Scooter Windshield On My Motorized bike!

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I bought a generic/universal windshield/windscreen on ebay two years ago. It was something like this one:

Scooter Moped Motorcycle Windshield Universal Mount | eBay

It sat on my shelf since then, until today. I FINALLY figured out a way to mount the windscreen firmly and cheaply with available brackets, with no custom welding or parts fabricated. It was easy, and the windshield was mounted in a couple hours.

The windshield is 14" tall, 17.5" @ its wide bottom and 11.5" @ its topmost width.

I'll ride to work tomorrow with my new windscreen. While seated on the bike, I can hunch down a little, and my body will be protected. Only part of my motorcycle helmet will be exposed to aerodynamic drag.

Pics to follow soon, and the big test is my commute tomorrow.dance1

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The secret? I used two common aluminum brake levers, one on each side of the handlebar. A hacksaw was used to cut the brake lever mounting bosses from the part that clamps onto the bar. Replacing the short M8 bolts with 30mm studs secured the windscreen solidly. The clamps allow the screen to be adjusted up to over 200*.

Everything that was on the handlebar before the windscreen installation was reinstalled. The only exception is that the right-side handlebar grip is 2" shorter.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, man. You don't know how many times I thought about tossing the windshield out. I just couldn't figure out how to mount it solidly, yet have good adjustment angle.

I MIGHT fab a center brace, from windscreen top to bike's top tube.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The windscreen worked well enough on my 6-mile ride to work. My helmet visor and the 'screen want to rest against each other while cruising. There is some flexing top-to-bottom, that a center brace could control.

Even tho the temperature is mid-70's, I can feel the difference in temps behind the screen and alongside it.

I am liking the 'screen and its inexpensive total cost.dance1

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I did something similar to mount a roll bag on my bars .I cut up some old bullhorn grips i had kicking around .

use what ya got .

That will definitely be worth its wieght in gold once it gets colder ... man i,m already cold ... and i,m still in the house .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
5-7,

I've thought about a windscreen for a while now. Duane (thatsdax) has a bike with one and he gave me the website where to order it. I haven't yet but now my interest is up again. I might have to give it a try. Maybe I could do a little more riding when the temps take a plunge here. I've also looked at handgrip shields that would help keep the fingers from freezing. Thanks for the suggestion and yours looks great.
Tom

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Dude that's freaking sweet, I wonder if you can get the bike to go fast enough to make bugs splatter? I know when I ride crotch rocket I have em splattering all over my glasses and lid. Now add some fairings to that and tuck in!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Lol, Acraze, I've already got bug splatter on the windscreen,

Hey Tom. The levers are outside of the windscreen, so no handgrip shields.

diceman, it never gets cold here. Even the rain is warm. Morning commute is low-to-mid 70's.

However, I DO warm my gloves on the exhaust pipe. My head pipe is right above the top tube, inches away from my seat.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
That windshield looks perfect for your bike! I made one for my MB and like it alot for the comfort. I put over 2500 miles on my Curries eZip Trailz this summer without one and got caught in too many rainstorms. I looked on the internet for windshields but found them way too expensive. Finally, I made mine out of 30 in x 36 in plexiglass ($24.00). Its wide enough for hand protection on my Cranbrook (36 in. wide) and goes 23 in. above and 7 in. below handle bars. It didn't seem to slow the bike at all. I can still hit top speed of 30 mph and cruise at 26 mph even going into mild winds... less than
15 mph. Enjoy the ride! You've got a nice looking one.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, porch lizard.

Good on you for making your own. How did you bolt it down?

Nah, it doesn't slow the bike down. In fact, the bike SHOULD go a little faster, use less gas and push thru the wind, if I can find the windscreen's sweet spot. Luckily, the angle can be adjusted up to 200 degrees.

I might use edging around it for strength, maybe even fab a center brace.

The windscreen flexes a bit when I hit any road bumps.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
5-7 Heaven
I made two handle bar clamps with bolts that were welded to flat iron shaped in a curve to match the handlebars. It vibrated on even small bumps, so I added a brace that bolts to the handlebar stem right in the middle. That made it really stable. By the way, I used edging on the bottom of mine...water pressue tanks usually have edging on the bottom of them, and it fit perfectly on the windshield.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for tips, porch lizard. Where would I find water pressure tanks or their edgings?

Any pictures of your windshield?

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Water pressue tanks are all in rural areas where people have their own water well and water systems. They often go bad and need replacing. There are two types generally, fiberglass and steel tanks. The steel tanks have the trim on the bottom as a protecter from rust. Check with well drillers who install the water systems, they may have the old ones they have replaced.
Heres a picture of my windshied. More pics in the album section.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for pics. Looks like a good job!

No well diggers here, but I think that plastic car door edging will work for me.