Gold plating/coating chrome?

GoldenMotor.com

Pcain

Apr 30, 2012
Melb Australia
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to do a black/gold style of bike. Is there a cheap DIY way of gold plating or gold like painting to a shiny finish? I have chrome bars and spoked rims I'd like to have at a shiny gold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked at gold plating kits, but the cost is too great.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, do a google search. I know there is a "clear gold" paint....I have used it on some modeling projects.

Spraying it over chrome will give the desired effect.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
ive done gold plating at work the tools are cheap and easy to use its the gold itself thats costly,price of gold has gone up so much that we stoped doing it, no profit to be made unless you charge outragous prices. having done the process the first step was to remove the chrome leaving the copper undercoating which kinda looked gold. this might be a cheaper option. good luck.

OneBulkyGuy

May 11, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Ever tried Spaz Stix paints? I know a lot of guys in the rc industry that use Spaz Stix for almost everything, including myself. You can order direct from their website at:http://www.spazstix.com

They have 2 products you might consider for the project you are working on:
1 - Ultimate Mirror Chrome Paint (in airbrush or aerosol). Best ANYWHERE!
2 - Hard Anodized Gold Candy Paint (also in airbrush or aerosol).

Basically, you would put the Ultimate Mirror Chrome paint on first and spray a 2 part Urethane Clear over it. Then, put a clear gold over that.

Good Luck!

Last edited: