Big Boy Cycles

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Like I mentioned in my 1911 post, at the Easyrider bike show I met Timm and Roland, Owner and Engineer of Big Boy Cycles. I never heard of them before, but it's basically a street legal moped old motorcycle design that has the looks and handles.. The pod under the headlamp houses the battery and has the key switch for the electric start. The pedals allow pedaling the bike but do not start the engine. They use Honda clone CB50 or CB90 four stroke engines or CB125 (which I did not see) The front fork is a poly elastimer design sort of like the old mini cooper cars and has about one to two inches of travel. The rear triangle is detachable. The frame can be modified into a trike three wheeled design that actually uses helical gears in the rear end. The tank holds 1.5 gallons. The length is about 7 feet, it feels like a motorcycle. Weight about 150 lbs. It won the Grange race in it's class, so I guess it handles great. $4500.00 for the 50 or 90cc engine and $5000.00 for the 125cc.

She's a nice girl, I met her :)

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Timm and Roland are the best! They are big supporters of the
racing in SoCal and drove down all the way from Sacramento
to the last Grange race where Roland won the mid range class
beating all the 5 hp Briggs bikes on the white bike below.

Here are a few pics of their bikes at the Grange Motor Circuit
last October 22nd 2011.
The red bike has to be seen and heard in person to be appreciated.
"Double Trouble" Two 49 cc China engines mounted side by side.

www.BigBoyCycles.com

Last edited:

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
We had a blast at the Easy Rider Show here in Sacramento!
It was very nice to meet Cobrafreak (John) and see his
bike in real!
HE WON 2nd place at the "peoples choice award" in the
Vintage category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations again!
Looking forward riding together!

Roland & Timm

BigBoyCycles

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Roland & Timm It dosent really say on your site what engines are available on your rides. Can these be titled and regestered as motorcycles? Thats some quality work you've done there!

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Because the engines we chose to use on our bikes are the Honda cub design, there is an amazing assortment of factory Honda and Chinese copies. The factory displacements are: 49cc,70cc,90cc,100cc,110cc,120cc,125cc,140cc,150cc. There are larger factory (155cc,160cc,172cc), but these have a different style head and barrel based on the Kawasaki KLX 110.
We do offer most of these engines as an option, and yes, we build a "Light sport motorbike" with foot pegs (no pedals). That one must be registered as a motorcycle!!
There is a nearly endless supply of hop-up/speed equipment for these bullet proof little engines.

We will be doing major updates to our website soon, and will have a lot more info and pictures!!!

Best regards,
Timm and Roland.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Because the engines we chose to use on our bikes are the Honda cub design, there is an amazing assortment of factory Honda and Chinese copies. The factory displacements are: 49cc,70cc,90cc,100cc,110cc,120cc,125cc,140cc,150cc. There are larger factory (155cc,160cc,172cc), but these have a different style head and barrel based on the Kawasaki KLX 110.
We do offer most of these engines as an option, and yes, we build a "Light sport motorbike" with foot pegs (no pedals). That one must be registered as a motorcycle!!
There is a nearly endless supply of hop-up/speed equipment for these bullet proof little engines.

We will be doing major updates to our website soon, and will have a lot more info and pictures!!!

Best regards,
Timm and Roland.
Timm & Roland, I knew someone would eventually realize how easy these engines can be utilized for motorizing our bikes.

You guys have raised the bar for the Honda Horizontal 4-stroke with a ready made vintage style motorized bike!

Keep up the progress & much success to you both & I applaud your efforts thanks.

Peace Crazy Horse

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I am glad that Timm and Roland are getting some much deserved attention on this website. I had the pleasure of meeting these two and looking at their bikes up close. The engineering, design, and build quality of these bikes is unsurpassed in my mind. While I love the home-made quality of most motorized bikes, BigBoy cycles are on a completely higher level. One thing I really admired was their rear hubs are in-house built, that's amazing to me.

Also when I got to meet Timm and Roland at the Grange race, they are just really nice, down-to-earth guys. They build these amazing machines from scratch, but they have no superior attitude whatsoever. Their "awe, shucks" attitude, complete love of all bikes, and openness to sharing information freely really made me feel honored to be around them.

Their bikes deserve attention and I thank cobrafreak for pointing that out.

Gilbert

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Timm & Roland, I like how you've managed to blend a generalized early-teens look with your own original style in these bikes of yours. And I am happy to hear how people speak of their performance and their quality fit and finish.
I always have the deepest appreciation for any mechanism that can meld reliable utility with eye-catching beauty. Good job!

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Thank you very much everybody!

We are very pleased with the response we received at the
Easy Rider Show!
But you guys know best what it takes to build a bike and
we are very happy to get such a good feedback from you all!

We keep on building and making "things" even BETTER!

We will be at Grange with some "new" stuff...........

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
If Timm and Roland organized a motorized biking event in the Placerville area who would show up? I would. I take my Shelby Cobra replica on this route and it is awesome. The very first location that they found gold in CA we will ride past.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
If Timm and Roland organized a motorized biking event in the Placerville area who would show up? I would. I take my Shelby Cobra replica on this route and it is awesome. The very first location that they found gold in CA we will ride past.
you can't race gold!
I've never been on a MB cruse and Placerville that's to far for that but get a track and count me in
dance1dance1dance1

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'd definitely show up. Placerville isn't too far from me (35 miles), although it's mostly uphill lol

Nice to see another thread about these guys. I talked to Timm a few times on the phone last year; he's really enthusiastic about these, and a very nice guy as well! One of these days I plan to ride out to their shop.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
Sorry, we already have a key wee race promoter at Grange and we can't get him to stop flushing the crapper and scratching his head in disbelief LOL

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'd definitely show up. Placerville isn't too far from me (35 miles), although it's mostly uphill lol

Nice to see another thread about these guys. I talked to Timm a few times on the phone last year; he's really enthusiastic about these, and a very nice guy as well! One of these days I plan to ride out to their shop.
Here is a pic of Timm at the Grange race on the little 49 cc bike.
I am glad to hear that Roland and Timm will be at the next
SoCal Motor Bicycle race on Sat April 7th