How choppy is too choppy for stock china girl motor?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Now im just curious about this since its my buddies bike or you could say the spare bike since its for anyone that comes over that would like to cruise, but how choppy is the stock motor whn first starting the engine? I replaced the piston rings and magneto side crank seal because i used them and it was a brand new motor. Now this motor has somewhere around 50? miles on it. I know its supposed to be choppy because its new and hasnt been broken into and also the crank isnt balanced of course but how choppy is the stock motor? when you pick up speed the choppiness goes away but of course the vibrations kick in, but i think that can be adjusted by adding a smaller sprocket in the back like a 36 tooth. Im just curious about this because i dont remember if my stock motor was ever that choppy

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: How choppy is too choppy for stock china girl?

Please define, "choppy". Rough? Surging? Jerky at low speeds?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

They're all like that because the engine wants to idle higher than the wheel speed is allowing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Anything below about 8 to 10 mph and you should disengage the clutch and pedal the bike. That will prevent any jerky action.
These engines aren't geared for very low speeds and they aren't like a car with an automatic transmission.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Anything below about 8 to 10 mph and you should disengage the clutch and pedal the bike. That will prevent any jerky action.
These engines aren't geared for very low speeds and they aren't like a car with an automatic transmission.

Tom
Quoted for the truth.

After I adjusted my carb, it did the herky jerky thing at 11mph unless i feather the throttle. lol

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Nope. It's a matter of engine speed almost exclusively. Oil ratio would have very little to do with it.

Just don't ride at low speed or pull the clutch and pedal. :p

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland

well if it were me riding it i wouldnt care as much but since its a spare bike and my buddy rides it he complains that its so jerky (hes just not that INTO motorized bicycles as i am)

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod

well if it were me riding it i wouldn't care as much but since its a spare bike and my buddy rides it he complains that its so jerky (hes just not that INTO motorized bicycles as i am)
Finesse is something your born with and fine tune over the years.
It sounds to me like '' no offence intended'' your buddy isn't very mechanically inclined.

I notice a lot people who are not very M.I. just can't seem to ride very well and they can be very dangerous, it's as if have no feel or ear for what the motor is doing or about to do they CAN HURT THEM SELVES OR WORSE YOUR BIKE
P.S I Can't stand this tiny key board windows needs to incorporate a copy paste / change from upper case to lower case on account I hate retyping junk.

.bf..bf.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

This is a common problem and is more prevalent with youngsters who have never been exposed to vehicles with manual transmissions. There is a 'feel' that one acquires for engine speed and clutch engagement that only comes with experience. Coordinating those two elements takes a little practice but almost anyone can master the technique given enough time.

Of course it helps if the person has at least a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics involved but not absolutely necessary. I don't know how a computer works, but I can use one.

Tell your friend to ride more and practice using the clutch properly. Both he and the bike will be happier.

Tom

Last edited:

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland

Finesse is something your born with and fine tune over the years.
It sounds to me like '' no offence intended'' your buddy isn't very mechanically inclined.

I notice a lot people who are not very M.I. just can't seem to ride very well and they can be very dangerous, it's as if have no feel or ear for what the motor is doing or about to do they CAN HURT THEM SELVES OR WORSE YOUR BIKE
P.S I Can't stand this tiny key board windows needs to incorporate a copy paste / change from upper case to lower case on account I hate retyping junk.

.bf..bf.
i will agree wit the mechanically inclined part. Im the one that actually rebuilt that bike for him along with building my bicycle. First time actually doing my own project with my own two hands with never riding a bicycle for years till this year lol but i will say that he did take two spills on the bicycle while trying to turn that i think could of been avoided.

This is a common problem and is more prevalent with youngsters who have never been exposed to vehicles with manual transmissions. There is a 'feel' that one acquires for engine speed and clutch engagement that only comes with experience. Coordinating those two elements takes a little practice but almost anyone can master the technique given enough time.

Of course it helps if the person has at least a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics involved but not absolutely necessary. I don't know how a computer works, but I can use one.

Tell your friend to ride more and practice using the clutch properly. Both he and the bike will be happier.

Tom
well he knows a manual considering him and i have been driving manual performance cars for the past 7 years. Hes got a civic si and i have a built wrx. i will admit, using ur left hand is a bit difference with engaging the clutch as opposed to using ur foot, but i will have that down to a "T" since ill be goin thru my motorcycle classes sometime this year.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

It's really not that hard. You just have to actually think about it. These bikes are contraptions that are usually willing to fly apart at any second, so you can't really be absent minded about riding them. When I want to turn around, I just pull the clutch, and coast around. Simple.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

It's actually easier than you think to adjust yourself to the hand controls. It doesn't take very long at all to develop muscle memory. I used to have a 2 stroke bike, and I usually didn't even think about pulling the clutch. When I built my 4 stroke with an automatic clutch, I put my front brake on the left. The first few times I drove it, I'd catch myself "clutching" when taking off because I was so used to doing it on my last bike. But after a day or two, I was totally used to the change and stopped doing it.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Not my bike dodge. I took 2Doors advise along time ago. Rule#1 check your bike daily. Rule#2 wear proper safety equipment . if you're worried about your bike flying apart any minute you must not have very good mechanical skills are no confidence in what you built

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Not my bike dodge. I took 2Doors advise along time ago. Rule#1 check your bike daily. Rule#2 wear proper safety equipment . if you're worried about your bike flying apart any minute you must not have very good mechanical skills are no confidence in what you built
I used to have zero confidence. But they do feel like they are going to fly apart at that high an RPM.

Maybe I'm just too negative after my thoughts of the rod letting loose and grenading the engine on a downhill. lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I used to have zero confidence. But they do feel like they are going to fly apart at that high an RPM.

Maybe I'm just too negative after my thoughts of the rod letting loose and grenading the engine on a downhill. lol
Don't worry, Dodge. Mopar didn't build them so they should hold together

That's from a Chevy powered Ford guy. :)

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Don't worry, Dodge. Mopar didn't build them so they should hold together

That's from a Chevy powered Ford guy. :)

Tom
You think Dodges are bad?
Heh, you should see my 76 D200. It's ugly but runs like a top and will pull trailers and shred tires all day long. :D