Pocket bike powered bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have you thought further about the tank? And are there any odd little pressure vessels or reservoirs from the scrap heap at work?

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Haven't found anything suitable yet.. Looks like I'm done there in January anyways... It was only a temporary position.. I'll be headed back to Iqaluit hopefully..

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Well, a couple months later, and I find myself working in the Polar bear capital of the world! I did manage to find a few goodies tho!

A folding bike that only needed a bit of work.. I might leave it as it is... butt, it does have nice 20 inch aluminum rims on it! and a 6 speed gear pack on the rear wheel (just in case I do decide to try the multiple gear route)
Aaand this thing....

an "adult" sized green machine!! I see this thing, and so many scrapped chainsaws around.. I'm getting all kinds of evil ideas in my head!!

Anyways, I might even be able to find something up here that would work as a gas tank for my bike!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
1 USG Shell Fluid 41 container? ;) Or an Iata approved thickwall 5 litre screw top can?

I didn't know about these either. 1 litre fuel sample can.

I see there are children's snowmobiles; perhaps there will be a seized 2 stroker, abandoned or unused, an owner would be happy to have you dispose of it ;)

Last edited:

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Nothing like either of those cans here.. Just common oil cans that you have to puncture to open.. there is a section of the dump here in Churchill Manitoba (not in Iqaluit right now) that has many old fire extinguishers and similar containers.. I'll have to do some "shopping" before I go home!

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I had a small thought about the kids snowmobiles. The track is driven by a roller that must be a decent diameter. Depending on the total unit size, could you have a friction driver over the back wheel? Perhaps even rearrange the rollers and run the track on the tyre. Now let's see you slip if you get wet!

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I went for a ride on those on the Columbia Icefield near Banff. No polar bears though!

I had my own version, my E350 family van converted to 4x4:

Feb 2, 2017
California
Why, oh why did you take out the pedals? I just don't get why people do that to their motorized bicycle...... it just doesn't make sense. If you plan to get rid of the pedals, mind as will just get one of them mini bikes. SMH.

The whole point and fun of motorized bicycle is having the option of running the motor or pedaling.

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
To each their own.. Yeah, I'll just go buy a mini bike with all the extra monies I have with 3 kids and a mortgage and all.. Sometimes you just gotta work with what you have. If you don't like someones project, just don't comment..

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You have a gem of a bike, capable of (small)motorcycle-type acceleration! The key is the powerful engine WITH! multi-speed transmission. The magic answer to speed and power on this bike is gear ratio. You can gear it super-low to climb monster hills in 1st gear AND yet cruise high-speed in top gear. You need to find where your engine develops maximum TORQUE, then gear it accordingly. If you want to learn as you go, simply replace the left-side jackshaft sprocket with a larger one. Leave everything else as it is(Of course, you'll have to shorten the chain.) Your bike might be fast now. With proper gearing, it will be AWESOME! What sizes are all your sprockets?

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
I've done a bit of testing with different sprocket sizes, and a multi gear setup would definitely benefit me. The way it is set up now, on the engine side it has a 6 going to a 60, and on the other side it's a 15 going to a 30 I think? I can't remember right off.. I tried a smaller final sprocket, but it could barely get going.. The way it is now, the acceleration isn't too bad and the top speed is about 45 km/h.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
At what rpm is your highest torque? What gear ratios are in your tranny? What size chain to your rear wheel sprocket?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Okay, lemme guess. If you had a Lifan 50cc engine, you'd make max 2.7Nm torque @ 5,000 rpm and 2.kw power @ 7500rpm. Your tranny gears would be 3.273/1.938/1.35/1.043. I'm guessing you have a 15T engine sprocket and 30t left-side jackshaft sprocket. Is your right-side jackshaft sprocket a 10t and your rear wheel sprocket 60t? That engine/trans in a mini-bike ran 3.5-8 tires, about 15" diameter. Your bike has 26" diameter, which would seem to need different gearing. If you had 15t/30t sprockets, that's 2:1 gearing. On the right side, you mentioned 10t/60t, which is 6:1. That's total 12:1 gears. Multiply that by 3.273 first gear = 39.276:1. Max torque would be at 9.8mph in first gear, and 30.9mph in 4th gear. If your top speed is 45kph(28.125mph), your engine speed is 4550rpm. Fourth gear ratio on your bike is 12.52:1. Are you sure you have a 10t/60t sprockets? If so, your top speed is 46.4mph at 7500rpm (top hp rpm). That's perfect. By the way, I noticed you shifted early from 1st to 2nd gear on youtube. Awesome bike!