My first Trek

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Well this is the first Trek I ever bought and from what I've heard they are great bikes. It's a no nonsense bike without a lot of bells and whistles and a nice flat black paint job. It's also huge for a cruiser, I couldn't believe how tall it sits. I'm 6'5" and even with the seat adjusted all the way down my feet just do touch the ground. I probably won't get to start building this one until sometime next week but parts are already ordered :)

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have built several Trek's, but I didn't know they made a cruiser frame. I pick up the Trek Mt. bikes on craigslist really cheap. I like them because the ones before the aluminum frames were pretty much all chromoly, and they have pretty good components on them so about the only thing I have to change is the tires and seat to make a nice comfortable ride.
Here is the last one I built.

John

Attachments

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
I have built several Trek's, but I didn't know they made a cruiser frame. I pick up the Trek Mt. bikes on craigslist really cheap. I like them because the ones before the aluminum frames were pretty much all chromoly, and they have pretty good components on them so about the only thing I have to change is the tires and seat to make a nice comfortable ride.
Here is the last one I built.

John
Absolutely. You'll find that the same $100 spent on a Chinese made Wallyworld bike COULD be spent on a early to mid 90's American made Trek with cromoly frame and decent components. It DOES make a difference. I built up my bike from a 1994 Trek 920 Singletrack that I got at auction for $90. More recently, a friend from work GAVE me a Giant mountainbike from the same timeframe....another quality make that would serve well as an MAB. I have that one hanging in the garage....

Warner

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
Yes, I have also picked up a couple nice Giant biks from the same era, mid to late 90's. Alot of those were $400 bikes in their day. I usually get them on craigslist for around $50.
Here is one that made a pretty sweet bike.

John
Good stuff John....nice clean looking build. And you know it won't fall apart, either.

Warner

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I'm just dying to get started on it, but it makes it difficult to make up my mind which bike i'll keep for myself and which one i'll sell. They will both be priced at $750 regardless of which one I keep. The one on the right is my Micargi Rover 7 spd, which is just waiting on sprocket adapter.

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I'm just dying to get started on it, but it makes it difficult to make up my mind which bike i'll keep for myself and which one i'll sell. They will both be priced at $750 regardless of which one I keep. The one on the right is my Micargi Rover 7 spd, which is just waiting on sprocket adapter.
Let me know if you are able to get $750 out of the Micargi. I had a hard time getting $400 out of this Micargi Rover and it had all the bells and whistles. Like I have said before, I guess I am in the wrong area to try and make any money on this hobby, I generally end up selling them for just a bit more than I have in them. Glad it's just a hobby.

John

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Looks like you had more than $400 in that bike Ret. No way I would have sold that bike for less than $800. And they are definitely not in high demand here either. I'd let it rot in the garage before I sold that bike for that kind of money. You did a great job building that and it is/was a beautiful bike and you deserved to be rewarded properly for your hard work and craftsmanship. Who ever bought that from you was a lucky dude.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Those are all very clean builds guys, good job, i recently fininshed a specialized rock hopper i beleive that its worth the extra money to build a higher end MAB!!!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Interesting chain set-up on the trek in #2 permalink,really looks good,I wonder what it would do w/a centrivical clutch.......

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Update on the Trek. So far so good, basically all I'm waiting on is the sprocket adapter and sprocket and billet intake from Jim. I have a PK80 68.5 cc engine, K&N style air filter, center kick stand on the way, larger black peanut tank on the way, new updated carb on the way then she'll be done. Can't wait til the stuff gets here. :)

Attachments