ID this old shaft drive bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Appears to be a Columbia Chainless built by Pope Manufacturing around the turn of the century. I believe there was an episode of "American Pickers" were they purchased one. $1000-1200 is about retail, But this one seems to be sporting a pretty thick coat of black paint. Inspect it really well before making any decision. I'd start at $400 and work towards $600. But I hope you aren't planning on motoring it. I have bought a few vintage bikes nothing of this level so do some checking to check me I am by no means an expert. Good luck!

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
I'll give you a grand for it now.
Well...payday.

Love the shaft drive. You ARE going to do a shift kit, RIGHT?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'll give you a grand for it now.
Well...payday.

Love the shaft drive. You ARE going to do a shift kit, RIGHT?
...And if you do a shift kit, take lots of pics. I want to see how it's done.

BTW: that is a seriously nice old bike there.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I'm looking at THE AMERICAN BICYCLE book. It says, "...most major manufacturers introduced a chainless in the last half of the 1890's, it never did displace the chain-drive." The Victor Chainless had rollers on the teeth to reduce friction in 1899, Columbia had a ..." 'bevel gear' shaft drive which sold reasonably well. ... in an enclosed system and could be 'taken apart and put together by any person of ordinary intelligence,' according to its advertising." Orient Chainless and Pierce Company had a chain drive. The book doesn't show any chainless bicycles after 1900.
I don't know if the bicycle is American-made, or to determine the age by looking at the frame. It uses beveled gears and Columbia probably sold more chainless bikes than the others. Thankyou.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
OK, I acquired the chainless bike today. I got it for $300, but don't know if that's a good value price or not. Good price to me though.

Great mechanical conditon with no apparent wear in the gears and bushings.
Does have several coats of paint and a dent in the top tube. Anybody got ideas about fixing that dent? Forks are bent some but that should be an easy fix.
Need to find a period seat and grips.

Has dryrotted 28X1 3/8 Penn-Olimpic tires. Are those tires and tubes sizes still available?

I found the stamped numerals 6742 at the top of the seat tube. Anybody got a clue about them?

This thing is very light! 30.5 lbs. Never had any brakes. The pedals don't freewheel. You push down when the pedals are coming up to slow it.
IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg
I ain't gonna put a engine on it, but an old Villeres would sure look good in there.
Hmmm, mebbe just an antiqued solex clone for just a little while;~)

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I'm too tired to check that book, from what I remember Major Taylor was one of the best racers and around the last half of the 1890's he rode a chainless for a year or so because the manufacturer wanted the publicity for the sales department. I'll get back when I read that book and look at the pictures real close. Thankyou.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
I think you got a real deal! The dent in the top tube, I would isolate the top tube on both sides of the dent and use a stud puller. a little filler and paint good to go.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think you got a real deal! The dent in the top tube, I would isolate the top tube on both sides of the dent and use a stud puller. a little filler and paint good to go.
Good news on the dent! On another forum someone suggested to try hardwood clamp dies to "roll" some of the dent out. Well I tried it and got great results. Removed abput 75% of the dent before I cracjed one of the blocks from improper grain orentation. Looks good to me. I may or may not use filler. Here's before and after pix.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have verified that it is an 1898 Pope Columbia model 50. Can someome give me a lead on someone who might sell me an appropiate headbadge? Here's a pic of one IMG_0315.jpg

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hi. I'm too tired to check that book, from what I remember Major Taylor was one of the best racers and around the last half of the 1890's he rode a chainless for a year or so because the manufacturer wanted the publicity for the sales department. I'll get back when I read that book and look at the pictures real close. Thankyou.
Bit o' trivia: we have a track here in Indianapolis named after him - Major Taylor Velodrome. It's on the north side; they're still restoring it right now, but it is currently back in use. I've thought about going up there on an off-day and seeing if they'll let me run WOT on the track for a short bit.

:)