Where do I find a Schwinn style springer headset?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Where do I find one at? Do they come in a sealed bearing type? The nut on the top says 1" 24T. Does that mean I have a 1 " headset?

Thanks,
Pat

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
You should be able to get a 1 inch head set at just about any local bike shop, that sells BMX bikes and
Beach Cruisers. Here is a link to some information on headset sizing Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Ha-Hi The thing to note is that there are several different 1 inch headsets. The one you need is probably the BMX/OPC assuming that the bike you are using has a one piece crank set? If you bike has a 3-piece crankset you would need the 1" ISO headset.

ocscully

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is a good question. The owner's manual that comes with Schwinn Jaguar has a section on adjusting the spring tension on a suspension fork but the Jag doesn't have one. I tried to get some help from Pacific Cycles, the maker of the Jag but they never responded to emails. From the manual it appears that a suspension fork is an option but where do you get them? Target and local bike shops were no help. Thanks ocsully for the Sheldon link.
Tom

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
You should be able to get a 1 inch head set at just about any local bike shop, that sells BMX bikes and
Beach Cruisers. Here is a link to some information on headset sizing Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Ha-Hi The thing to note is that there are several different 1 inch headsets. The one you need is probably the BMX/OPC assuming that the bike you are using has a one piece crank set? If you bike has a 3-piece crankset you would need the 1" ISO headset.

ocscully
Ok so Im going to measure it tonight. What is a frame cup?

Thanks,
Pat

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
So once I measure things will any headset of that size work or does it have to be a special one since its got the springer. I noticed on mine that the top of the adjustable race (top race) has serrations and the spacer/washer above it does also, to lock them together. Then the spring mount bracket (the one with the threaded hole for the spring bolt) then the lock nut, going in order from bottom to top. Do all springer headsets have these serrations on them?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
About the only thing you're going to have to do is remove the bearing race from your old forks and install it on the springer fork, put everything together (adjuster nut, lock nut, spring spacer, top cap) then measure how much of a gap there is once the cap nut is all the way on, remove the top cap then cut that amount off the steer tube then re-assemble.

Good step by step but they've already cut the steer tube to length.
YouTube - Bicycle Parts - springer fork, steering tube, and headset installation.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
About the only thing you're going to have to do is remove the bearing race from your old forks and install it on the springer fork, put everything together (adjuster nut, lock nut, spring spacer, top cap) then measure how much of a gap there is once the cap nut is all the way on, remove the top cap then cut that amount off the steer tube then re-assemble.

Good step by step but they've already cut the steer tube to length.
YouTube - Bicycle Parts - springer fork, steering tube, and headset installation.
The bike came with the springer already on it. The bearings and races are beat up and need replaced. Pretty much starting from scratch with this one.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
There is nothing special about a headset for a springer vs one for a rigid fork. All that matters is that the headset is for the proper dia. steerer tube ( 1", 1&1/8", etc.) and that the Stack Height fits in the amount of steerer tube you have available. For bikes that have one piece cranks the headsets that are available all have pretty much the same stack height, so this isn't really much of an issue. The serations you speak of are just a way of locking in the adjustment. Not all headsets have these serations.As for the cups you asked about Head sets come with two cups the bottom cup presses into the head tube and the top cup threads onto the steerer tube, or slides on in the case of a threadless steerer.

ocscully