Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

DiGiTaL-CORE

Mar 11, 2013
Montebello, CA, USA
Scary man! A really inspiring story, though. Read this one from start to finish! Can't wait to get started on a project of my own. Maybe not as sweet as yours with the hybrid tech going on ;P but, non the less, I'm excited

dance1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Scary man! A really inspiring story, though. Read this one from start to finish! Can't wait to get started on a project of my own. Maybe not as sweet as yours with the hybrid tech going on ;P but, non the less, I'm excited

dance1
Unless the roads that you ride on are in brand new condition, like the autobahn, you should do a walk around your bike and do a visual inspection of the bolts on your bike before each ride. Especially ones that are on moving/rotating parts of your bike. My bikes like a cat with 9 lives and it's already cashed in a few of those lives. The damage caused was minor cause I never restarted the gas motor cause I heard a weird noise coming from my bike that I never heard before. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That bike looks great! Looks like something Steve McQueen would be jumping over barbed wire with. (The younger generation didnt get that one)
Thanks much. I never planned it that way but somehow it turned out looking like that. Why can't the big motorcycle companies still make motorbikes like they use to......simple, stylish and without being expensive? I know they could if they really wanted to.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are 2 reasons you don't get simple any more. The posers can't pretend to be GP racers or outlaws, and to make something as a simple honest bike would be to admit all the rest of it is wasteful, fraudulent tat.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There are 2 reasons you don't get simple any more. The posers can't pretend to be GP racers or outlaws, and to make something as a simple honest bike would be to admit all the rest of it is wasteful, fraudulent tat.
LOL. I didn't want to hear the truth but you pretty much nailed it on the head mate. All you can do is build your own or modify something that already exists. I would just as soon buy something that is already built though.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
52 teeth of knee blowing goodness.

I went for a more traditional lighter 52T chainring so I don't have to ghost pedal as much once I get rolling. If I ever run out of voltage to the rear hub then I will probably be pushing the bike on foot. The gas sprocket is only a 50 toother. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Movin' on up to 98cc Lifan flat head. The Huasheng has been bulletproof but it just doesn't have the get up and go for anything other than flat terrain. It's too little HP trying to push to much bike. Sometimes slowness is a dangerous thing, not a safe thing. The city of L.A. is one of those exceptions. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
ALL EYES ON ME, when I'm on the road. Not as worried about the cagers behind me as I am about the ones coming at me and turning across my path. So I'm installing a strobe controller for my 7" headlight cause I gots disco fever. I want to be as obnoxiously visible as I possibly can.

Attachments

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Installed the 12 pattern strobe module to the headlight. I'm now a rolling disco from the front and back of my bike. Anything goes for a bicycle as far as lighting is concerned. Best $12 I ever spent. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Cool Mike. Any vids?
The videos will be a coming cause it's too wild looking not to film. I need to shoot at dusk though. Too much daylight and you can't see the lights. Too dark and you won't see the bike. I want both to be recognizable. I'll be filming tomorrow night.

I started out wanting to ride that bike as low profile and low key as possible then I thought maybe that wouldn't be a very good idea if I wanted to have a long life. LOL

Yes I had a close call with an oncoming car turning in front of me. I thought I had fully battery power to the headlight only to realize when I got home that the battery was near dead.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Couldn't get hit by even a drunk with all that going on. "boogie fever" being stuck in your head is a small price, lol.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Couldn't get hit by even a drunk with all that going on. "boogie fever" being stuck in your head is a small price, lol.
The flashing headlight is mainly for daylight, low light situations. I can say it makes heads snap towards you in any lighting condition plus it prolongs your battery.

It's not the drunks I fear cause I'm not out when they are. It's the cell phone yappers and texting drivers that are looking at their laps instead of the road, that send a chill down my spine. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My first face plant into a car at night that was turning in front of me into a liquor store. Luckily I was going lass than 10 mph at the point of impact. Me and the bike suffered not even a scratch except to one of my pedals. I can't say the same about the guys car, but it was a beater anyway. dance1

I take that back. I got a lump on the side of my elbow the size of a golf ball. Sigh.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You have reminded me of a small survival tip I saw once. If you see a car all dented or with different colour body panels, watch out, the driver may well be the reason for the dents and technicolours.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You have reminded me of a small survival tip I saw once. If you see a car all dented or with different colour body panels, watch out, the driver may well be the reason for the dents and technicolours.
The guy stepped out of the car and had coke bottle glasses on. He looked like he was wearing telescope lenses. Luckily it was a low speed impact my bike would have been messed up bad. Never mind me. Bone heal but bikes don't. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i think its sick.
It's about to get a little sicker.

The 48V battery charger is now on-board and connected to a 400 Watt inverter which is connected to the 12V battery mounted above the front wheel.
The 48V Lithium battery pack will now be charged simultaneously while it's being depleted in an attempt to extend battery range without having to add additional Lithium battery packs, battery weight, battery space and most of all....battery cost. The 12V battery is LiFePo4 and weighs 1.7 lbs.

The never-ending saga continues. A friction driven alternator to simultaneously charge the 12V battery, to complete the charging cycle, is in the works. LOL