Red Bat

GoldenMotor.com

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
Anyone know how good the RedBat Engines are?
BTW which are the best name brands anyway, it
seems every company that sells kits have there
own name brand..shft.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
because he sells the heavy-duty axle rear hub, I would say they are grubees ?
his install manual has pics from different sites tho (I definitely saw a 'z-box' pic from australia???)

adding a name to his kits just confuses people researching kits tho IMHO :(

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
red bat is a brand of engine kits made. we've found that they work really well. the have recessed screws near the bottom of the jug, whereas the other brands dont. nothing but miles and smiles from red bat.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have a Red Bat here that I bought from a fellow on craigslist.
Haven't done anything with it yet except to rob parts to get/keep my skyhawk going.
It came in the original shipping box... from Luckyearlybird

Your post is the only other time I've seen RED BAT mentioned, FWIW.
Good luck
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I bought a Red Bat engine from BGF a while back. I ordered the kit with the chrome tank and it turned out to be from the RB factory. Of the 7 kits that I've bought, the red bat had the best quality of fit and finish. The motor was smoother in vibes and quieter . no rattley sounds from the engine.
Even the way they are packed shows much thought. Their box, with the red bat on it, is considerably smaller than other kits.

it's packed with such care and so tight, with strips of styro ect that nothing can move and nothing can touch anything else, no matter how rough it's handled.

Their tanks have a kinda clunky shape though.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a BGF Red Bat engine on my oldest and highest mile bike, 1200+ miles on it now bone stock and still runs like a champ, zero issues with this engine.

Peace, map

I bought a Red Bat engine from BGF a while back. I ordered the kit with the chrome tank and it turned out to be from the RB factory. Of the 7 kits that I've bought, the red bat had the best quality of fit and finish. The motor was smoother in vibes and quieter . no rattley sounds from the engine.
Even the way they are packed shows much thought. Their box, with the red bat on it, is considerably smaller than other kits.

it's packed with such care and so tight, with strips of styro ect that nothing can move and nothing can touch anything else, no matter how rough it's handled.

Their tanks have a kinda clunky shape though.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
My 2 best Ht's have been RED BAT mfg. Quality diff can be seen and felt in the running. IMHO

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I was so pleased to see the nice compliments to the Red Bat product! :)
So far, mine has sat in it's box, with an occasional outing to rob parts from it.

Today I was going to put it's nt carby back on my skyhawk, when I remembered Alf's advice... use an O-ring between the manifold and carb. He said take em both to the auto parts house and get one that will fit well... So I did.

The carbs never been installed on that motor, just the skyhawk 48.
But I pulled the manifold off, so I could take both for a match-up.

Here's a pic of the horrible job RB did matching the gasket to the cylinder port, and the indent shows how bad it matched up to the manifold.
Also note how brittle the gasket is, from the breakage.
Definitely would have fed gasket material into the jug and, performed poorly until that time...

Apparently it's all a crapshoot.

There was a nice note regarding the case half screws being counter sunk...
If you look at my pic you'll see where the screw is not visible, for that bonus feature... and you'll also see the horrid finish work on the casting, the mis-alignment, and to the right hand side under the port you'll see a 30-35mm jagged edge on the casting! lol

I remember when folks talked down about harley castings... lol

Guess I'd better continue tearing it down for inspection before I attempt to run it... maybe it was a monday motor following the chineez new year!

Best
rc

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL I have an '82 Shovelhead, and it's jugs have castmarks worse than that. Don't hurt a thing but yer eyes :~)