Newbie looking for a summer project

GoldenMotor.com

Skajaquada

Jun 20, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey I am a high school student who is looking for a summer project. I came across a Motor bike from Mad BikeZ in Verona,Wisconsin. Now i'm interested in building one of my own. But i have a few questions.
First. i have two bikes available to me. one is a Schwinn occ chopper bike and the other is a beach cruiser (im not sure the brand). which is recommended for this build? looks and usability.
Second I am looking at the Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit from king motor bikes. http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/product_2218_detailed.htm . is this a good engine? would you recommend something else? my budget for the engine kit is $180 including shipping. Thank you very much

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Welcome to the fun!

Oh, I think either of those two bikes would work. Run "OCC" on the search thing and read about them a bit before you go that way. There is more than enough info on this site to get you were you need to go.

usflg

Skajaquada

Jun 20, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Welcome to the fun!

Oh, I think either of those two bikes would work. Run "OCC" on the search thing and read about them a bit before you go that way. There is more than enough info on this site to get you were you need to go.

usflg
It seems like the occ chopper needs a lot of modifications, is this true? would it just be easier to use the cruiser? Thanks

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Yes, because the occ has a wider rear wheel it needs a special sprocket adapter, if I remember reading correctly. Also, you need an offset engine mount for the aforementioned reason. You can get the mounts for them on ebay, but that's gonna put you over the 180. I am speaking from what I have read on the subject, I think it would be a cool project though, and the finished product would look phenomenal if done correctly. That said, the beach cruisers require little modification (The only part that I had to fabricate was the front motor mount. I made it out of a D-296 strong-tie, from home depot, and a muffler clamp) and the end result looks very good.

Last edited: