what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Remounted the bike and made it as stable as I could without front mounts (need to get the old studs out and put new ones in; they snapped).

Tightened brakes a little more as the regular rubber V brakes wear out easily.

Connected the poo poo pipe to my bike, though took a while as I had to try and bend it in more to clear room for the pedals. I'm using a hose clamp on the end to the keep it tight onto my bike.

Cleaned out carburetor; still getting a lot of leak problems.

Took it for a test and it runs great so far; love how it's become much more quiet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Installed the same fender strap bolt I replaced last break in the weather that let me ride. Chinese loctite from Harbor Freight, not so hot. Well, I didn't let it set and only snugged the bolt in. I was running out of sun light. Will give it another shot but I am pretty sold on muffler sealer for every thing. Cheap and works. win/win.

Awesome ride today! was warm and really needed some time just buzzing around. I stopped to talk to a cop. (street was blocked off and I asked if I could ride down it) We ended up BS'n for a while. He thought MBs were really cool. Usual questions. How fast, MPG etc. He said I must be a "hearty soul to be ridding in this weather" I said "naw, fear of ice and folks in cars keep ya pretty warm" lol

Think I have spoken with every cop in our happy lil town and each and every one has been great. Aside from the cop/legal MB stuff, they are just fun to chat with. One of em, when I brag about my MPG, he turns the stereo on his MC on or up. He wants a 2 smoke. Be cool to have a ridding buddy who is a local Peace Officer.

Just a great day. MB+sun/warm=just a great day.

.wee.

Last edited:

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO

A couple days ago I bought a $10 snowblower at the thrift store. It cost me $3 to get it running. Damned snow keeps falling and making me use it to blow snow!
as soon as the snow stops falling I will have a nice 1974 Tecumseh 85cc.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cool StreetStrip. $10, score! I have an old Tecumseh snow thrower. Dunno how old and the carb is shot but is a great engine. Just replaced it and engine will some day be on a pusher. Take a look at the worm gear that drives the blades. Gonna see if I can use that on a vertical shaft, rack mount. Is an intrinsic reduction. Has to be pretty stout to function as designed. I have yet to figure out how to connect shaft to it. Need another worm/angle gear. Dunno, maybe a plate sort of deal with a driven wheel. If the wheel could move along the shaft, would give you gears. Like a ridding mower. hmm, I have an old mower waiting to be scrapped. Is under (no kidding) 5 foot of snow. Might be a spring project.

Now that I have rambled so far off topic I need a map, boy scout and a GPS to get back. Tom/2Door lives near you. You guys ever get to ride together?

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Dan: It must be nice not to have warrants! J/K

Today I painted my Super Titan black, actually, just the plastic part. I sure would like to get it all flat black.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Dan: It must be nice not to have warrants! J/K

Today I painted my Super Titan black, actually, just the plastic part. I sure would like to get it all flat black.
Well, not in this country. In my defense, they had no stinkin' badges. snork

Your engine looks great black. I really love my Honda but the red, dunno, looks sort of cheapish. Always liked how the Briggs engines looked with their black color scheme. Gives em a sort of hard working professional look. Just a preference sort of thing but really do like the way yours came out. Custom decal on your pull start cover would really set it off nice. My HF with the schroud black and the pulls start cover silver chrome looks awesome close up. (IMHO) Post 22, http://motorbicycling.com/f37/riverside-build-23871-3.html

What did you use for paint? They have some really cool rattle cans for plastic.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I used Krylon Fusion. But that was yesterday.

Today I put the suspension forks on and the wide cranks with the 3 piece adapter. I also replaced the bars and the kickstand.

Before and after shots...the fenders had to go.

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

its been a while since i was last online been kinda busy. i kinda feel like ive abandoned my internet motorbike family. working nights really seems to take the energy out of me specially six days a week.

well my bike has been running great my rear tire is a little bent up so it rubs slighty on the chain and feels weird when braking. ive been riding it to work everyday and it kicks butt. i recently discovered starting fluid and wow that stuff is awesome.

its kinda ironic before i had my job i was always dreaming of my next motor bike and had plenty of time but couldnt afford it. now that ive got cash im so darn busy i dont have time or energy to work on my new bike. i actually have about 600 dollars in parts just sitting in a box waiting for installation on my 300 dollar bike sitting in my bedroom.

im setting a goal for end of march maybe ill get a couple two day weekends

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Heya Wildy' once it warms up you'll get the itch and, of course, git'r done!

I've been cruising around in the snow, waiting for ice patches but thanking my screws.

My Cat got beat upa few days ago, he was stoned on the 'nip when he left last week, he hasn't eaten any 'nip for 4 days, I think I'll have to shoot his nemesis...heh heh.

grocery-getter popped an exhaust stud, gotta get'r back-to-'not spewing oil 'everywhere, whoo!

