New motor is very weak

GoldenMotor.com

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
I purchased a raw 66/80cc motor last weak and finally got everything connected today. The motor turns on but has no power to actually push me anywhere. I have everything on correctly. The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is that the spark plug cap broke so i just cut it off, stripped the end of the wire and wrapped it around the tip of the spark plug. Like i said, the engine turns on, but doesn't even have enough power to push me on full throttle. any ideas?

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Might need to adjust your clutch cable or even your clutch itself. If you can get it to crank then it should have enough power to move you and the bike unless the clutch is not engaging all the way, hopefully thats it.

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
the clutch is not slipping. and yeah i know how to start it. when i give the motor full throttle, the motor barely makes more noise than when im not giving it throttle at all. the rpm is very very low to what it should be.

REG1951

Jun 26, 2009
centralia,illinois
If the engine runs but doest have power to pull you ...It may not be getting enough gas....I have had this problem,and took the carb off removed the float bowl .trkand blew out the up draft needle valve and this cleared the particle that was blocking it...good luck hope this helps.

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
thanks reg1951. this sounds like it could be the problem. im going to try it out tomorrow. is it ok to have the spark plug wired like i do? (the sparkplug cap broke so i cut it off and stripped the end of the wire and wrapped it around the spark plug.)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
If the engine runs but doest have power to pull you ...It may not be getting enough gas....I have had this problem,and took the carb off removed the float bowl .trkand blew out the up draft needle valve and this cleared the particle that was blocking it...good luck hope this helps.
Thats exactly what happened on a couple of my motors.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's more or less ok for the plug wire to be like that. as long as it's got a good connection, it'll work. just don't touch it while it's runnin.

are you saying that giving it more throttle does nothing? i mean, it doesn't rev up? could just need to adjust your throttle cable tighter.

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
throttle cable is correct. i checked inside the carb and full throttle opens the carb up all the way.

yes thats correct, when i give it full throttle, or any throttle for that matter, the rev up of the motor only slightly increases, but not enough to push me anywhere.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Which way is your choke lever? Up for choke, down to run.

Just thinking out loud.
I was thinking the same thing--- choke. I know when i forget to open it up after warm up I dont forget for long because the bike is a real dog, no power at all but sounds fine and revs up while sitting still. Could be?

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
ok so i cleaned the carb and although it did help a little, the engine is still way to weak. even with the clutch disengaged the motor doesn't rev up to anything id say over 10mph at full throttle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure this engine is even running? Does it continue to run after you pedal and disengage the clutch? I've seen new people say the engine runs while they're pedaling but stops after they stop pedaling. That tells me the engine isn't running but what they hear is only intake and exhaust noise, not a running engine. Make sure you have fuel of the right mixture and it is flowing to the carburetor, put the choke lever up or half way up then squeeze the clutch lever. Pedal up to a good speed, release the clutch and twist the throttle a little. If you think the engine has started, squeeze the clutch lever in and lock it, slow down and stop see if the engine continues to run. If not, start by replacing that plug boot. You can buy a good automotive type at the parts store. Wrapping the wire around the top of the plug will not assure a good connection or spark. Get back to us with the results.
Tom

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
thanks 2door for the response. the engine did start but when i increased the gas, it would not reach higher rpms because the motor would be flooded with too much fuel and turn off if too much throttle was added. finally figured everything out. i had to open the carb and adjust a little pin inside. now the engine runs and has power to push me =). thanks everybody for your help!