what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Silicone friction pucks? Now there's a interesting idea....

The SBP hose material is what I'm using now, but it's on the thin side. Fine for a temp fix. What I'm getting is a 10' length of 1/2" round solid silicone so I can get it thick enough to clear the clutch ring.

It's got grip and held up on a 20 minute ride in 90+ temps. Squeaks a bit when pedaling with the clutch in though - but that's going to be fine tuning in height.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I let a friend ride it so I could hear how loud/ quiet it is now after making the crossover exhaust and modding an air compressor's air filter to fit. I wanted to hear it from a spectator's point of view as the bike went by.
He crashed. The bike slid out from underneath him as he was taking a corner that had a bit of sand in the road. I must say that he did a great job trying to save the bike. Both his knees took a beating though. He was wearing cut off pants and got some good raspberries on both knees. I could care less about the bike, I was concerned about him. He could care less about his bloody knees, he was apologetic and worried about the bike. My wife nursed his knees while I drained the fuel tank which was leaking pretty fast. I thanked him for trying to save the bike, but told him to save himself next time, no matter what he was riding.

The muffler got a teeny patch of scratches, the right grip got a bit of road rash, and the petcock got spun around (how on earth that happened, I don't know) and stripped the threads off of it.

I found out that a spare original Hodaka Ace100 valve that I had lying around was a perfect match, so on it went.
I'll re-install the tank tomorrow.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

GearNut your friend well have a war story to tell-good to hear it wasn't worse!
and I hope he heals quickly.
C:-||Chrome exhaust tend to turn blue from the heat maybe the damage wont show so much in a week or to.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Just received 2 10"x10" samples of Ultra High Density Bendix Clutch material. One piece is 1/4" and the other 5/16" thick to try out as clutch pucks. This is rigid ferrous metal impregnated material that doesn't put off too much dust and should be great for the China girls clutch pucks.

The first ones I am going to cut out on my band saw to try and if they work well I will have them cut out on a water jet and make them available for other people to use.

This material is kind of expensive and to have them cut out wont be cheap either. I saw someone selling round pucks for $25 per set (vs the $6.50 OEM price per set of 15) and thought that kind of high but if the work and wear better than the originals it might not be too bad of a deal...

My question is:

If they work out would you all be interested in them and what kind of prices would you pay for quality clutch pucks?

Oh well down to the shop to get to cutting. Hopefully will have them in by tomorrow to try out.

Last edited:

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

going for a 14mi round trip ride I have thing to do two towns over-I use my MB for small trips like that mostly-

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca

Mark Ive never had to replace my clutch. Im still breaking in. I would deffinetly buy better quality. You should start another thread. You would probably get more responses.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Its interesting. I think a thread about it would be good. I'm just using the stock ones. I haven't worn any out because I don't slip the clutch to pull the bike on takeoff, but it is fascinating because I wonder if harder pucks will make brass shavings in the compartment. The china girls seem kind of "cheesy" to me, but they are lots of fun, so I bought another one after my first one blew up, and saved the spares. I'm having a good time with it.

I bought a used kid-trailer for mine, to use as a grocery hauler or fishing trailer. I found one that clamps to both the seat and chain stay at the same time with "ears" on the clamp halves, so I feel like it will stay put and not catch the motor chain.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Mark Ive never had to replace my clutch. Im still breaking in. I would deffinetly buy better quality. You should start another thread. You would probably get more responses.
John I did start a thread with a 2 question poll here in the for sale category to feel out the market:

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/ultra-high-density-clutch-pucks-31484.html#post303025

Thanks for your response I just got done measuring 3 different clutches I had laying around and each of them had slightly different puck sizes (up to .020" so much for not having to fit them). I am going to go with the larger of the puck size and a little sanding will allow people to size them to float in the carrier they have.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I ride kinda gently and have had no problems with clutch pucks but many have.

This is funny. Carol and I host a picnic/ ride thing here in the spring. First one, (and curse me, I forget who) kept taking off on his China Girl with out pedaling. After we asked him about how to, he was showing us and some one said "ya, but your gonna burn out your clutch"

With out skipping a beat he said; "ya, but is a 10,000 mile clutch and a 5,000 mile engine. I'm OK with that"

I literally bent over laughing. (you guys are some of my favorite lunatics)

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

This thread and the Snork thread go together. I do wonder about how long the beer cans hold up though. I wonder if anybody has 10,000mi on one, or if everybody just has a box full of parts and hopefully 1 running engine.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Dan said:
With out skipping a beat he said; "ya, but is a 10,000 mile clutch and a 5,000 mile engine. I'm OK with that"
Probably told that by the guy that sold it to him... Some people will believe anything...

www.cowboy

Jun 1, 2011
Columbia Falls, Montana

Question should be - What did your motor bike do to you today? Driving home from work today (about a 10 mile ride one way) and my muffler cap decided to come off. Rode the rest of the way with a straight pipe muffler. Man does the power increase on them china girls when the back pressure is cut down.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Lol Happy! I wasn't raptured either, so I guess we're all sinners, of the 2/4-stroke... :p

Cowboy, these engines don't like not having any back-pressure, they tend to over-rev and disintegrate stuff... like bearings.

My father always told me, "An engine will always run better just before it dies" take heed, brother.