Spandex Style Pants: Who Wears Them and What Kind?

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Twice now I've nearly had an accident because my butt slipped off the seat. One pair was leather spandex, the other pair were a soft nylon material with a supposedly, non-slip surface on the posterior. The first time I hit a bump and my right cheek slid off the seat. The second time, just a few minutes ago in fact, I was making a 'U' turn on a steet near my house. Again, my spandexed rear, the left cheek this time, slipped off the seat and I almost went down.

I know they will provide some protection in the event of a fall and when it's cold they keep your butt from getting numb. But, I need spandex that is will not slip. Until I find them I'm not wearing any underwear.

What do you guys wear?

Drew

With alpologies to 2door ;-)

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Jeans, Dickies work pants and army surplus. I have yet to slide off my leather seat with the Dickies and I have been in 3 wrecks, never got a scratch or tear on my legs or these pants. Plus the Dickies work pants are tough and very cozy in the 20 degree winters here in Texas, not sure how they would do up there in Colorado. Jeans are great just because they are cheap and durable and the army surplus is rip-stop material so that's a bonus in a crash. I know I havn't mentioned spandex mainly for the reason I never worn spandex before and won't ever trade the protection these Dickies have for the slippery feeling of neoprene and nylon.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i wear alot of army surplus BDUs, i love them. ive laid down my motor bike a few times and my motorcycle once while wearing them and they didnt rip threw other than a small tear in the reinforced knee area. i wont wear spandex because i dont want to advertise my beans and frank.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Work jeans are all I've ever known. Never slipped off a seat yet. Like Texhun said I concur. Can't beat the protection in my experience too.

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Drew all in fun, I thought you wrote someone knocked you off the bike because you were wearing spandex.rotfl Then I reread.
George

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Don't matter if Ya wear Spandex.....The "Spanty Boys" won't let You ride with the "Fixie Pixies" if Your sportin' one of them Fossil fueled flyers....(p)....Tigmaster....

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Levi 517 boot cut jeans. Never slid off my seat with them. And I'm not giving free advertising to a bunch of people I've never heard of. Spandex? Really?
Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Soon as I saw this thread I knew how it would go. And almost every post so far has proven me correct. In spite of how the majority of this forum feels about spandex I will chime in with my thought on this subject.

I wear spandex when I ride my pedal bike. I do not see a need for spandex on a motor bike as I'm not pedaling. My current favorite pair of spandex shorts are made by Bontrager, their InForm line. This pair is a pair of bib-shorts, they have straps that go over the shoulders and wont let my fat butt hang out the back side. I don't have a standard spandex type shirt. I have riding shirts that are especially made for riding with good moisture wicking material.

I don't recall ever having slipped off my seat though, with any pair of bike shorts. Hope this helped and I hope there are some members that can say something helpful. Usually these guys are the most helpful bunch around, they just seem to have issues with spandex for some reason.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
This a parody of 2-door's post on gloves ....my apologies for drinking and forum posting :)

Spandex(er) is a term of "endearment" I use to describe all of the "Lance Armstrong" wannabees who live in my city which happens to be home of U.S. Olympic training. They (spandexers) don't hesitate to call police on me when I ride the Santa Fe trail on my MB but don't have any problem violating traffic laws themselves when they ride on public roads. In addition, this post sums up some Spandexer's attitudes: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/576832-experiences-colorado-cyclists.html

I live on a long and steep hill that is used by cyclists for training. I ride mostly in my neighborhood and on occasion get to join a great group of folks in Denver for a long group ride. I can't tell you how many times I've been cussed at and insulted for being lazy by cyclists who see me riding my MB. My MB is simply a compromise to motorcycles that I gave up when I married my wife.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hang tuff Drewd! Kids can be cruel. (funny but cruel)

Just wondering here, could sliding off the seat be more of a riding style/stance issue? I'm sure some of the more avid bicyclists could better advise you but am thinking that maybe more solidly using your feet, sort of ready to stand should you need to might help more then choice of clothing?

Last edited: