synthetic oil?

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Can't find anything by searching. I'm wondering what's the consensus here on using synthetic oil? I bought some but haven't tried it yet. What I'm wondering is that the bottle seems to be indicating that it doesn't matter what the oi/gas ratio is, just add the whole 2.6 oz. bottle to one gallon of gas. Does this make sense?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
That's 50:1. What oil are you talking about?

Synthetic oil is a good thing, but IMHO most HT engine deaths are related to design and khrap assembly, not oil basestock choice.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
The label reads:
pro-mix Premium
2 cycle engine oil
Designed for use with 50:1 40:1 32:1 & 16:1 Mix ratios
Low smoke - fuel stabilizer - synthetic blend
2.6 fl. oz. (77ml)
Add entire bottle to 1 gallon of gas.

Yes, that would be only about half of what I've been using with regular 2 cycle oil. I've heard that you can use less oil with synthetic, but how much less?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i use sinthetic oil i bought my at home depot the bottle is call rioni and i am using 20:1 for the first two gallons of gas which is about6.4 ounces and after that i am going to use32:1 which is about 4 ounces of oil sinthetic oil is good for your engine

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
The engine I'm running right now has around 500 miles on it so it's completely broken in. I'm going to go with the 2.6 oz. to one gallon or 50:1, and see what happens. I suppose how you drive is a factor. I don't push the bike hard. I never run it with the throttle wide open.
Hope I don't blow it, but then, I say that every time I go for a ride.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i use amisol sabre...80 to 1...it says 100 to 1.....per pablo...sorry about name dropping...i've tried tried this oil at 50 to 1 and you cannt start the engine...it is dense...great oil...all 3 bikes, everything is ok...XXXXXXDennisdance1

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
I went to the other extreme and use Walmart 2-stroke outboard oil. It's about $11 a gallon and I mix it about 32:1. The oil is not to be used in high hp/cc outboard engines e.g. Rotax but I'm convinced it's going to be fine for these crude Chinese engines that in China probably get cheap gas mixed with a little old cooking oil. So far, the engine has about 12 hours on it, so about 200-250 miles. Just did a 1 hour ride today and nothing vibrated loose, which is a first.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
doesnt outboard oil have mineral oil as a base?...if it works dont fix it...ha...also i buy the Z-Max kit for my old truck...and in it, it has asmall bottle of Z-Max for 2 stroke engines..i have added 1 oz one time per gallon of gas...it has leankite in it...which is used in jet fuel...it sure tightened things up...ha...great product....the most it would cost is a hundred dollars for a new engine...ha.ha...well i wish you luck, stay in touch and lets see who goes down first...Dennis...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
outboard oil is designed diffrently than normal 2 stroke oil and will ruin your engine..

Matt is absolutely correct here. Outboard motor oil is formulated for water cooled engines and is not intended for use in air cooled engines. There is a difference in additives and lubricating qualities and the outboard oil can cause some real expensive problems for you.
Tom

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Nice site and very talented people here.

Couldn't help but notice "brucemg51" post in regard to the synthetic oil mix per instructions.

These are the same instructions with the mix that we have been using the last decade for our chainsaws.

What they are saying bruce is mix the whole 2.6 oz. with one gallon of gas. Any engine requiring anyone of these ratios (50:1 40:1 32:1 & 16:1) it will work. Its a synthetic oil, its designed for this application.

Welcome to the Revolution!

RPM

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
I wouldn't advise anyone to copy me, but I did a lot of reading and am satisfied the crude China Girl will be just fine on the Walmart TCW3 which is probably a much higher quality oil than these engines ever get in China.

The Late Great Oil Debate

I suppose it you're going to run the engine at 7000+ rpm's all day long, you might want the peace of mind of a much more expensive oil. Now if I had a Rotax....

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i have to agree with you matt...it has a mineral oil base...i have used lucas at 50 to 1 and forget it...i dont know whats in that stuff but i got about 30 miles per gallon when i mixed it...i'm a amisol man...Dennis

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Oil, politics, religion. Sure to get replies. Also, top speed and the best way to polish chrome.

My homelite blower motor used 50:1 (any old kind) with no problem. I just switched to Amsoil Saber (80:1) just to keep things cleaner. I don't expect any miracles.

After reading the previous threads, I will say this...

I wouldn't use marine oil - like matt and 2door said.

City of angels mentioned using 20:1 for the first 2 gallons, then 32:1. That sounds like someone going through a new-motor break-in. I've always heard to NOT use synthetic while breaking-in.
If synthetic really prevents wear so much that a motor will not break-in properly, it must be great for a broke-in motor, eh?

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
strange...i've used amisol on all of my break-ins...i think it gets in places regular oil cannt..i also throw in a little z-max for good measure...Dennis

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I wouldn't advise anyone to copy me, but I did a lot of reading and am satisfied the crude China Girl will be just fine on the Walmart TCW3 which is probably a much higher quality oil than these engines ever get in China.

The Late Great Oil Debate

I suppose it you're going to run the engine at 7000+ rpm's all day long, you might want the peace of mind of a much more expensive oil. Now if I had a Rotax....
TCW3 outboard oil is designed for use in a water cooled engine, which run cooler and do not suffer from hot spots.. it's not designed to take the extra heat and will ash easier.. I'm pretty sure it even says not for air cooled engines on the back of the containers..

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
strange...i've used amisol on all of my break-ins...i think it gets in places regular oil cannt..i also throw in a little z-max for good measure...Dennis
I believe on all my synthetic oil packages it says regular petroleum base gas should be used for break in. I love synthetics though!!!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You guys have started a whizzing match with this wrong oil is better then NO oil. I say use what works for you. I like the cheapest I can find syn or the regular stuff. I have tried 50 to 1 with no ill effects but I seem to like the 32 to 1 best.
I'm also fond of castor oil I like the smell but don't drink it!
Norman

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You guys have started a whizzing match with this wrong oil is better then NO oil. I say use what works for you. I like the cheapest I can find syn or the regular stuff. I have tried 50 to 1 with no ill effects but I seem to like the 32 to 1 best.
I'm also fond of castor oil I like the smell but don't drink it!
Norman
Can't blame the Amsoil guy for once!!!.duh..flg..bf.