New From Indiana

GoldenMotor.com

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
Hello guys and gals... I'm a 24year old male from Indiana.. I've been reading allot lately about converting an old weed eater engine into a motor for a bicycle... This sounds very interesting to me.. They've shut the doors to the plant I work at so I'm looking for ways to save money this summer. Saving on gas while driving back and forth in city would be good way to start.. Plus it sounds like a fun toy..

I just got done looking at eBay and it seem like you can pick up kits for about $160 shipped..

I'm going to lurk around this board for awhile and see If I can get any more light on this subject. Any help of advice from folks that have experience with a motorized bicycle already would be greatly appreciated!

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Hey Chavo, welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear about your job. A motorized bike is easy on the gas. You can use a weed eater engine; people here have done that. Check out the DIY forum (DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum). You would be fabricating most of the parts yourself that way.

Many of the kits for sale have a china motor with a built-in gear box for a chain drive to the rear wheel. Whatever route you go, people here have lots of valuable info.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Welcome to the addiction, you'll never look at a bike the same way again! Look around a bit. You can get a better price than $160 I am sure. Be sure to check the vendors from the board.

.trk

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the old winter prices were $130 shipped and now they were raised on most sites to $160 shipped
and it is now a fair price.

Last edited:

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
After spending the last 3 days mushrooms hunting... I'm reading to do some research and get me and engine on the way!

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Mushroom hunting, huh? I was quenching my thirst in a bar Wed, and had a conversation about shroomin' (the legal kind). With all the rain we've been having, there should be mushrooms like patio umbrellas. My brother's an expert, but the only one's I'd feel safe identifying are morels and cauliflower.

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
Mushroom hunting, huh? I was quenching my thirst in a bar Wed, and had a conversation about shroomin' (the legal kind). With all the rain we've been having, there should be mushrooms like patio umbrellas. My brother's an expert, but the only one's I'd feel safe identifying are morels and cauliflower.
I have some friends in Palestine IL and they were finding them last week. You'd better be getting yourself out in the woods looking..

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
Ya mean, Palatine, Ill? If so, I was raised in that place, such a long time ago! Never knew there was mushrooms there though. Was a smallish town when I was growing up, but now it's all part of the gridlock and madness.

Hey, welcome to the fun, BTW!
yeah maybe that is how you spell it I'm not 100% sure... I've only been there once.. From what I hear it's a "rodeo" town.. I just heard story's about parting down by the river and how wild it "use to be"..