lifespan of skyahwk engine

GoldenMotor.com

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
ive ridden my skyhawk 66/80cc engine on my beach cruiser nearly daily since middle august. i estimate ive put nearly 1,500 miles on it riding in-town, stop and go while usually achieving prolonged speeds of near 30mph when she'll do it. i was just wondering what average lifespan (mileage wise) is. id heard that grubee was an off-brand Honda, but not expecting the same kinda lifespan my 93 Accord produced. any insight into this? im starting to have little ticky tacky problems and wonder is this the end of the line coming up?:-||

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
ive ridden my skyhawk 66/80cc engine on my beach cruiser nearly daily since middle august. i estimate ive put nearly 1,500 miles on it riding in-town, stop and go while usually achieving prolonged speeds of near 30mph when she'll do it. i was just wondering what average lifespan (mileage wise) is. id heard that grubee was an off-brand Honda, but not expecting the same kinda lifespan my 93 Accord produced. any insight into this? im starting to have little ticky tacky problems and wonder is this the end of the line coming up?:-||
What problems are ya having? :)

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I got slightly over 2000 miles on mine.
Skyhawk GT-2B 48cc.

The upper needle bearing is allready shot and i replaced it.

My bottom bearings are in very bad shape.
Tick Tick Tick soon to be Crunch Crunch Crunch.

But i guess if you never Rev your motor over 4000 rpm it will last alot longer.

I run 6000 / 8000 Rpm most of the time.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I got over 8000 miles on my last motor, it was not a Skyhawk, but i am liking the way those motors are built the more i see them, when my motor starts making noise i grease the gears!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
id heard that grubee was an off-brand Honda
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Who comes up with this crap?!?
More insane internet rumors!!!!!!

The skyhawk or ANY engine kit by grubbe has ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION WITH HONDA, PRESENT PAST OR FUTURE. If someone is telling you that, they are the worst kind of liar and BS'er with very little to no knowledge of these things AT ALL.

The don't resemble anything by Honda, and aren't even in the same century as far as technology.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
My idea of a life span on these is" lets see if I can blow it up!!!!"
So far no luck..... well I did have a 48cc or 50cc what ever small size it was supposed to be and I'll add bought from bgf it lasted long enough to start, seized in about 1 minute from the trash that was in the crankcase. So if you buy from him you will want to take it completely apart, clean out the cigarette butts, ashes, metal filing, finger nail clippings etc. you might get a good engine out of the deal on the other hand you might not.
Don't bother with asking him for a warranty there isn't any.I've bought more engines from him than anyone else and they are a crap shoot. Not that he is a no good guy just you never know what going to land on your door step from him.
I bought 1 kings it was the first and still going strong and it runs very smooth no vibs.
Dax is another seller I've bought from his engines are very, very, nice I'd rate his as the best of the few that I have bought, plus he's very good about parts etc.
But I do have parts now. laff

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
My idea of a life span on these is" lets see if I can blow it up!!!!"
So far no luck..... well I did have a 48cc or 50cc what ever small size it was supposed to be and I'll add bought from bgf it lasted long enough to start, seized in about 1 minute from the trash that was in the crankcase. So if you buy from him you will want to take it completely apart, clean out the cigarette butts, ashes, metal filing, finger nail clippings etc. you might get a good engine out of the deal on the other hand you might not.
Don't bother with asking him for a warranty there isn't any.
But I do have parts now. laff
Im using a BGF for my latest engine and it has 400 miles on it and running like a champ....engine is super quiet and runs good(luck of the draw)....I have bought 2 raw engine kits a few weeks ago but havent mounted one yet....

John-John.shft.