Motorbicycling.com Magizine

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers Rebel. Designing the cover (sure to be a collector's item. Or not, lol) Have the basic frame done and waiting on some contributers. But Hope to have the first edition printed by spring time. Bit of a juggling act with other projects but so far, so good.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
This would put us on the news and could be payed for by adds on the pages,but the adds need to be only a 10%-20% no more,local business would be interested and our numbers would grow
If 2 honerable mention adds were on a page in the 10-20% space at 3 cents per add and it cost 3 cents to print a page that would go a long way for distribution
(adjust prices accordingly and offer free add placement drawings weekly-monthly as a drawing card )
People will read it without question,,,,Going Green the Affordable Fun Way

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
This all sounds great. I just read through the thread - has the possibility of staying away from print altogether and running it strictly as an e-zine been considered? Sorry if I missed that discussion in someone's post. Just thinking since so much print media has been going down the tubes in recent years and that just last month, Amazon.com reported that downloadable book sales have now exceeded all other forms, that this might be the way to go. It wouldn't be all that difficult to set up - cover page via for-pay password linked from this site with subsequent pages linked from there. There's flash out there that would allow the pages to appear to be pulled back from the corner when the links are clicked. Just a thought. Sure would be a lot cheaper than printing and distributing paper.

Heres' a freebie version: http://www.flashpageflip.com/demos/free/

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers Fish. Main focus will be digital, web and ereader. But want some old school hard copy too. Some thing for the barbershop and rest room. Was kinda shocked how easy it is to "get published" on the ereaders.

Writing is on the wall. News papers and magazines will soon be a thing of the past. End of an era.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well... considering the trees/paper saved I'll live with it. Classics of literature will always be in REAL print, Milton, Shelly, Dante and Churchill will never disappear from the (my) shelves.
I have a 1969 edition of encyclopedia Britannica with all the up dates to the present day that sucks up about 15 feet of shelf space in my library, I haven't opened it in years.
(2 computers ago).
I was wondering why this wasn't going directly to digital in the first place.
I wonder what the cost of real printing will be?
I'd just like the down loadable version, if I need to print something that I can look at as im working on a bike ... its easy enough.
P.S.
LOL @ rest room!
BBB

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Yeppers Fish. Main focus will be digital, web and ereader. But want some old school hard copy too. Some thing for the barbershop and rest room. Was kinda shocked how easy it is to "get published" on the ereaders.

Writing is on the wall. News papers and magazines will soon be a thing of the past. End of an era.
perhaps could do it as a 1st issue only, be printed and not digital. all subsequent would be digital.

reason is, it would be a collectors item.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nutton like putting a lil pressure on me Skarrd. (LOL, kidding buddy)

I was actually thinking along those lines and really want the first issue to be really well done, written and to have a cover worth framing. Now we just need some one else to do it, to achieve all that, snork.

Been thinking, cover a China girl on a cruiser frame (first issue, as I posted. I really like that pic but am open to suggestions) Adding a sort of high tech and uber cool stuff. BA's trike and Fish's steam drive. I want to strike a balance between the casual/hobbyist builder and the high end tech wise builders.

Just typing out loud so forgive me for rambling. Decided to do a calender centerfold. Pic sideways of a MB on one page with a calender on the following.
Will setup some of the web and erader stuff tomorrow.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
right on!! can't wait for this to come out! XD

but still it's good to try and keep a balance like you said. too often i see magazines (or even just picture swapping on forums) where someone like me with my garage built frankenstien bike would feel out of place amongst the chrome clad show bikes.

i think really there could be 3 categories for what it could fit into.

show bike: 'eye' candy, might not be practical for daily riding.
race bike: like show bike, but built purely for speed, still may not be practical for daily riding.
casual bike: here's the daily rider. could be somewhat nice to look at, possibly a little peppy, but designed for riding and crusing around town daily.

i'm kinda rambling here also but still. i feel it's important to consider that people that don't have deep pockets may want to try to contribute or some how have their bike mentioned.

maybe something like each issue have a page or two filled with just pictures of peoples rides. not huge pictures, but just filled with them.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Please keep right on rambling Skarrd. Good stuff. Really trying hard to keep it focused on not being focused on a particular manor of build or builder. Keep it aimed at and for the community as a whole. My thing seems to be cheap cruiser bikes and cheap engines. Really getting out of touch with China Girls/Happy times. Have no experience with the high end, super engines.

