Too Big part 2... thats what she said...

GoldenMotor.com

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
Well its mounted and I think that it looks kick ass. Wife says its to big but what do you say about that...

Drilled out and reversed the bracket on the light. Created an aluminum bracket and mounted with brass straps to the springer. After that I added an aluminum shroud over the top tube where it meets the tank in front of the head tube to hide the battery and wires support foam and other nonsense.

News is that the 1-3 watt Cree bulbs that I had on hand were really no match for the 55 watt bulb that came with the light. I took 2Door's advise (thanks brother) but went with a 7.2 rechargeable 4200 mah RC battery.

Very happy, easy to recharge, last a long while and can tether an extra battery if needed, good quality and swanky look... thats what I said.dance1

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
As far as the wife's opinion,she is totaly right,as for us she will probebly tell you we have strange Ideas 'cause as for me I still think its great and the RC battery sounds like a good lite power source for the light,only other thing I can think of is a $20.00 re-chargeble drill batt'(some one may have mentioned that on the other thread)

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
As far as the wife's opinion,she is totaly right,as for us she will probebly tell you we have strange Ideas 'cause as for me I still think its great and the RC battery sounds like a good lite power source for the light,only other thing I can think of is a $20.00 re-chargeble drill batt'(some one may have mentioned that on the other thread)
true-true... but my drill is way more important than my rc car

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I really like that light... enough so that I'm driving a hundred miles each way today to go to Harbor Freight in Duluth, MN. Not just for that, but it is the main reason. I think I'm going to try a Cree bulb in the 5-6 Watt range to see how bright it is. I'm going to run two sidewall generators on my new four stroke build. A six volt 3 watt one for running and brake lights and dedicate the 12 volt 6 watt one to just the headlight. I've already wired up a small battery box as backup for the smaller lights. I hope the Cree is good enough... mostly to be seen by motorists. Even if I never wired it to anything, that headlight is just cool! You did a nice job mounting it.
SB

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Nice light!! Maybe you should get specs on your mount & have a patent made so someone can make them for sale,,, possibly Manic Mechanic can set something set up, this could be a second income for you.. I really like the light but can't see to much detail how it is mounted, is there nylon nuts behind the allen heads ?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dang, dang dang! No, there's no fire. I drove all the way to Duluth to learn that the last light was sold yesterday when a guy came in and bought all of the remaining ones. He bought my light! Well, it woulda been. Guess I'll wait until I'm on my way to the east coast to get one along the way somewhere. There are some real disadvantages to living out in the boonies. I imagine shipping would be almost as much as the light. Goona go look...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I went ahead and ordered a light. $6.99 shipping by FedEx. The trip was OK though since I wanted one of the 8 ton bottle jacks and picked up some other stuff like cut off wheels for the dremel. I also wanted to look at one of the Greyhound motors, but all I got to see was a cardboard box with one inside it. Mildly interesting, but not any better than a picture on the internet. I have a question. It was on sale for $79.99 IF you are a member of their savings club (something like that) which costs $30.00 a year. I saw other things with a special price for members of the savings club. Is that always the case with the HF motors when they come on sale? Do you need to be a card carrying member? If I had a Harbor Freight near me it would be one thing, but driving 200 miles total to buy hardware is something else. You guys who live near one are lucky. On the other hand living where I do has its advantages, too. Last evening I watched the sun go down from the middle of the lake where my neighbor and I were fishing for Walleye. In the balance of things I'll take the forest life. Maybe it's good that HF is a hundred miles away...
SB

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
That is a very nice light,and a nice clean set up.Have you tried it down the road yet?I'm just wondering if the up and down motion of the springer is going to be a factor?If not great!If it does jiggle the light keep an eye on the mounting bkt.Might not even be an issue.Nice work! Kip.

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
That is a very nice light,and a nice clean set up.Have you tried it down the road yet?I'm just wondering if the up and down motion of the springer is going to be a factor?If not great!If it does jiggle the light keep an eye on the mounting bkt.Might not even be an issue.Nice work! Kip.
It mounted to the front springer but the mount is pretty hardcore (knock on wood) and tight as all ****. As always I will closely monitor any of my "home improvements" to make sure that they stay on the bike as designed. Thanks!