29 inch cruisers

GoldenMotor.com

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I have read a lot about just how bad the Walmart bikes are. Well I have built about 50 Walmart bikes so far. From the Cranny to the Genisis 29er. It is true that they are not the quality of some bike shop bikes that you pay 400-500 bucks for. The average Joe that I sell to can`t afford to buy a bike like that from me. I still believe that you build a good bike the right way and you will get a bike that will work for the average guy.
Now to the point. I have built 5 of the Genisis Onyx bikes. I love the way these bikes ride. I am only 6` and it is a little tough for me to get off and on but it is a wonderful ride once I get on. These things will cruise nicely around 25-30 mph. They are also very smooth rides.
I also build bikes part-time at my local Walmart and I can say that not all Walmart bikes are thrown together!! Some of us do have a little pride in our work. So between building for Walmart and running my little business of bikes at home, I see a lot of different bikes. I have seen some expensive pieces of crap too!
Here is one of the cheaper Genisis Onyx`s

Attachments

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I made one myself. It's not an "easy" build I'll admit, but the end product if done right looks like something off a line somewhere.

If you check out my build thread you can see some of the difficulties that come with the bike. Basically nothing fits, but with about 30$ extra you can find all the things you need at your local hardware store. The hardest thing for me to modify had to be the tank.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used two muffler clamps for the tank mounting.Just installed the clamps so they touched the tank studs and tack welded the studs to the clamps. Quick, easy, and cost less than $6 bucks. Third clamp welded to a plate made a cheap easy custom front mount as well. The stock rear mount will work, but you need to grind or file it a tiny bit bigger to fit the seat post tube correctly.
I loved the way this bike rode and hated to see it go.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
29ers are great after you get over the rear sprocket.I ride mine daily to work can complain much about it.I even get thumbs up from guys on motorcycles.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
re: #1 post

I agree, the Walmart bikes have come a long way, and old technology goes for a low price. Walmart fails at service, from assembly to selling tires and supplies for the bikes they market, but for the DIY guy, they offer some reliable bikes with reliable shimano commuting gears.

I know what you mean about people being cheap on bikes! I don't think they understand how valuable a decent bike is, especially with a motor.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Your bike looks good, but don't forget to either remove the ball from the spark plug, or replace the spark wire with an automotive one w/ real boot. The chinese boots are the strangest thing. When the rubber dries out they will start missing and arcing because they don't clip the spark plug tip (ball shaped).

How did you do the front mount? It looks like the kit mounting hardware, but the tube looks fat.

I really dig the look of these 29" motorized bicycles.... They look tough!

Does the 29" Genisis bikes (Onyx and the 7spd) have a 1" head tube or 1.125"?
If 1" what front suspension (with disc option) will fit the Genisis?

The 26" cruiser I just built has a 1" headtube and the front suspension choices are slim.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
There's a conversion headset for about $40.

Lynn at http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ has some 1" budget suspension forks and disc brake stuff for mabs.

I really dig the look of these 29" motorized bicycles.... They look tough!

Does the 29" Genisis bikes (Onyx and the 7spd) have a 1" head tube or 1.125"?
If 1" what front suspension (with disc option) will fit the Genisis?

The 26" cruiser I just built has a 1" headtube and the front suspension choices are slim.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Built a Onyx and a Genesis. Learning the gearing, built the Genesis with stock AGK gearing to a 56t rear w 79cc predator. Needs a bit of pedaling to get moving and a bit more on a hill. When the thing spools up been clocked at 58mph! Insane. This is in process of modification. Under consideration is 28t on the primary or changing the rear 56t to a 64t. Does anyone have an opinion on this gearing?

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'm a bit confused. Genesis is a brand name and Onyx is a model in the Genesis range. Are you saying you built a Genesis Onyx, or are you referring to 2 different projects ?

As for the gearing, anything over 45mph on a bicycle should be considered excess and dangerous without a LOT of other modifications. Pretty much everything in the wheelsets is designed for lower speeds. Going faster will cook bearings, have the tires coming loose from the rims at the bead from the centrifugal forces...ect, ect. Talk to Lurker about that. Anyone that walks away from going 58mph on a Walmart bike without addressing the above issues should kiss the ground when they come to a stop (if the brakes are even up to it).

Having said all that, if the bike is re-geared for 45mph or less when it's "spooled up" (normally a term used for turbocharger RPMs, but whatever), the issues with pedaling from a stop and climbing hills should go away. The gearing that's well suited for 26" tires would be too "tall" for 29" tires. I suspect that's where the problem lies, but WayneZ knows a lot more about gearing on the little Preddys so he may have the best advice.

Sorry for being such a doryphore.

MHF

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
hhhaha. I learn something new every day. I never heard of a doryphore.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-dor1.htm

Yeah, it's a given that most bicycle stuff (especially garage-ornaments) is not made to go 50mph all the time, and you should take care like you would on an ultra-light plane.

That said, there is a wide world of bike parts, and some are much more durable and qualified than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_VMKdI3xc

50mph on road racing bicycles. (yes of course MABs will beat the heck out of stuff more)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I would gear it for the speed you like to travel most.
If you've only got one gear, pick one that gets you up most of the hills in your area. I think a higher average speed would be more fun than a higher top speed.

Built a Onyx and a Genesis. Learning the gearing, built the Genesis with stock AGK gearing to a 56t rear w 79cc predator. Needs a bit of pedaling to get moving and a bit more on a hill. When the thing spools up been clocked at 58mph! Insane. This is in process of modification. Under consideration is 28t on the primary or changing the rear 56t to a 64t. Does anyone have an opinion on this gearing?

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I know there are pedal powered bicycles that routinely travel at speeds in the 45-55 mph range, but I'm sure there not standard off the rack big box bikes. Could the bearings, spokes and tires be upgraded to make them safe at those speeds ? Undoubtably, but that's my whole point. Riding 58mph on a non-upgraded __________ < (insert department store name) bicycle is irresponsible would tend to prove Darwin's theories.

MHF