Beer Cans For A Quieter Muffler!

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A 16 ounce beer can, cut cleanly around the ring at the top with a can opener, is an exact fit around my muffler. Two together extend the muffler several inches and cut down on the sound- not greatly but maybe 10-15 percent. The aluminum cuts fairly easily- snips on the bottom where the can opener won't fit!

Some radiator hose clamps hold them on- I've only got one now, but taped over the whole thing- it isn't real pretty, but my muffler wasn't before- and the end cap had vibrated off. I drilled some smaller holes in the end of the bottom one.

Plus it's all a great heat sheild to keep from getting burned! And definitely a Db or two quieter.

I don't think you can get busted for carrying empty containers if the top and bottom has been cut off!

if you're under age, this is the time of year they're laying in the ditches.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, I could post some pix, butlike I said it's not real pretty or anything-

It just looks like a normal muffler, but fatter and extended a few inches downward-
(hafta watch moving it down stairs)

and the whole things covered then in silver duct tape- not visual, but functional.

the thing about it is, is so easy and cheap-

and I personally think the noise is one of the biggest drawbacks about these 2 cycles-

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You have made it functional, so somebody else may be able to make it visually appealing.
I have also seen an air cleaner cover in this site made from the bottom part of a beer can with some holes drilled in it.
We owe so much to the brewing industry.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I did that years ago on my car, I was in the service (Air Force) very little money and the muffler rotted out, so I ran a straight section of pipe where the muffler use to be and at the very end of the tail pipe I put a beer can with four holes in the end of it. It eventually needed to be replaced but it lasted over a year and was pretty quite, no cops ever bothered with me. I used a exhaust pipe clamp to secure it.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
A 16 ounce beer can, cut cleanly around the ring at the top with a can opener, is an exact fit around my muffler. Two together extend the muffler several inches and cut down on the sound- not greatly but maybe 10-15 percent. The aluminum cuts fairly easily- snips on the bottom where the can opener won't fit!

Some radiator hose clamps hold them on- I've only got one now, but taped over the whole thing- it isn't real pretty, but my muffler wasn't before- and the end cap had vibrated off. I drilled some smaller holes in the end of the bottom one.

Plus it's all a great heat sheild to keep from getting burned! And definitely a Db or two quieter.

I don't think you can get busted for carrying empty containers if the top and bottom has been cut off!

if you're under age, this is the time of year they're laying in the ditches.
I just love this!!!....God is great ,beer is good,people are crazy........amenlaff

tonytt98

Jun 24, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
I tried this with a Icehouse beer can.

I cut the top with a can opener. Drilled eight 1/8" holes in a circle pattern on the bottom and one hole in the middle for bolting it to the end of the exhaust. Bolted it to the end of the exhaust and road off. It got rid of a little of the high snappy pitch sound of the exhaust which was nice. Helps it not penetrating house walls at 3am in the morning. Later that night, driving from the club about eight miles down the road, I heard it fall off. I looked down and the last 5 inches of the muffler was cherry red and blew a little flame out from the end of the pipe for a few seconds. It was an awesome visual effect. lol I'm wondering what the aluminium can looked like just before it fell off.. lol BTW the bolt is still in the end of the muffler so the beer can didn't fall off because the bolt came loose.

I'm thinking of trying the tomato paste can tip that Cabin mentioned.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
sorry, but this thread needs major bump-age... I cut slits in a beer can for my "first design" with a razorblade... it ran awesome compared to no end cap.. alot quieter than one would think.... I'm hooked now. Good thing I have like 300 b33r cans littering my room.... I plan to try many "designs" the slits worked quite fine.. more power band all around... post pics! seriously...

the stock end cap = a bad joke. imo... and no, b33r cans DO NOT fit around the stock muffler properly... the bottom end of the "b33r" can does however.. you can just bolt "experiments" right to it.

I hit 30+mph with my first trial... hope to improve it...
xct2

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
OK- so the assembly I posted the pix of- with the duct tape around the two cans is gone-

DON'T USE DUCT TAPE! it melts

After that I had just one can, with just the inner top cut off clamped on the muffler down near the bottom- Most of the baffle is still there and the regular pipe can dissipate it's heat normally.

Then this can came off again when the ridge at the top sheared off the can- so I'm now recommending the can be clamped on UNDER the can's aluminum ring, NOT ON the ring-(even though the ring itself is the exact fit on my own muffler at leastr)

But what I did learn, when the can fell off, was that the muffling difference was much greater than I first thought- a very noticable difference in volume when the can suddenly came off-

So right now the can is not on- I'm transporting the bike soon, and i'll be taking it up and down some stairs- the can assembly hangs down and is fragile- but is readily available and easily installed-

obviously any aluminum can will work, but the longer 16 oz will give a larger baffle and , like any horn instrument, a lower sound

I'm definitely gonna make this a standard addition when I'm up and riding again.

Susie Q.

Sep 5, 2009
New York
I'm thinking of trying the tomato paste can tip that Cabin mentioned.
yeah same here, i might take the beer can, stuff it with fiberglass or whatever silences it, then drill holes in the tomato paste can and stick it inside of the beer can,then sound can resonate thru the tomato paste can into the silencing stuff in the beer can. the attatch it somehow and drill holes in the bottom of the tomato paste can. .....diy ghetto silencer!! laff

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
but beer cans add just as much noise via the flexure of thin walls - like an infernal kazoo - or like a dome-resonator dobro guitar

you need thicker walls than a tin-can, i'm afraid.

(I used a "Brasso" bottle which is a tinned mild steel can with a threaded bottle-top on one end. I removed the base of the can leaving the rim end on, drilled a few holes round the open 'bottle-end' end and used a hose clamp to clamp it to the end of normal exhaust. The result was slightly more rather than slightly less noise. Not what I expected.)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No- I think the can works well. Like I said, the moment it came off when I was riding, it was a much more noticible and surprising difference than when it was on. The aluminum can does'nt have enough tensile strength or weight to resonate much- it's just another baffle.

Any longer pipe or extension can only lower the tone and cut down on volume, not increase it, unless I suppose one's hearing is more sensitive in a lower range.

I'd be a little careful about stuffing anything here- you don't want to increase the back pressure.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ifn you guys are this determined to reduce noise, you may wanna give this a shot;

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

It significantly lessened the noise level of my bike and is a much higher quality filter for those that play in the muck like I do ;)

With two strokes, a LOT of the noise comes from the intake and cobbling this setup together for $5 did a lot more than all my messing about with the stock exhaust :)