Replacing studs on engine help!

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Hey guys,

I still haven't quite got my bike up and running yet...

I want to replace every weak part on my bike, so what would I have to do?
I've already snapped 3 bolts on the rear sprocket, so I need to replace those.
I have a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk GT5 (Slanted Head)

Can you guys suggest some good parts to replace my:
-Head studs
-Mounting studs
-Spark Plug Boot
-Chain
-Chain Tensioner
-Rear Sprocket Bolts

Where would I go to get top notch parts to replace the crap that comes with the kit so I can prevent this thing from becoming a huge maintenance whore?

Thanks guys! I know you all have tons of experience with getting things tuned up nicely.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
The last time I did a rag unit, I centered it by measuring 4 points off the rim. ( 12-3-6-9 .o'clock ) the number them opposite . (1-9) then I used a cordless drill with the clutch turn down to #2 tightening them up to sit by the numbers that I had laid out. then turn the drill up a number to send it again and then turn a drill up a number or two again until the rubbers make contact with each other.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
The last time I did a rag unit, I centered it by measuring 4 points off the rim. ( 12-3-6-9 .o'clock ) the number them opposite . (1-9) then I used a cordless drill with the clutch turn down to #2 tightening them up to sit by the numbers that I had laid out. then turn the drill up a number to send it again and then turn a drill up a number or two again until the rubbers make contact with each other.
This is what I did on my last rag build. Worked like a charm.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I use 8.8 strength from a local hardware store rather than the 4.8 that comes with the kit. Broke the first one in 2 years today as traffic forced me into a pothole that smacked me pretty hard. Realized a block or so later that motor was leaning left : (

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Buy a torque wrench and use it. Over tightening and breaking fasteners is one of the most common issues with any kit. You have to understand that the fasteners are small, the biggest being head bolts at 8mm. Treat them kindly.

Ignore the advice to "tighten" them after or before every ride. Check them, but if they're tight, leave them alone.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Pay close attention to what Tom said about tightening things down on these engines.... Torque wrench is best way to know it's right.

Here is a link to a complete fastener upgrade kit. http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1222.htm

I buy 8.8 grade all thread rod from McMasterCarr.com myself and make my own studs they also have all the bolts and nuts you will need if you would rather not go with the Stainless Steel fastener Kit I listed a link to.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=niy6ux

Peace, Map

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi FractaL64.. whereabouts in Canada are you? There are members here from coast to coast, there's bound to be someone nearer to you who can tell you the better places to buy hardware.

The engine studs can all be replaced with threaded rod from Fastenal, M6x1.0 for the frame mounts, M8 for the engine studs. They'll have all the hardware you'll need as well, and should be able to replace the sprocket/rag joint bolts. For the plug boot, wire and plug, stop in at a NAPA store. Or you can buy replacements from one of the site's sponsers, it just depends on whether you want to make and install or just install the parts.