what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Ouch! Sorry to see those pics, Gorewound. I think this qualifies as a bad day for you.

But I'm also fond of saying, "These engines are so inexpensive they might as well be considered disposable". So this is where I'd just put in another engine and go on my way.

No doubt it will happen to me sooner or later, in fact.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Bluegoat, I've also got a new Shimano CB-E110 hub on the way. I'm sure that it's gonna be lots better than the Huffy Falcon I've been adjusting on the past 2 years. Gonna be especially important since I'm installing a 36t sprocket and adapter in place of the rag-jointed 44t it had. As I've been told, "Slow and steady progress makes you faster."

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
hi there everybody!!! well I have my 29" astra all done I love the hub adapter I got at sickbike im going to use them for every bike I build for now on. this bike is pretty fast so far and I haven't even gone past half throttle so what is the story on these gx35's im looking for a really sturdy bottom end any suggestions??? im looking at building a Schwinn midway since it has a steel frame and of Corse the name LOL I know there made in china but is there any built in the good ol usa?? besides the ones built here in Detroit yes there is a company building bikes here in Detroit I cant remember the name but there really expensive well im off to0 sleep and ill be thinking about what to do to this one thinking about a jackshaft for this one I have one sitting here collecting dust I bought it a few years ago for a build but the guy didn't have the extra money. I think I paid 175.00 for the deluxe kit it has the heavy duty crank freewheel and the bearings are a little iffy but im going to buy all Timken bearings for it next week thinking about breaking a case and putting high quality bearings for the crank well you all keep the rubber down and the throttle full and keep on bikin

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Today I maybe killed my bike...

cross your fingers for me folks, I'm going in.

*edit: Oh No!
If that engine was well balaned and ran good, I would for sure break it all the way down and clean the crankcase out well and check to see if the if lower rod bearing feels good and smooth, may not want to build it back up right now, but you could revive the little monster later on when you have some tinkering time.

sorry to see you loose an engine in such a horrible way, have you been able to see what you think may have been the cause?

Thats a heck on a hole in that piston for sure....wow!

Best of luck getting your bike ginning with a new power plant asap.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
If that engine was well balaned and ran good, I would for sure break it all the way down and clean the crankcase out well and check to see if the if lower rod bearing feels good and smooth, may not want to build it back up right now, but you could revive the little monster later on when you have some tinkering time.

sorry to see you loose an engine in such a horrible way, have you been able to see what you think may have been the cause?

Thats a heck on a hole in that piston for sure....wow!

Best of luck getting your bike ginning with a new power plant asap.

it's funny the engine was running perfect right up until it died. right now my theory is that the piston was a bad one (possibly crappy casting or something) sadly the chances are that I am going to scrap the two stroke and either buy a new china-girl (probably a better one) or just swap out for a gx35 (that little guy will fit in my frame)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
it's funny the engine was running perfect right up until it died. right now my theory is that the piston was a bad one (possibly crappy casting or something) sadly the chances are that I am going to scrap the two stroke and either buy a new china-girl (probably a better one) or just swap out for a gx35 (that little guy will fit in my frame)
Well I hate to here you may put that little gal to rest, but I wish you the best in what ever direction you decide to go.

Yep very well could have been a bad piston to begin with, we never know for sure what we're gonna get for sure.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Put my motor on today, and tried out my new clutch and found out how crappy the 2600rpm springs are, so , off came the motor again, and put in a 7000 rpm racing spring
Now it is tomorrow, I just finished putting my motor back on, and it is running just the way I wanted it to. WOW!!! what a difference!!! Not easy to get that spring on!!! but it is worth it. I noticed that my new HD clutch, is a lot heavier, and and takes a lot more to hold it back from kicking out so the red 7000 rpm HP spring works just PERFECT!!!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Now it is tomorrow, I just finished putting my motor back on, and it is running just the way I wanted it to. WOW!!! what a difference!!! Not easy to get that spring on!!! but it is worth it. I noticed that my new HD clutch, is a lot heavier, and and takes a lot more to hold it back from kicking out so the red 7000 rpm HP spring works just PERFECT!!!
Why good!

These bikes will always be a bit frustrating from time to time. And, yes, that's part of their charm. But this 'charm' is kinda underhanded, to my mind.

But, oh, the successes. They really make it worthwhile, don't they?

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
ok am I crazy or are more ppl putting "tiller" motors on bikes I just talked to a guy wanting me to put a 6 horse predator motor on his beach cruiser

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Why good!

These bikes will always be a bit frustrating from time to time. And, yes, that's part of their charm. But this 'charm' is kinda underhanded, to my mind.

But, oh, the successes. They really make it worthwhile, don't they?
Yes , and getting that HP spring on, was a lot more than just a " Bit" fustrating, and the knowledge and know how that I gained is priceless!!!
Thanks for your reply Bluegoatwoods.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
there are a gang of kids roaming my neighbourhood who all have those bike exhaust things, you know the plastic card with a holder-bracket and a big funnel pipe.

none of those to be seen last year, maybe it was me with my motor that gave them the idea...