Danger

GoldenMotor.com

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Have any of you here, know or heard(self?_) get bad hurt or even killed on one of these bikes?

I would think some would lose track they are still riding a bicycle among traffic and could easily lose thought when turning or whatnot....into the path of a car.

Just posting this out there to help remind people that it's pretty dangerous out there.

I'm big on safety, so.... there you go.bf.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
If a person is so scatterbrained that they lose track of what they are doing/riding they have no business driving a vehicle of any kind. They are a serious danger to themselves and to other drivers.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I also agreee that if they're so scatterbrained they lose track of what they'ew doinr or where the cars are, or even where they are on the road it's time to put it up...

I'll tell everyone what I do to survive on a motorcycle in one of the worst cities for riding.. I pay attention to every car that's anywhere near me and assume each and every one of them is trying to hit me so I make sure there's a way to get away from any car that's close to me.

Some of the stuff I've experienced a lot in San Antonio traffic is that most people in cars act like I'm not there and will change lanes right into my lane, they'll tailgate even if I'm going over the speed limits, they'll look right at me then pull out in front of me so I always have to be aware of cars coming off side streets. I've had 2 really close calls where I thought I was going to hit someone because they pulled out in front of me, the first accident was avoided thanks to slamming on the brakes and I came to a stop about 3 feet from the guy's passenger side door... this guy lookes Really surprised when he saw my bike right there so he obviously didn't see me when he pulled out, even tho it was at night. The other time was about a year later and i truck pulled out in front of me, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid getting hit that time because he was too close to me to just hit the brakes hard. Then about a year ago I was sitting at a stoplight and a car rear ended me on my Harley because he was looking at his kids in the back seat while aproaching the intersection. Lucky for me he was almost stopped already and it just pushed me forward a few feet. Of course, a driver in a car will cut someone on a motorcycle off without even thinking about it so it's always important to never put yourself in a position where you don't have a way out when others aren't paying attention to you or simply don't see you.
Simply put... NEVER speed on the access roads or any other streets where there are side streets and no traffic lights, Always be fully aware of your surroundings and be constantly looking for your way out if things don't go as planned.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I also agreee that if they're so scatterbrained they lose track of what they'ew doinr or where the cars are, or even where they are on the road it's time to put it up...

I'll tell everyone what I do to survive on a motorcycle in one of the worst cities for riding.. I pay attention to every car that's anywhere near me and assume each and every one of them is trying to hit me so I make sure there's a way to get away from any car that's close to me.

Some of the stuff I've experienced a lot in San Antonio traffic is that most people in cars act like I'm not there and will change lanes right into my lane, they'll tailgate even if I'm going over the speed limits, they'll look right at me then pull out in front of me so I always have to be aware of cars coming off side streets. I've had 2 really close calls where I thought I was going to hit someone because they pulled out in front of me, the first accident was avoided thanks to slamming on the brakes and I came to a stop about 3 feet from the guy's passenger side door... this guy lookes Really surprised when he saw my bike right there so he obviously didn't see me when he pulled out, even tho it was at night. The other time was about a year later and i truck pulled out in front of me, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid getting hit that time because he was too close to me to just hit the brakes hard. Then about a year ago I was sitting at a stoplight and a car rear ended me on my Harley because he was looking at his kids in the back seat while aproaching the intersection. Lucky for me he was almost stopped already and it just pushed me forward a few feet. Of course, a driver in a car will cut someone on a motorcycle off without even thinking about it so it's always important to never put yourself in a position where you don't have a way out when others aren't paying attention to you or simply don't see you.
Simply put... NEVER speed on the access roads or any other streets where there are side streets and no traffic lights, Always be fully aware of your surroundings and be constantly looking for your way out if things don't go as planned.
I've had similar experiences, always ride a bike or motorcycle as if everyone is trying to kill you, the moment you let that guard down and assume they watch and care you'll find yourself in an accident or dead.

Im like you Dave Im a hyper defensive rider, Im not riding scared since that will get you dead just as quick as taking chances but I watch watch and double watch and you much stay focused on what your surroundings are all the time.

A few seconds of day dreaming can be the last few seconds of your life.

I agree, if someone is so scatterbrained they easily loose track of whats going on around them they have no business riding or driving anything..bf.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I find the experience intense. Don't have to worry much about other cars even though I have had a couple close calls. I'm watching the road like a hawk for any possible problems coming up and listening to the bike. I rarely encounter another vehicle but sometimes bicycles or tractors so it's all about the bike which is what I like most.

If you lose track of what you are doing it won't be long before something bad happens.

Dan

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've been riding bicycles and motorcycles all of my life and the drivers around here are some of the worst in the world. I've made it to age 57 and I still ride everyday and most days are near death experiences around here on two wheels.

Every singe day a hand full of motorcyclists die in the world.....every single day. Are they dangerous? Of course they are! Don't ride on the streets if you don't know what you're doing because nobody see's or cares about you on your two-wheeled bike........motor or not!

brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've been riding bicycles and motorcycles all of my life and the drivers around here are some of the worst in the world. I've made it to age 57 and I still ride everyday and most days are near death experiences around here on two wheels.

Every singe day a hand full of motorcyclists die in the world.....every single day. Are they dangerous? Of course they are! Don't ride on the streets if you don't know what you're doing because nobody see's or cares about you on your two-wheeled bike........motor or not!

brnot
Amen....scotto...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I can agree with that... Nobody cares about you when on 2 wheels so ya gotta take care of yourself and Always make sure you got a way out of any potential situations that could land ya in the hospital or cemetary.... This doesn't mean to be afraid everytime you're riding because that'll cause a wreck just as fast by being over cautious, but it does mean to pay attention to your surroundings constantly and don't do anything stupid on busy public streets...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's not that they don't care about us, it's that they don't "see" us.

No matter how big our bikes are (full dress Harley) we are smaller than the smallest car. Sometimes they don't see cars either. How many insurance reports state the driver never saw the other vehicle? Lots.

It truly sucks that there are so many oblivious people out there, but there are. And they will kill you if you expect them to see you. Sometimes they even run into trees. They really didn't mean to, they didn't do it on purpose you know, but you will be just as dead as if they did.

Yup, always prepare to be invisible - :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
true that some people dont see us but the fact that some dont care is very true.... some people assume that because your on a bike you can stop quicker and get out of the way easier, it doesnt take to long to figure this out when you've spent enough time in town on a motorcycle or bicycle for that matter.