Prototype Disc Hub Adapter - Version 1

GoldenMotor.com

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI all,

As some of you may know I have been making custom sprockets for our bikes and have always sought better ways of doing things.

Since we all know about the factory 9 hole mounting system and its short comings (mainly not being able to mount the sprocket perfectly....(i.e. not having lateral run out / wobble or up and down wobble)....I began placing
the 6 Hole ISO standard disc mounting pattern on my sprockets....With this one can securely and accurately (not to mention quickly) mount a sprocket in place of the disc on a disc brake hub.

While this mounting method works for MOST all people it can POTENTIALLY cause minor chain line issues and/or interference of the sprocket with the rear frame stays on SOME frame on and wheel combinations..

The quick and easy solution for this would be to simply re-dish and/or re-space the rear wheel.....This solves the problem for most all users although this is not necessarily the best solution because re-dishing weakens the wheel to an extent and re-spacing can make cornering feel "funny" since the rear wheel would be more out of line than the front wheel.

With this, I began develop a disc mount sprocket adapter that will precisely hold a standard 9 hole sprocket (on a stock sprocket the center hole would have to be enlarged to clear the disc hub mounting area but when we sell sprockets for use with the adapter it will have the proper sized in approximately the same position as the factory 9 hole mount thus eliminating
potential chain line issues and / or possible sprocket interference with the rear frame stays.....

The hub adapters are made of the same aerospace grade 7075 T651 aluminum that we make our sprockets from. In prototype form, with the factory nuts and bolts, it weighs in at 8.8 ounces VS the stock 9 Hole mount at 13.3 ounces....I may include shorter mounting hardware as well since the factory pieces are way too long....That will make for a neater and cleaner install not to mention saving probably another ounce or two of unnecessary weight.

The photos are of the preliminary adapter....Version #2 of my adapter will (hopefully....space is tight) allow full use of the rear disc brake as well.

Version #1 will be available for sale in approximately a week or so....Estimated price will be $24.50 Plus shipping

Version #2 will be available in 2 weeks or so....Estimated price will be $27.50 Plus shipping.

Questions, comments, or concerns are welcome because it would help us make a better product from the get go.

Thanks for taking time to read about our new product and for your past, present and future business!

Andrew

Attachments

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Andy that looks great, Can i just get a disk wheel and use your mount for better stability?
I've been looking at the clam thingy instead of the rubbers but at $75.00 I think a wheel and hub and new sprocket for around $100.00 would be better.

Greg

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Greg,

Thanks for your interest....In answer to your question, yes you can simply get a rear disc hub rear wheel and use the adapter to precision mount the sprocket (you can even reuse your old sprocket if money is short but it must be the HD 9 hole mount sprocket (8 MM bolts) and the center hole would have to be enlarged slightly so as to be able to slip over the disc mount area....Of course if you ordered a custom sprocket from us for use with the adapter we could enlarge the hole to work with the adapter at no additional charge)... ....One thing to be aware of though is that with some disc brake wheels you can't use rim brakes and some you can....just make sure you get the right wheel if you don't plan on using the disc brake (Prototype adapter #1 does not allow use of the disc brake....My second adapter will hopefully be able to allow full use of the disc brake (should one want to use it) but as mentioned earlier clearances are or will be pretty tight...I may have to look at specialized fasteners for version 2 of the adapter)....

As far as price...I may be able to work a combo special to save hub adapter buyers even more (give a reduced price if you buy a sprocket and adapter at the same time)....but I'll have to wait until everything is finalized....in about a week or so...

As far as the clam shell adapter is concerned, I have heard of it but I do not really have a lot of technical info on it (weight, materials used, etc...)....Price wise, converting over to our system may be a little more expensive (really depends a lot on the wheel cost unless you are starting with a disc brake hub initially) BUT as you mentioned before you will have all new components (rear wheel and sprocket) PLUS get to choose the sprocket size you want.

Thanks again for your interest and stay tuned.... this should be out in about a week or so....I'll make another announcement when it is formally for sale and will more than likely have some auctions / Buy It Now on eBay as well.

Andrew

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Looks good Buddy! I'll take mine in red with a black 56 tooth sprocket or visa versa.:D

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hey Andrew, don't know if you know but Jim at Creative Engineering is making a great adapter for those who have disc brake hubs ant want to use 9 bolt hole kit sprockets, it works and comes with hardware for $15.00 plus shipping. Jim has a lot of stuff going on and he doesn't want to sound like he's "hawking his wares" when he posts in the forum. Best suggestion if you got a problem call him-the phone number is on his website. He'll be glad to talk Bikes and any problem you have. Walter F.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Andy,

I've been making brake rotor adapters, and sprocket adapters for a few months.

The sprocket adapters don't require the usual 9 bolts. The sprocket is no longer being mouted to the spokes, so it isn't necessary. I use three with nylocks. Also if you countersink the holes for flat head screws, the adapter can be made much thinner to fit in tight. Also a sprocket register is a good idea. This allows the sprocket to run true to the hub.

Jim

Attachments