V-8 Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The tin can gas tank idea appears to have gone viral...lol...and thanks for the props SB :)

I see some commercial behind the seat tanks on the market now for our bike builds. Blow By U has this one listed on his site, nice setup albeit a bit pricey for most of us tho.

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
BRAVO! it never ceases to amaze... now that's ingenuity.
My one question, how will that silver solder hold up to our arch nemesis....VIBRATION?
very cool
BBB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Actually that picture was taken last year. After it was taken, I painted it brass color.
I only used 60/40 (soft solder) and have had no mechanical problems.

Nice build Russ,add a little paint to that gas tank and you have a work of art on the cheap.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What kind of seat is that? Love that whole made stuff. There is nothing rong with 60/40 thats all that was ever used before they changed the plumbing laws to lead free.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The seat is the original the 1951 CWC Roadmaster seat, that came with the bicycle.
I have found that partially filling the apple juice can with water made the solderng much easier. My wife bought the bike at a yard sale for $15

y changed the plumbing laws to lead free.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
the seat is the original the 1951 cwc roadmaster seat, that came with the bicycle.
I have found that partially filling the apple juice can with water made the solderng much easier. My wife bought the bike at a yard sale for $15

y changed the plumbing laws to lead free.
[/quote]

awesome!!!!

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
These are a great idea, someone should start selling these either on the forum or on eBay. I've seen some around but they are way too expensive. They should be around the same price as the other tanks available, say around $30-40 for a quality built one with cap and valve.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking of someone with the machinery to turn some of these around quickly, efficiently, and cost effectively. I.e. a press machine or other tooling with induction welding. For example the guys that make the kit tanks or the others that can be found on eBay like the rear mounted tanks and the under frame tanks. I think Boy go fast has these.

I understand cost and labor on custom made tanks.

Last edited:

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
i would love one to fit between the beach cruiser frame rails.. i have one and dont like how the tank sticks out and leaks when tilted to much.. i want it to be air tight somehow at times...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think they would be a little big to fit, but a couple of 1lb coffie cans put end to end or by itself. Would work awesome. Some of the bigger baked bean cans are close......Curt

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Would like to offer some more help. Anyone doing can tanks might beniffit from one of the new style can openers that cut along the rim,they acually cut around the outside of the rim and it comes off with no scharp edges. What is neet is the lid fits right back on without falling inside and can be solderd right back on. Or as with a coffie can one could use the bottom off another to make two solid ends. I bought mine from Pamperd Sheff but you should be able to get them anywere. I have had some cheep ones that didn't work so watch the quality........Curt

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
These are a great idea, someone should start selling these either on the forum or on eBay. I've seen some around but they are way too expensive. They should be around the same price as the other tanks available, say around $30-40 for a quality built one with cap and valve.
Yes, that's a great idea. A really good one with a great quality cap and bung plus petcock, silver soldered and all for $30-$40.00. How about if you do it and you can make a bundle of money? After all, it's just a can, right? Make a bunch, get really good at it and then let us know how soon we can place our orders. I think you would lose interest quickly in this as a get rich quick scheme. It is interesting to me how the same people who get paid well for showing up at work think artisans should do quality hand work for a couple bucks an hour. It is why I don't solicit commissions to make tanks. If someone asks and wants one of mine then we can talk about it. If you want a really cheap tank stick with kit ones, found ones or make your own, but don't expect someone to make a quality, labor intensive tank for you for next to nothing and then stand behind it.
SB

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Yes, that's a great idea. A really good one with a great quality cap and bung plus petcock, silver soldered and all for $30-$40.00. How about if you do it and you can make a bundle of money? After all, it's just a can, right? Make a bunch, get really good at it and then let us know how soon we can place our orders. I think you would lose interest quickly in this as a get rich quick scheme. It is interesting to me how the same people who get paid well for showing up at work think artisans should do quality hand work for a couple bucks an hour. It is why I don't solicit commissions to make tanks. If someone asks and wants one of mine then we can talk about it. If you want a really cheap tank stick with kit ones, found ones or make your own, but don't expect someone to make a quality, labor intensive tank for you for next to nothing and then stand behind it.
SB

The beauty of this form are my thoughts, criticism and flat out tell it like it is… are always expressed by other members before I can post. Thank god!!!

BTW Thanks Scotto for your kind support BRO

CCC

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
for 40 bucks i could make one out of a hi-performance Dole Grapefruit Juice can (the acid in the grapefuit residue helps to atomize the gas, and also acts as a catalyst to speed up the blending of oil and fuel.)

i'll use the best gas cap and bung i can find on an old salt shaker (the extra holes are for venting.)

the petcock isn't necessary, i'll just JB weld a fuel line in place while i'm JB welding the bung on.

i only use the highest quality shoelaces for mounting straps.

for an additional charge, i'll custom paint it, too (as long as i can pick the color.) i have a revolutionary new painting technique. i get whatever unwanted custom color Home depot has in the bargain bin (usually a pea green) and dunk the tank right in the can. as an added bonus, the latex house paint will seal the inside like a tank liner (this may or may not affect the grapefruit acid atomization process...)

i take paypal.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
for 40 bucks i could make one out of a hi-performance Dole Grapefruit Juice can (the acid in the grapefuit residue helps to atomize the gas, and also acts as a catalyst to speed up the blending of oil and fuel.)

i'll use the best gas cap and bung i can find on an old salt shaker (the extra holes are for venting.)

the petcock isn't necessary, i'll just JB weld a fuel line in place while i'm JB welding the bung on.

i only use the highest quality shoelaces for mounting straps.

for an additional charge, i'll custom paint it, too (as long as i can pick the color.) i have a revolutionary new painting technique. i get whatever unwanted custom color Home depot has in the bargain bin (usually a pea green) and dunk the tank right in the can. as an added bonus, the latex house paint will seal the inside like a tank liner (this may or may not affect the grapefruit acid atomization process...)

i take paypal.
... rotfl ...

I'll take two please...with racing red shoe laces ;)