what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks was thinking about it and looked at the hardware store and found a bushing that will work
Thats great, I was thinking aluminum the whole time for some reason and it never dawned on me to consider a bronze/brass bushing that is 1.250" ID

Im assuming thats what you got....

Im just glad you found something that you can use to get those adapters hooked up on the wheels.

I love conversations like this, because we learn something that can be done to resolve a problem and no2 others in the future can learn from it also.

I hope you post some pix of the process if you have time or care to do so, pix sure help out with visual types.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I have always find information on here that is very helpful and I know that we all have the same thing in common besides where else can you have a fight about the reason we all have the capability to build these anyway we want and have someone tell us they can build one better LOL

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
No improvements today - the front end I found has a 1 .125" tube & the Micargi is fitted for a 1" size, so I guess I'm going hunting. Didn't get the computer on today, either, although I did rack up some miles. Very pleasant day for riding here in Michigan, My Michigan.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I've had a bad itch to go riding lately, here in Maine we're just getting to warm enough temps so today I blew the dust off my bike and fired it up for the first time since fall. Over the winter put on a new saddle with the help of one of sportscarpat's awesome layback posts. I also had to rig up a reinforced muffler support, a little piece of steel bar stock and a torch to bend it good and sharp took care of that. The stock support from Phantom was just not rugged enough and fatigued and snapped (coat hangars got me home that day LOL). Lastly, added some mirrors for safety as my last 5 miles to work is along a very busy road. Looking forward to warm sunny days here.

Before:

After:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
love the yellow-wall tires!

I mooched some gas and oil from the landlord and ran the bike with the new Huasheng motor today.
the choke only goes half on due to top-tube interference but she started in six pulls the first time, four the next, and two the time after that.

my temporary foot pegs (a few feet of bar and half a roll of electrical tape) seem to be working okay, I even rode the bike for a bit with the seat lowered (something I cannot do and pedal)

still getting used to the centrifugal clutch, it sounds to me like the engine is running pretty fast when it engages, but that said it seems to have lots of rpm range to go from there. maybe the idle it just really low or something.

the adventure continues...

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
green engine.jpg

green tank.jpg

green full.jpg so this is to days build what do you all think about this bike only took 3 hours between painting, buying paint and assembly I think that's pretty good for at old crippled old guy

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
DRBS!

I didn't know you were color blind. I'm so sorry. :)

But don't take me seriously. I'm just being a bit of a smart aleck. More for the fun of it than anything.

It is a nice paint job.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I thought I painted it john deer green oh my god it is NOT!!!!!! damn I guess I am color blind LOL no I saw the green his is painted when I went and got this green my buddy pointed it out saying I should paint it that color

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
well I got the 6 volt to 12 volt buck step up boards today the only problem I can see is they will only have an out put of 500 MAh at 12 volts so they would power leds and charge your phone or a GPS or a tablet but will not power a stereo but ill still set them up with a cigarette lighter plug and a switch for lights that way you could run a nice set of lights on your bike

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I was building the tri car I found that there are two wall thicknesses when buying tubing. There is 1/16th and 1/8th. If you buy 1/8th wall the inside diam. is the next size down. For instance 1-1/4" outside diam. is 1" inside diam.

Steve.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I found some on e-bay its 1.25 id and1.50 od I figure that cutting it into two pieces will leave enough so that there is room for forming it around the hub I'm also going to use a chisel to add a few gouges in the inside and out side to keep it from spinning on the hub also do the same to the inside of the hub adapter better safe than sorry but ill try it slowly to make sure it doesn't slip ill mark the hub and the adapter to check that it isn't moving if it does then back to the drawing boards I just might use a 1" one and use a hole saw and re cut the hole 1.25 well actually 1.20

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
hi there panhead you can get a billet mount at gasbike.net there really nice and you can paint them any color you want
Another site to check out - I've already found a low-buck solution on eBay I'm going to give a try & have the Mozo front end tucked away for another project. I've wondered what it might be like to build one from scratch, maybe with a frame that contains the tank.

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
I've had a bad itch to go riding lately, here in Maine we're just getting to warm enough temps so today I blew the dust off my bike and fired it up for the first time since fall. Over the winter put on a new saddle with the help of one of sportscarpat's awesome layback posts. I also had to rig up a reinforced muffler support, a little piece of steel bar stock and a torch to bend it good and sharp took care of that. The stock support from Phantom was just not rugged enough and fatigued and snapped (coat hangars got me home that day LOL). Lastly, added some mirrors for safety as my last 5 miles to work is along a very busy road. Looking forward to warm sunny days here.

Before:

After:
That is a neat looking ride!

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
Today I did get the computer mounted & functioning, and it does add to the fun. Also, while digging in the garage Saturday I came across an old bicycle headlight I decided to mount. While it does not work yet, I think it looks cool. I think it used to go with a generator, ages ago. It definitely adds a bit of character.
The computer is the same model I use on my Motobecane road bike & if you can find one at a good price they're the way to go - have all others topped hands down.

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Since I don't open my shop on Sundays and my wife wanted to go out shopping with her friends it was the perfect time for me to go to the shop and mess with the Stingray build I'm in the early stages of doing...
Today's progress was stripping the bike down to just the bare frame and taking the fork apart... completely apart, every nut and bolt off apart...
Got the triple tree parts and dipped them all in the carb dip tank for about 30 minutes to remove all the paint from everything as well as any grease or anything else... After a 30 minute dip in the Berryman B9 Chem dip, the paint released it's self and washed right off with water. Once the parts were completely free of paint, rust, grease, and clean I let everything dry real nice and begun powder coating all the small parts as well as the upper and lower tripletree pieces. these were metallic candy red but I'm going with semi gloss black for most my pieces so today I was doing all my powder coating in semi gloss black.
i also worked the fork legs, kick stand, and bottom bracket getting rid of all the rust and removing decals etc, the kickstand I decided to paint semi gloss black with the Plastikote ceramic engine block paint, it matches the powder coat black almost perfectly and sticks to the chrome a little better, not to mention makes touch ups later on real easy if needed. I'll most likely just powder coat it later on after I get a sand blast cabinet to blast off the chrome, but for now this will work.
The fork legs were covered with rust so I got out one of my 4" angle grinders and used a 4" wire cup brush to get rid of the rust and remaining decal residue. The fork legs will also be painted instead of powder coated once I'm sure of what color schem I'm gonna go with, but I'm really leaning toward semi gloss black and lime green as my main colors with some green tru fire airbrushed on the frame and tank when I get that far with the build...
I didn't mess with the engine for it today at all but I'll do more with it after I get a set of billet mounts for it. I still need to buy a seat for this one and it's going to need a new chain on the pedal side since the chain that's on it has a section where the links are rusted beyond help, the rest of the bike and the frame aren't very bad, but the chain has a 4" section that's so bad the links won't move freely anymore so I'm not even gonna try to save that one.
Other parts I still need to round up are fenders, seat, chain, and brakes. I'm thinking about doing hydraulic disc brakes front and rear since the rims will be painted and rim brakes ruin painted rims... I'm also thinking about getting a set of hydraulic front forks foo a small dirtbike or moped if I can find the right diameter and length fork tubes that can fit in that tripletree, but I may use a full tripletree if I have to.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Found some time to take my baby's for a ride.
First time out of the shop in a week.....
This is why I live in Astoria.....

Peggy's new seat isn't quite broke in , He he he, haw haw haw.... Told her so...