Has Anyone Used This Speedometer/Odometer From Schwinn ?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Had one, gave it to a buddy when I remembered I had a GPS lol, it's a lil schizoid & not to be taken as "gospel" but will give ya a pretty good idea of your speeds (remember, the faster you go the more it'll be off), you may need a resistor plug like the NGK BPR6HS to keep it from freakin' out from the ignition's interference *shrug*

For the money it's defo better'n nufin :D

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I had one. It kept resetting, either from vibration or EMI from the plug wire. I use a Bell "Spin Fit" speedometer now and it doesn't give me too much trouble. Although when the battery is about dead it starts displaying crazy impossible speeds. according to that thing I was cruising around at 220 mph the other day! ...it may have been a little off. ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They offer that same speedo in a wired or a wireless version. The wireless is much more prone to electrical interference than the one with a wire. I have three of them and they all seem to function good. I typically mount my CDI on the seat tube which keeps it and the plug wire further from the speedometer so maybe that and the fact that I try to keep the wire away from the clutch and throttle cable is why I haven't had reset problems. As for accuracy? They'll put you in the ball park on speed but I've found the odometer feature is really close.
Tom

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I don't want to spend a lot, just get a basic idea of how fast I'm going. Limit here by law is 20mph, so I won't stress any brand much. I was wondering if anybody is familiar with this Schwinn inexpensive combo product.

Schwinn 12 Function Bicycle Computer : Target
I bought that exact speedo from walmart. It has worked flawlessly for 1500 miles
with a 4 stroke motor.
The speed is accurate too as checked against a GPS. You have to measure the
diameter of your wheel to get your speed correct.
My 26" x 2.25 front cruiser tire measured 26.5" and there is a chart in the instruction
booklet giving the mm number to enter into the speedo.
It will be 100% accurate if the diameter is correct as all it is doing is counting revolutions
of the wheel.
I have not tried one with a Chinese 2 stroke, you may have to get a resister plug and wire
but seeing that it is wired you may not have a problem with interference.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thats all I use and I have never had a problem with them. I have one I have been using for three years and it still works great.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I've got one and the only thing I did was clean the contacts under the speedo head this spring. One thing you may have to do if you notice it turning off a lot and having big jumps in speed is slightly heat and bend the little locking tab up, that helped mine out a lot.

I run the original plug, only replaced the plug wire because the boot broke after I'd installed the speedo, I don't have the pickup wire running that terribly far from the coil and it's always worked great.

A little trick my buddy showed me on setting one. Use the actual wheel diameter chart in the instructions, put a dot of 3&1 oil on your tire, roll the bike forward (with your weight on the bike) until the dot hits the ground twice, measure between the dots, use the formula in the instructions and you'll have the true tire diameter.

Last edited: