what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I made the form for a new fiberglass gas tank to replace my leaky steel one that I made. I should be able to start doing the glass lay-ups in the next day or two.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

lost my speedometer. :(

the display/computer had shimmied a little while i was riding and i went to adjust it with my thumb, next thing i see is it bouncing on the ground next to me and getting run over by cars.

at least it was $12

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

rode my 26" imperial to the store a few blocks away to get smokes. left about 1pm and just got back. haven't ridden it in awhile, and put it up for sale again, so i had to make sure it was still going strong. and it is...

Attachments

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

I made the form for a new fiberglass gas tank to replace my leaky steel one that I made. I should be able to start doing the glass lay-ups in the next day or two.
How sturdy and leak resistant are tanks fashioned of fiberglass?

I have a "dream tank" i think would be easy to fashion using a mandrel or casting template because a sheet metal tank would be too hard to make

yodar

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

You need to ever so insanely carefuly cut about 3/8" of sheath off the cable from around the inner. Near damn impossable to do without nicking it. Dremel cutoff wheel can do it.... Maybe a bike shop can do it... There are posts on her about remaking the ends, So you could cut the cable, Remove it, cut the sheath, then put a new end on (need to cut sheath more to leave enough inner cable to cast a new end on, But stock throttle cables are usally too long anyway)

On the plus side, if you make it way to long as I did, your throttle grip is just loose for a little bit of the twist, You won't lose WOT (Wide open Throttle).

What end does your throttle brake at? Maybe you should make a new thread.
This Noobie thanks you for the information...My cable IS waaay TOO long and i am anxiously awaiting my High-Tech throttle from sick bikes ! I think i can perform the tasks you recommend and re-install the cable end bushing with industry's FINEST FIX-IT-STUFF GOOP rubber sealant/glue

Got my 1" spring fork from the west coast yesterday. my weekend's gonna be busy fussing with the bike

Thanks all!

yodar

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

yodar,

whizzers and many older bikes had fiberglass tanks. if done right and sealed with a product like Kreem, they should last until you crash on it.

as far as your cable end, if you mean the barrel end for the lever, or any end that is used as a "stop," an epoxy-type glue or JB weld won't hold up to the pressure.

here's how i made a simple mold: http://motorbicycling.com/f13/how-make-simple-cable-end-mold-21321.html

i'm also using the same method on the end of the clutch rod. i measured where i needed the barrel, then threaded the cable through the clutch rod, pushed the lever in, and soldered on a new end. obviously it's not adjustable, but it cleans up the frayed end, and gets rid of the ugly cable stop.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

help a friend put a grubee starfire kit on his cranbrook. his came with a 415 chain (said he got it from bikeberry) and i gotta say... damn! that's a big chain!

also got my speed carb in the mail finally. gonna put it on tomorrow...

anyone know what can be swapped between the cns and speed carbs?

EDIT: put the speed carb on, not sure yet of any improvement, but it did seem to run just a tad smoother than before...

also saw bike nut's atomic BB fuel tank system (the two MSR bottles) gotta say, i think i may do that too...

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

so took the bike for a ride today with the speed carb.

i love it... didn't use any goop at all, but after a short ride, it only move a tiny bit (whereas the cns would have been hanging off at that point)

probably just a tiny amount of j-b weld and it'll be set... but then again, i do kinda want that billet manifold for it...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

so took the bike for a ride today with the speed carb.

i love it... didn't use any goop at all, but after a short ride, it only move a tiny bit (whereas the cns would have been hanging off at that point)

probably just a tiny amount of j-b weld and it'll be set... but then again, i do kinda want that billet manifold for it...
Cool Sharrd. Glad to hear. (read, "read" snicker, snork) Know ya been hav'n a bit of a battle with em.

This was a great idea for a thread. Really interesting and kinda fun to see inside the daily life of fellow MBAs. (Motor Bikie Addicts)

.flg.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Cool Sharrd. Glad to hear. (read, "read" snicker, snork) Know ya been hav'n a bit of a battle with em.

This was a great idea for a thread. Really interesting and kinda fun to see inside the daily life of fellow MBAs. (Motor Bikie Addicts)

.flg.
:D exactly, the thread over on the car club i'm on like this has something like 11,000 replies already (although the thread as been going for about 8 years)

thinking i may take the filter from the cns, and hack it up for more airflow

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cool. Or as the kids say now-a-days, Kool

I have done some experimenting with the HF, 4 smokes and their filter covers. Forgot to keep stats or numbers, but did add a bit of umph.

this one is with no cover other then chicken or hardware wire

I have yet to ride with this one but is with the cover and a hole cut out directly over the carb inlet of it using just a hole saw.
Dang, phone died and pic didn't send to email. Want to try a scoop sort of thing next. I really should get RPM and speed #s. Was more worried about looks and didn't think of it.

So as to be OnT, thats what I did to my MB Saturday morning, lol. Sunday played with a welder. (brandy new and man is that a fun implement of construction!) Made a really cool muffler and mounted a new HF. I had blown the last one up as an experiment as to how much abuse they can take. A surprisingly lot. Worked on a multi-speed tranny. Actually, a pretty awesome whole week-end of MB fun.

dance1

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

I moved mine from the west side of my garage to the east side of my garage to make room to take apart a car engine... MB hasn't run for a few months.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

ordered 2 aluminum fuel bottles... time to build me a cooler tank (going for an atomic BB style)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

I made a truing stand out of an old set of forks and a set of cruiser bars. I'm thinking once I put a washer behind the old calipers, I can 'move them in place' so I have good reference points...

Attachments

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona

Commuted to work on my 4 stroke 35cc Subaru Staton Inside Drive, as I do every day, four hilly miles each way. Someone stole my bike lights yesterday, so went to Malwart and bought a Schwinn Xenon light. Surprisingly bright.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc

Damn I hate people who can't keep thier hands off our bikes. Had a mirror stolen from my bike the day I bought it! right infront of a major store too. Also on other rides found my horn, Fuel shutoff and choke messed with. I need a sticker on my gas tank "I don't touch your car, Don't touch my bike."

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

My engine always leaked so much it was always nasty and black. Nobody touched it... haha.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

rode it to college. don't think i'll ever do that again...

found out some a** decided to loosen 2 out of three clutch cover screws on it. i'm about halfway home and realize that my clutch won't disengage anymore, made it very difficult to start riding the bike.