Here I go again,Briggs build

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey Curt, having little knowledge on intake, I will search threads for a pic. My concern is making it too long that suck power is diminished. And yeah handle bar is a great match. I'm probably going to have it welded. I'll spot where each end goes, cause my welds are not thin enough and I'm gonna need thin welds. I'm only working with a hf 90 amp.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Awlright, got the pz bolted up, wow, started right up and idled, reved, idled, haven't touched the adj screws. Heck of a difference from the stock lawn edger carb. I picked up an old 2hp lawn edger engine and compared bore and stroke to mine, I got at least a 3hp. Stroke is like 5/16 longer and bore is 1/16 larger. Happy! Probably be able to test run tomorrow. Then strip her down and paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A lot of them small engines are the same internally and the hp difference is the carb. Bike is looking good..................Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey curt, yeah that's why I helped a guy put a new valve on his toilet connect in trade for his 2hp lawn eager engine, my stock carb was missing the air/gas screw. So I put the screw in, it ran like a lawn edger. I am amazed at the difference a real carb makes. I'm rejuvenated back into this build. I found also that the I.d # was 60102, mine is 80202 . I read that the first # is c.i. Hey, would you know if its just a Briggs thing when I rev it and close the throttle quickly, that it does the backfire thing a couple times?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you ever take it apart a little port honing helps also, I think they all pop on rapid return ,but also could be lean. Check the plug color, also check the valve clearance , the book says 7 intake & 9 exhaust ...........Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Thx curt, I went for a ride, yep its a keeper! Briggs power rocks! I could probably take a ride up to big bear on this bike. Now I gotta strip it down for paint. I'm taking measurement's for a Briggs swap on DelRio.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, she was little lean. Once its back together I'll try and rich n it up. I thought better of my rear brake setup, the horseshoe bracket allowed side flex not allowing brake arms to squeeze the rim tightly. So I cut up a tail section from a duel sus. laying around and put the stanchions on the frame. Also added engine mount to hopefully stop the back and forth shuddering on take off.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah curt, just checked e bay...64$$ they are nice. Wishful thinking here..that I might find one for 20$$.. welll, I guess ill do the ole rack mount. Thx.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey SB, what cb2 showed is it! That's all I want. Do you solder the tank and cap, cause that's all I'm capable of, along with a coating of shhh! (jbweld).... I've got water bottles that I just drilled a hole and planted a valve with jb and no problems. I think a lg. can of bush beans would do it. If not the big juice cans would definitely do it. Dang I like it when help is needed, experience shows up, thx!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
These were 27oz(a weight measure, not fluid) bean cans like Lucks beans come in. I soldered them together then hole sawed an opening and soldered on the neck/cap from another type can. I used a 1/4" brass air fitting for the fuel line outlet. Took about an hour to make.I then sloshed sealed the tank.
has been trouble free being used over a rough unpaved road for quite some time.
Just be sure the cans are sanded at the joint to remove the coating and use some kind of flux.

The large juice can might be easier. SB has a nice thread on making one including a beautiful leather cover. Way above my talent level!

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Awl right, went thread searching, found the juice can threads, and will be drinking some juice today! I have a bernz pencil torch, gotta find silver solder, I have notice reg. solder got quite pricey lately. Do you have to coat the inside?? Coating are pricey too. Thx again for your experiential knowledge

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
All the new solder for copper plumbing is silver and will work + the flux. Local motor cycle shop should have seal kits just for tanks, may even do it along with another tank if they are doing any, if you get it so it don't leak no real need for coating. Just more or less a safety measure.....................Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
That's maybe why it seemed solder did a huge price jump. Well got juice can. Had to get tomato Here's my color choice. The cover I did that way so as to slim it down in appearance. Got a couple of warm days here in so cal.so I can get my paint on.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, got the tank done. Used a copper 1" so a station pump will fit. My pencil torch took a dump, it wouldn't get going, just a slow flame, it a bernz too. So I tried the map torch, woaaa too much heat. Sooo jb to the rescue. It'll be fine. I once did a scroll saw up and down bar that was broke at the front end with a strap and JB I mended it together and never broke, with all the up, down vibs. Got the frame painted, engine dressed, new gaskets. Gotta get fenders eventually. Man I passed up a Briggs today at the swapp meet. It was a model 90102 made in 95. So if a 60--- is a 2 hp and a 80--- is 3hp than, 9 must be 3.5 hp ???

Attachments

Last edited: