was about another 6km/hr left in it before the crank jumped out and ran beside me but that was enough, the next bike is supposed to be the fast one so I'll just leave it for then.
Rode the rest of the way to work at about 50km/hr on just over a 1/4 throttle.
Jeez I love this bikes every free moment when I'm at work im either thinking about what I can do next to the bike or reading what other ppl are doing.
I trully am rediculously addicted GOD HELP ME!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

lol Breno. Ayup

(Right after the online, internet addiction meeting, there is a MBA, 12 step meeting held here)

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Today I took the parts I've accumulated (so far) out of their prospective boxes, placed them on a table, and took a picture for you.

I may go to my LBS and get a center kickstand later today.

I'm about two weeks away from an engine, and about four weeks away from building.

Attachments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Yea that,s what I need - a center kickstand

Last night -started it up -ran bad really bad-ran great 3 days ago-so I walked through blizzard-come home and removed carb
This morning cut new gasket put it back on and ran good at half choke and then ran good at no choke. -16 celcius and I'm gonna have to start this every day and make sure there is always gas in the carb so that the vac hole in carb dont freeze up from condensation due to rapid cooling. :0
I'd be interested to know what the head and zorst temps are in the those temperatures..

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Yea that,s what I need - a center kickstand

Last night -started it up -ran bad really bad-ran great 3 days ago-so I walked through blizzard-come home and removed carb
This morning cut new gasket put it back on and ran good at half choke and then ran good at no choke. -16 celcius and I'm gonna have to start this every day and make sure there is always gas in the carb so that the vac hole in carb dont freeze up from condensation due to rapid cooling. :0
Ever thought about wrapping your carb with a blanket?

Is your bike exposed to the weather, in a shed or in your house?

I push my bike up two flights of stairs, then cover it with a large towel. I've heard that a barbecue grill cover will fit over a motor scooter nicely, so should cover an MB nicely.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

I'd be interested to know what the head and zorst temps are in the those temperatures..
EGT actualy goes up significantly in colder weather. The cold dense air causes a leaner mixture because the molecules are much closer and more air is actualy entering the cylinder on each stroke.

In the ultralight community, they run their engines rather lean, monitored with guages, to avoid rings coking up and sticking.
Some of them have to richen their mixuire in cold weather to keep the temps below max allowed.

If your mixture is on the verge of too lean in warm weather, you could easily sieze the engine in cold weather.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today? AXLE BIKE STAND INSTALL

Replaced that HUFFY P.O.S. stripped-thread when-tightened-out-the-slop-Chinese-made-kickstand with a Chinese made axle-mounted kickstand with which, perhaps I can start while standing.

ANYBODY got cone wrenches to sell??? My supplier is out of stock

yodar

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

I put a Hall Wind meter off my plane, on my HS build to check my speed after the sprocket change from 48 to 56 teeth. Looks pretty cool.
DSC_1408.JPG

DSC_1409.JPG
Just as I predicted, there was hardly any change in top speed,right at 40mph, but it gets there a lot quicker, and can easily pull moderate hills now.

Still feels a little tall geared, so I pedal 5 or 6 hard strokes from a dead stop.

Changed the oil 2nd time at hour 2 run time. Still a lotta aluminum in the oil.

The chainbox oil didn't show much metal this time but it smelled dark and burnt. Gotta check, oil is prolly getting to the seperate clutch compartment thru the chainbox bearing seals.

Gonna try better bearings/seals and a drain hole in the clutch compartment.

Also put some screw on pegs on my Chrome HT cruiser build. Thought I could do some ez wheelies that way.

They was too easy! Stand on the back pegs, give a little jerk along with power and comes right up. The HT needs more speed than I want to use to do this at current gearing, and I dont wanna ding up my new Chrome cruiser.

Be better to build a beater bike with big sprocket to practice that.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Ordered my 18mm mikuni and a ktm expansion chamber (just over 90mm at the biggest part)today now back to the piston with my dremel.
I think I'll have better power to weight with the amount of material I've shaved outta this motor rotfl
Spewin I ha e to wait till the machinist comes back to balance the crank..
Best part about the shift kit is when/if the motor blows up it ain't gunna throw me over the hAngers at some stupid rev/speed
.shft.
Looking forward to getting a tacho ($170 but it's the size of a match box) and my helmet cam.

Last edited:

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

i rode mine through the biggest snow bank i could find.. three feet.. and it climbed it greatly.. i have power for any hill but what setting should i have the carb needle on considering it is so cold.. feel like i lost power since it got colder..