Joy's of MB'n :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Is 40F!!!!!(@9AM) Ride or maintenance? Ya know whats gonna win that one. LOL. Yesterdays snow ended up being rain so got rid of the considerable amounts of ice.

Got a trailer hitch and installed yesterday. (car) Will make some great cash via currier gig. Soon to have more toys! Working on an engine and tranny that should be awesome. Multi speed with elec. & kick start. So will have intrinsic lighting capability. (Cig lighter, radio, GPS) Need $ for parts but this is gonna be cool!

Man, sorry to hear about your cat Killer. Hate that. My Ethel had a bully. I used to wait for the evil lil critter with a super soaker just to train it to stay away from our area. Ethel is a kind soul who dated a skunk and had a blind mouse who she would share meals with. Just a really cool animal and my best buddy. If I coulda got away with it....

WA, lol! That is always the way. Got the cash, theres no time. Got the time...

Is funny, worked last week mostly at night. Was really missing you guys and feeling like I was not some how holding up my part.
(Like we are planning on invading Uganda or some thing. LOL, with an annoying buzzing sound. Imagine hearing a few hundred MBs coming from over the horizon while standing watch of a national border in a desert. That would be funny and gonna be part of a short story some day)

But spring is coming!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

(Like we are planning on invading Uganda or some thing. LOL, with an annoying buzzing sound. Imagine hearing a few hundred MBs coming from over the horizon while standing watch of a national border in a desert. That would be funny and gonna be part of a short story some day)

But spring is coming!
I can see it now painted faces. lol A guy in front wielding the throttle. ''Yelling Freedom''. Think Mel Gibson movie. :D;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL, throw in some "Mad Max" riders and costumes. (Now that would make a vid!)

Man Goat, we are twisted.

Long ride. Getting rust bleeds every where from salt wash. WD40'd rims. (I know) And gonna lightly grease every thing ASAP. One thing about the cheap Chinese bikes, they do paint em well and frame paint is unscathed.

Really gotta get on the maintenance.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I did a mock-up build today to see if everything fits. It doesn't. not yet at least.

My engine barely fits so I can't use the choke lever. The gearbox sticks out too far so the sprockets wont line up. I've got one of the best motormount plates available (Bicycle-engines.com), but I can't drill into it to move the engine any further to the right and move the engine forward. I have fo find a fabricator and make friends with him quick.

Dax is out of his motormounts, I have already emailed him.

Dang.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
What did Ya' work on today?

I spent some time today riding and getting my bike dialed in and tuned up. Installed a new speedometer last week and I like it much better. Its a mechanical old school type like on a whizzer. Works great says 25 is easy cruz it will go much faster but it starts to feel sketchy past 30 fastest so far 38. I like 25 much better. Did the usual chain tension adjust, dinked with headlight and taillights and loving the new centerstand I installed a week ago. If the weather holds out I'll be riding to the Cafe next week to meet with everyone again. .wee.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR

Well I spent some time today riding and getting my bike dialed in and tuned up. Installed a new speedometer last week and I like it much better. Its a mechanical old school type like on a whizzer. Works great says 25 is easy cruz it will go much faster but it starts to feel sketchy past 30 fastest so far 38. I like 25 much better. If the weather holds out I'll be riding to the Cafe next week to meet with everyone again.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Like I had said I began the Huffy Nes Ullman build until I discovered the the crank bearings were bad on a new bike and so I returned it and got a Huffy Cranbrook that I looked over especially hard for flaws. After not finding anything bad today I mounted the springer forks and made a head tube spacer and chopped the front fender to be a shorty... I also started looking at my new Grubee engine and tried to remove the ugly decals and pulled more paint off than decal so ordered the chrome covers and head to fit it... Tomorrow I begin mounting the engine...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Oh man Smoothe, not fun. Asking here, how about making a mounting plate for the mounting plate (not following why yours can't be drilled)
Tilting the engine slightly forward or back? (the mount) Makes checking the oil a pain but works.

Just thinking out loud and asking. That "almost" feeling is a bummer!

If you don't have one, should start a thread on her. Ya know, so as to get some good advise. lol

I am sure others have had the same problem and have some tried and true work arounds.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida

Fixed rear fender "L" bracket. Replaced my 36 with a 40. Kind of in the sweet spot now.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS

Re-mounted my engine (again) and used thick mouse pad between the mounts.

Bent the top of chain tensioner so that the wheel would align better with the chain.

Fixed the muffler and exhaust and mounted it with two hose clamps, one at the end, and one at the beginning (where I could get them to clamp onto the frame)

Added mouse padding to the clutch covers

Fixed my gear shifter (inside broke)

Now I'm just waiting for new studs to put on the front mount, my bike indicator lights, and a mirror; then I'm all good and complete for my bike, finally!