Just saying thanks to all for helping keep it a true representation and service to us as a whole.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Dan :i've been working on guide book for backroads of N IL. And S WI. And would gladly let you use it for content. Right now its about twenty pages and growing.
Back in my climbing days we printed little guide zines all the time . The bigest draw back was get around to dist. Them all over , mb solves that problem right.
Totaly agree w your coment on the " i'll help out " atude in this forum , count me in for whatever I can do.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan :i've been working on guide book for backroads of N IL. And S WI. And would gladly let you use it for content. Right now its about twenty pages and growing.
Back in my climbing days we printed little guide zines all the time . The bigest draw back was get around to dist. Them all over , mb solves that problem right.
Totaly agree w your coment on the " i'll help out " atude in this forum , count me in for whatever I can do.
Awesome Shop Dog, and great idea! When I read your post I got to thinking of some of my favorite little routes. Took yrs to find and are MB friendly and fun. Be great to share them with folks. One takes you over one bridge, threw a park and back across. Can be varied so you go threw either industrial areas (my favorite) or threw scenic kinda roads. Just sayin' be really hard to find. Gonna add that as a section. This (MB Mag) needs content and would you be interested in writing some thing and maybe taking some pics to add? I was thinking ride routes but any thing you would enjoy. You have some great thoughts and humor. The duck's pants thing cracked me up.

This is such a great idea on the mag. I really hope this materializes, sign me up........!
Cool Map! Is in the works and still looking for contributers. Have it mapped out and almost ready for print. I came into a really great opportunity ( http://motorbicycling.com/f28/floating-hotdog-cart-27577-6.html ) and this had to take a back seat. I may not make the early spring dead-line I set for my self but is gonna happen. Once that project starts, I am thinking I will have a whole lotta time sitting by the river with nothing to do but work on this. lol. Feast or famine. Time or money. Always and never enough or too much....

[email protected]

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
When the map projects started i was thinking about a fovorite rides map, but a mag. Can cover the subject so much better . Something that fits in my jacket pocket not on a laptop or phone. Then it struck me that using both one might place a location on map with link to printer friendly web zineie , with content submited by users but edited and compiled by mag. It's a good way to focus on local add. And people only need print volumes they want.

I like to have a good map of any new area and have as much fun at home reading up and planing as i do on the trip. I love the idea of mb vacations and going to a spot the mag. Highlighted would be perfect .

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the printer friendly e-zine is sized to drag the items (or copy and paste) to the print page lay-out sized to print so the page can be folded two ways to fit in a pocket and folded open to the square needed for the area your doing,that would be useful(1/4 page size maps etc,thats 8 different Items per sheet that can be folded to the outside for quick reference)

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I was thinking that someone ready to enter a ride would visit a web site that like you described would allow them to enter text ,photos and maps in a set format then after passing an edit check a code/link to content is posted on map page for user to then view and print.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dawgs (Shop Dogs) and Corgi, uber cool thought and exactly the kind of thing my mission with this folly is. But could this also be had/down loaded with Google Maps I in no way want to dissuade so please forgive me. But with their bazillions of $, might do a better job. We can add MB friendly-er routes but I am thinking thats about it. Dunno. Am I wrong? Not the first time, snork.

Is about us. For and by us. Please keep thunking! (I am sure I could be completely lost and confused and lost. Or at least confused.) or lost

U folks rock!