What kind of bike would you recommend?

GoldenMotor.com

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
Hello I have the 80cc engine, and I have it on my mountain bike. It is kind of a cheap bike and I'm thinking about updating it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a mountain bike. I was wondering what bike is a good fitting one for the engine and a nice riding one.

(c) - Thanks
Shawn

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
us older guys like the cruisers. some stretch some regular. you can sit up straight and they have a really comfortable ride with the ballon tires and a springer front end really makes it nice or shocks. i have came to the realization that 99% of the frames you are going to have to do a little work to get the bicycle motor fit properly. so the way i would do it is find one you like that is comfortable and go for it. :ride2: welcome to the forum shawn! glad to have you with us

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey I'm older than most of the people here and my bike isn't really comfortable. My only requirement is that it have a big seat for my big butt. I can live with the rest, but I don't do long rides. Ten miles is about my longest so far.

ZOOMCAT

Mar 14, 2008
you can find all kinds of bikes . theres a website called property room.com this is where the police dept auction off all the stuff they seized and the sell bikes like 20 in a bunch for real cheap and they always have alot of late 80s cruisers and they work great. zoomcat

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yard sales and second hand type stores are a good place even the city dumps for the older style of frames but a welder will make the hard ones fit. One of the guys even fitted a full suspension bike with an engine its very cool more work than I'm willing to put out for a bike. check out the bikes here and you will get ideas to help you get going.
Welcome to the dark side of motorized bicycling.(^)
One important thing brakes are very important the side pull type seem to work the best as they apply more power and have the biggest pads I don't have a disc braked bike but I'd bet they are very good. Your levers need to be mated to the type of brakes you are going to use if you build your own the old style pinch levers will not work very well on the newer side pull levers they have a diffenent geometry built onto them and will make it a booger if you get the wrong levers on the wrong style brakes.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Keep in mind these engine kits are made to fit the old diamond frame bikes the best, most older or older style cruiser frames are suitable as well.

I did note that at least in my case, the diamond frame bike was smoother, with less engine vibrations being transmitted to the seat/bars.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In my case I have a golden rule.... cheap is better... Gears look cool but how often do you actually change your gear in a motor bike.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Good brakes are the Key. You need really good brakes. A really good front and rear brake. Everything else is second. Titan is coming... Enjoy the ride...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Taken from Zippys

Most 24" or 26" bicycle with diamond frame and horizontal top tube should have sufficient space to mount motor.

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.

Instruction Manual - Gas Powered Bicycle Engines, Motorized Fast Bicycles, Motor Gas Engine Bicycle, Bike Conversion Engine Kits, Motor Assisted Bike Engines 80cc and 49cc, Peddle Start Motorized Bicycle Engine and more!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nice reminder for those looking for a bike to build- I printed it out in big bold letters for the shop wall.

(my 'index card' learning style)

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
I started looking without a price in mind. What I came across at Wal-mart surprised me. The orange and blake Kaluna 7 speed. Everything fit, no modifications to speak of a really easy install on a $99 solid bike with hand brakes.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey Kip how about some pictures. Welcome to the forum. Your among some of the greatest motorized bicycle enthusiasts in the world...................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
*Taken from golden eagles*...Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

Rack or rear mount belt drive

How to measure to see if our kit will work on your bike

Minimum Clearance between Inside of forks/seat stays:
3 & 3/8" is the Minimum Total clearance between Inside of forks/seat stays. Measure 8 & 1/2" up forks from Top of the axle, at that point (it's where the ring sits on the wheel) you need 3 3/8" between the Inside of the forks. 3 3/8" is exactly the length of the long edge of a credit card. At 8 1/2" up fork from axle, slip a credit card between the forks - if the card fits, so will the drive ring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Not quite enough clearance for drive ring? A customer shared steps taken when found need for additional 1/8" between rear forks/seat stays and spokes for clearance for the drive ring: Remove rear wheel, insert long bolt thru axle holes on frame, secure w/nut - this holds forks/stays in correct position, measure along frame 8 1/2" to where drive ring will be positioned, spread frame using scissor jack from a small car (another cust. used 2x4's). DO NOT spread frame any more than needed. NOT recommend for the tight, 'squeezed in' frames. **This is ONLY recommended for those who need additional 1/8" clearance. ** Readjust brakes as nessacery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24" Wheel - Specific

Bicycles with 24" Wheels -
If your bike has Caliper, Disk or Coaster brakes, And you have measured fork width for drive ring clearance - installation of the GEBE Mount Kit - With or Without Engine should go smoothly.

BUT if your bike has a V-brake, you should take one final measurement - for Ring/Brake clearance.

Measure up the fork to the edge of the brake post - if you have 8 1/2" Clearance from the Top of the axle to the brake post, there is Adequate Clearance.

If you measure Less than 8 1/2", from top of axle to brake post - File axle drop-outs back 3/16". This will allow the wheel to be moved back 3/16", providing clearance. Re-adjust brakes!!

** IMPORTANT! We DO NOT recommend you motorize a 27" touring bike or a coaster brake bike. The rims and spokes of these bikes may not hold up well to the pounding they will take at Eagle speed.

** IMPORTANT! This kit is NOT designed to mount on a Quick Release axle. The Quick Release should be replaced with a standard solid axle (available at most bicycle shops), comes with cones and bearings. - OR - You can purchase a Replacement axle from GEBE that fits the cones and bearings of the 10mm Fine or Sealed Bearing quick release axle.

Last edited:

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
Go to Youtube or Google and search the word KipWay to see the Orange Kulana's in action riding and starting etc. The local TV news did a story on the bike I "was" making.

Kip

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
I run a happy time motor on a rebadged schwinn road bike frame with 27" wheels and quick release hubs and it works great. I decided to go with this bike because it weighs 28 lbs where most mountain bikes weigh closer to 40 lbs. Now i had to grind a little on the frame for the chain to clear on the rear sprocket. If you mainly plan to ride on the street this frame will work but any hard offroading will surely bend the rims and break spokes.

Attachments

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
you can find all kinds of bikes . theres a website called property room.com this is where the police dept auction off all the stuff they seized and the sell bikes like 20 in a bunch for real cheap and they always have alot of late 80s cruisers and they work great. zoomcat
I love this site,man all the cool beachcruisers!!!!Do they ship?How much is shipping if they do????
Oh on choices of bikes,I say beachcruiser all the way....They give the bikes the old school motorcycle look....I think the mountain bikes look like sh@t....
John-John