Custom made brackets to lower and stretch a monark fork

GoldenMotor.com

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri

I made a set of these today iv always hated how tucked the front wheel is on the monark front ends these are the prototype but I think I'm going to have a couple sets laser cut. The difference is subtle but it changes the whole look of the front end.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I like the new stance of your front end, it looks nice and I do not want to detract from your build or be too critical, but have you measured your new set up for trail?

I have read that a trail measurement of around 2" is desirable. From looking at your pictures, it looks like you are approaching a trail measurement of zero, or even possibly a positive trail. In this situation the bike could be a little more squirrelly.

I am sure it probably works fine, I just thought it might be something to look into.

Your bike looks fun to ride,

Gilbert

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
No I have done zero measurements of any kind I got the stance where I liked it and that was it haha. They just bolt in so if it handles crappy I can just put the old plates back in and all I wasted was an hour or so making them. That link was good reading however and now I'm really curious to see how she handles. I won't know till my shorter stem comes in so my new clubman bars fit right. I will report back either with good news or a crash story.

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
I'll measure the trail tomorrow and culver I don't think it will bottom out it really didn't raise the tire into the fork that much at all it really just moved it forward and new the spot where it would bottom out on the tire is lower down the radius because of his forward movement if that makes any sense.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur about checking to make sure the wheel doesn't bottom out on the lower crown of the fork!!
That's how Jake broke his shoulder several years ago!!!

He was simply riding into his driveway from the street & as he went over the dip, it bottomed out & threw him over the bars!! :(

Also... (those new dropouts look pretty kewl)! (^)

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
I don't think it will bottom out the relationship between the crown and were the tire would contact didn't change. The bracket just moved the wheel forward for the most part. I'm going to take it out now and report back since its 60 degrees here in New England for some reason.

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
So update I measured trail crudely and got about 5/8" I just rode it for the first time and sat on the handle bars to try to bottom it out under full compression I still had about 3/8 to 1/2 travel left to go and that's with a 2.5" hookworm which most know is a big tire. The bike actually felt like it handled around turns better. I did notice it was slightly harder to ride with no hands at very low speed which I don't usually do that's just one way I gauge how true and solid the front end is. Over all I'm very happy zero problems at all. I'm good friends with a guy that owns a tool and dye shop so full machine shop and manufacturing. I'm going to put a few more miles on mine as well as a set I made for my friend and see how they go long term and then start manufacturing them for the forum guys