what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

2Slow4U

Aug 16, 2016
St.Louis
Worked on and rode for the first time this year.

Added:

Heavy duty air filter(SBP)
Engine noise dampeners(SBP)
Upgraded fuel filter (SBP)
High performance Plug wire (SBP)
Upgraded fuel line (random hobby shop)

This thing feels pretty quick, although I don't have a speedometer atm. All the little upgrades seem to make a difference. The idle is noticeably quieter with the engine dampeners. I have a silencer i'll probably put on also. I want to make it quiet as possible, i'm very pernoid about noise.

I got a SBP fuel valve also but I wasn't able to screw it in. I don't see any threads in the tank. Am I missing something? It's a shame because the stock one seems to let fuel flow even with it closed.

Couldn't get the old plug wire out so I had to cut that little plastic piece off the cdi but it seems to old fine.

The first time I took it out I forgot about the chain tensioner and it was jerking like crazy. I make it back and fixed it.

Got to use my new full face helmet too, it's kind of heavy but you get used to it.

To Do:

Get wheels trued/fixed up
Find lighting solution
Get rear storage rack
Tune the expansion chamber and weld it so it isn't rattling around and held together by coat hangers.
Maintain some of the bike parts/clean up shorten cables.
Add rear view mirrors.
Possibly change to 36 tooth sprocket.
Old kick stand snapped in half so I need a new one.

I'll probably do most of those before I try the 35mph speed limit roads where most people are doing 40

It's a good thing I have so much stuff to do,I like working on it more than riding it!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LoL, 2 slow.

In another thread, I just gave long winded advise on a completely different part than the question. Just gonna give up and nap.

Happy Friday!

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
Modded predator 212 on a Huffy millennial frame

Had some carb issues but got it mostly figured out. Jetted to 125 main jet and 15 pilot jet with the needle all the way up and it seems to be running pretty good now. Wouldn't start but everything was good so i looked at my spark plug and the gap was to close so i opened it up and now it starts in 1 to 2 pulls :)

Re geared it from 11.111 to 7.830 and now i can give it some gas to go without doing a wheelie

And put a center stand on it but needs a little modding but holds the bike up at least

Also got the pedal drive hooked up

I'm a year behind on this build but im finally getting time again to get back to it a little bit. Still need to fab my gas tank, build a js brake, mirror and lights, a handlebar mounted kill switch, a proper tach mount, and a proper intake. But its running and rideable :)

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Today I bought two 4hp pocket bike engines on ebay for my twin-engined project.

Last edited:

2Slow4U

Aug 16, 2016
St.Louis
Today I bought 2 modified pocket bike engines on ebay for my twin-engined project.
One is fine 2 is twice as nice?

I got a 1/8 -27 npt tap and was able to get the fuel tank threaded. The fuel valve isnt going anywhere. Also put on the new fuel line, looks pretty snazzy.

Also got a 4 inch mirror and mount that i found in a different thread: EMGO 20-42410 and BikeMaster 60-0408. I think it was under $25. Seems to work well but it does vibrate a lot.

Also moved the SBP expansion pipe out as far as i could. It measured at ~18" flange to expansion chamber cone. Seems like it brought the power band down more. (Is there a way to tell when you're "on the pipe"? I still have to pedal a bit from a stand still but after that it takes off.)Seems like it wants to do a wheelie at lower speeds. It seems to pull hard up to about 7000rpm (if you believe the ebay tachometer) and after that i feel like its limited by gearing.

I'm debating on extending the exhaust pipe a bit more to try and get more low end and switch out the rear sprocket but I probably shouldn't mess with it now that it's running though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
One is fine 2 is twice as nice?

Yeah, pocket bike engines aren't noted for their reliability.

With twin engines, if one fails, I'll "limp home" on the other one.

However, with two engines running well, the ride and the droning sounds should be awesome.

I've run twin engines before. Both powerplants will run with minimum strain.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You could stencil on the box "The Taco Toter"!

I had some issues with the small screw that keeps the flower nut from turning. I ended up tapping the holes to fit a regular size 8-32 machine screw with a larger head. Worked perfectly.......also used 2 screws instead of the lone single that was original to my engine. Knew I should've ordered a new flower nut with the rest of the clutch shaft rebuild parts. Oh well, just placed an order for a few new spare parts for 'just in case'. Should have them before the Scarecrow Run.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The engines I ordered arrived where I'm vacationing in AZ.
Free shipping.
I packed them into my luggage to take home.
Free shipping.
It's a hefty cost (maybe $75) where I live.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm back from vacation, and tomorrow's a working day.
I need to freshen my bike, Snow Tiger, to ride to work.

It's been sitting for 5 weeks.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Sunday night, I pumped up the tires to 40psi and adjusted the brakes.
On Monday morning, I sprung a gas leak moments before leaving for work. I was in a hurry after repairing it, so I only put less than a quart of fuel in the empty tank.
On the way home, I ran outa gas a half-mile from home. Wifey brought gas to me, so I met her and my daughter at McD's. I had yogurt; the women just talked and talked.
I rode to work Tuesday and today with no trouble. The engine has a slight low end bog at times. Also, I think the chainring freewheel is ready to fail. I'm off until Tuesday; I'll have time to troubleshoot it.
I may also replace Snow Tiger's worn disc brake pads.

I also ordered the $20 freewheel from SBP, along with the tools to R&R this part.(Four $20 freewheels = one $80 HD freewheel.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
After the Scarecrow Run, my front wheel bearings felt a little 'tight'. Thought I'd take a look/see. Grease was fine. I may have set the cones a touch too tight last time I greased the bearings. Re-adjusted the cones and all is good.

I don't know about everyone else, but towards the end of a long ride, you start to hear/feel things (yes, even over my mufflerless exhaust). Seems that no one in the small town of OKC has the muffler I need. So......it'll be here at the end of the week. Bought 2 this time for unanticipated circumstances. Gonna run a screw into it this time even though it had held over untold miles. I'd just never ran this far in one time period.