what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Been shopping around for a rear wheel drive electric set-up. Got my eye on several. I do want one of the newer generation drives. I'm moving to Oregon and they prefer that a bike be electric so no gas engine ;)
Thought they aloud up to 35cc............Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm 220 and the bike is fat, too ;)

I paid $100 for a Sturmey Archer Dyno Drum and $30 to lace it on the rim :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-XL-FDD-Dynamo-Drum/dp/B003RLHCG4

What I want is a 48 volt 1000 watt unit that I'll use 4 12 volt 365 amp SLA tractor batteries. None of the "15 miles to a charge" thing for me ;)
If you do that get a hot dog cooker with those stainless steel rollers and you plug that in too while underway.

Nice buy on that hub, lets hear how it performs when you are out there testing it out!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I was thinking more like a coffee maker ;) The bike is called a West Coast Something-or-another. Big chopper adult size with 26" fat tires on both ends. Twin fork tubes on triple trees and no brake with the weight of me, the electrics and batteries just isn't a good idea so the drum brake and the dyno for lights. With the storage batteries separated from the main batteries. I already have a voltage regulator for keeping the voltage in check. The back has a coaster brake and lugs for some type of rim brake that I'd going to have to find the brake set-up that fits. The arms look to be longer than any I can find online so I have the guy who laced on the SA hub looking for the arms or whatever they're called so I hope to have that problem solved.

The two down tubes have no place for a rim brake. I'm working on a handlebar idea from a very old post...don't ask me where I found it...it was a long time ago so...but it involves using two handlebar necks with two handlebars cut so there was a left and a right so the handlebars are split in the middle...I'll get photos...when I get my camera back :p

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Oh gods, it's buried so deep and I can't remember where I saw it. It is pretty cool. I couldn't find a pullback bar like I wanted and this solves that problem. There is a slight problem with the down tube being a slightly bigger than the neck diameter. The screw will lock the handlebar neck so it doesn't turn but I have a machinist I watch on youtube who is willing to make me a bushing out of either aluminum or stainless steel. It's not that much but he thinks he'll need to bore and not drill out the center diameter. He likes doing odd jobs like this for his youtube channel but he has to wait until I can get a caliper that measures in thousandths and not hundredths like what I have, should be this payday :) I will post in a thread in the Chopper Section when I get it done with a link to Abom79's channel :)

You absolutely not believe what I'm going through to get my Nikon back :p Too long a story for here, the story would fill a whole page and no one wants to hear someone else's personal problems :p

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
after much cursing and many tries my seatpost was finally free, it took a torch, a deadblow, a pipe wrench, some kro-oil, and the help of my dad to break it free. after that he offered to take it to work and see if it'll fit in his sandblaster or at the very least get the hard to sand places aka all the joints.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
you need to put a better exhaust on that or your going to fry those rings you need some back pressure to keep the oil between the lands and the rings also it is needed to make power a good expansion chamber will give you more power than a open exhaust

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yesterday, went over to my neighbor's to switch the flywheel from my old block to the new block. I have neither a 15/16" socket, nor a torque wrench.. so this saved me over $100 :)

Also mounted my other motor on the bike. Unfortunately it does not have a kill switch wire so I could not hook up the digi-tach.

Also figuring out a motor-surging problem. I thought it was in the carb but started with the simple stuff, and found that the petcock/filter/tubing were kind of clogged. Still gonna go and clean up the carb and check the float level again.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Replaced both sets of brake pads and checked all fasteners in anticipation of my upcoming Colorado trip. The rear caliper still had the small shoe that came with the caliper ---- installed the long Bontrager pads on both ends (what I had in my 'overstock' box). The bike stops very well! I may take it to my sister's farm tomorrow, she's got 160 acres of cattle trails that are actually fun to ride!

Also, looking forward to a steak and a beer in the Mile High State!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Replaced both sets of brake pads and checked all fasteners in anticipation of my upcoming Colorado trip. The rear caliper still had the small shoe that came with the caliper ---- installed the long Bontrager pads on both ends (what I had in my 'overstock' box). The bike stops very well! I may take it to my sister's farm tomorrow, she's got 160 acres of cattle trails that are actually fun to ride!

Also, looking forward to a steak and a beer in the Mile High State!!
Hey Hey Mark... How the heck are ya?

Dang-it....! trails, steak, beer, sounds like you have a very good plan there.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Got a new project.......maybe. This fuel tank is off of a Honda XL500 and is bigger than it looks. It's got a slight dent in the 'passenger' side that will require a bit of love. I believe that I can make it work. I may save this as my winter project. This will allow me some 'zen' time and come up with better solutions........maybe!

Also, as most projects happen, it looks like a lay-back seat post will be in order to give more legroom.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Who am I kidding??!! My gas tank project won't last till the winter.....

Fabbed the front mount this afternoon. It'll attach to the underside of the top bar.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
I put it back together today after receiving my new gasket kit, and changing the rear tire it runs nice and the rear tire is a 26x1.75 inverted tread instead of a 26x2.125 cruiser knobbies. i'll post pictures tomorrow after work on my cruise.