Plug wire replacement

GoldenMotor.com

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
Seems like I read somewhere (can't find it now of course) that it is a good idea to replace the plug wire and boot on these kits. Being that the CDI unit is sealed how is this accomplished? Thanks, Evan
dance1
zpt

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Hi Evan and welcome to the forumn, i replaced mine with a wire i bought frome autozone, i asked the guy at the counter and he took me behind the counter at the end of one of the isles where they had a whole variety of single wires for sale, the plug wires are held on with a screw that pops out of the unit, all you have to do is unscrew the old wire or twist it counter clockwise and it will come right off, Good luck

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
Ok. Cool. It looks pretty sealed up and i didn't want to damage it. I actually have a wire and cap (7mm I think) already so I'll give that a try. Thanks Wes.
Evan

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
This is a myth whoever first said that is wrong, that wire is better or the same as anything you will find the plug that goes on the spark plug may be crap to some peps, ive done 10,000km on a stock wire and boot with lots of off road ridin no difference. I have even dyno'd a stocka and a "hi performance wire" no difference your waisting you money, more strands of wire aint going to give you more power.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my stock wire might still be ok, but the boot, the crimp, and all the rest of the parts connected to it fell apart within weeks on my first bike. the "wire" itself is a brittle piece of crap, that's too short if you want to move your CDI.

when i took the stock plug off the head of my brand new, out of the box, never even mounted engine, the tip was bent sideways so bad it woulda only contacted half of the center electrode.

i paid like 8 bucks for 2 NGK B6HS plugs, 3' of solid copper core wire, 2 boots and crimps.

it's a small price to pay.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
my stock wire might still be ok, but the boot, the crimp, and all the rest of the parts connected to it fell apart within weeks on my first bike. the "wire" itself is a brittle piece of crap, that's too short if you want to move your CDI.

when i took the stock plug off the head of my brand new, out of the box, never even mounted engine, the tip was bent sideways so bad it woulda only contacted half of the center electrode.

i paid like 8 bucks for 2 NGK B6HS plugs, 3' of solid copper core wire, 2 boots and crimps.

it's a small price to pay.
Just how old was that brittle wire? and yeh the stock sparkplug is clearly crap.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
This is a myth whoever first said that is wrong, that wire is better or the same as anything you will find the plug that goes on the spark plug may be crap to some peps, ive done 10,000km on a stock wire and boot with lots of off road ridin no difference. I have even dyno'd a stocka and a "hi performance wire" no difference your waisting you money, more strands of wire aint going to give you more power.
Thats true, the ignition system for our china girls is not powerfull enough to make a difference in high performance wires, and i have ran the sock cap and wire for 8000+ miles before, the reason i replace mine is due to the fact that the sun in Tucson takes a beating on just about everything, so i wanted a wire that was built for high milage and heat, no more brittle wire and the ones i am using are not copper core wires and there is no difference in power!!! I thought that there would be a difference but there isnt!!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
stv1jzgte, the wire was new, at least to me. had it on my first bike for 2 weeks. now i don't even bother with them.

performance is hard to judge. i mean, my new plug and wire perform a million times better than my broken stock wire. if the wire won't stay on the plug, or is on loose and shakes around, interrupting the spark, then obviously, performance is greatly improved by changing it out.

as far as horsepower and speed, a change might not be noticeable, but in my experience, better plugs and wires means better spark. and better spark means better performance.

that said, i'm not suggesting some BS splitfire plug and mallory wires, those won't do anything, but a quality plug, wire and boot, will not only perform better, and longer, but you can hide the CDI and the wiring to make it look cooler, too...

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have done the new wire, plug and cap thing. Made me feel like I did some thing but truth be told, no real or quantifiable difference on the 2 smokes. More and more I am finding they are what they are. Really incredible and well designed. But only capable of so much or any improvement.

Just my thunks and could be wrong

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I bought a Magnicor wire and boot from SBP because I was looking for ways to get my speedo to work without reseting everytime I started the motor. Once I installed the new wire, The speedo works with no interference. Just thought Id throw this in here for people looking for ways to get their 10 dollar speedo to work.

yeeee haaaaa

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I bought a Magnicor wire and boot from SBP because I was looking for ways to get my speedo to work without reseting everytime I started the motor. Once I installed the new wire, The speedo works with no interference. Just thought Id throw this in here for people looking for ways to get their 10 dollar speedo to work.

yeeee haaaaa
Good input.I went ahead and bought the 3FT 7mm from Ebay for $4.50 along with a flashing spark plug cap!

7mm Wire
3 ft of spark plug wire 7mm snowmobile,atv ,lawnmower : eBay Motors (item 380193110381 end time Jan-30-10 07:08:30 PST)

Flashing Cap
FLASHING SPARK PLUG CAPS 90° bend, BLUE : eBay Motors (item 390058161822 end time Feb-04-10 03:06:44 PST)