Schwinn Meridian and gasbike Adult Tricycle

GoldenMotor.com
Finished my trike and rode it about a half mile today. Now I realize that this is not like some of the fabulous builds I see on this site but I don't have a welder or machine tools and wouldn't know how to use them if I had them. Next time I won't buy a kit I will buy the parts from vendors that have customer service. I'm still waiting on my son to get my crank arms bent for my 79cc monster (LOL) bike. Pictures won't upload because their about 8 megabytes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon
The trike went together in about 2 hours with no problem. I bought it online from Walmart because of their return policy and free shipping. The problems I encountered with the kit install were #1, gasbike sent me the wrong size clutch, 5/8 bore should be 3/4" bore for the 212cc engine, couldn't get a hold of their customer service dept. to get it rectified so I had to stand the cost and buy the right size.. #2, after hack sawing off the u bolts even with the nuts the engine still hit the 2 bolts that attach the engine mount to the frame. the remedy this I put spacers between the engine and engine mount. #3, two of the 1/2" engine mount bolts were restricted by the part of the frame the engine mount sits on. To remedy this I used high tensile 3/8" bolts. #4 Last but not least. I liked to have never got that CNC pineapple sprocket mount wobble and hop acceptable. Even after that it still moves around when tapped with a plastic mallet however under power it doesn't seem to move and I really poured the coals to it from a dead stop several times. I temporarily left the left rear fender off to make sure the drive chain didn't eat it if it came off. Things left to do: windshield,head light, mirrors and half link for drive chain as it is a little bit to loose. I tried a 79cc predator with this and it was a real dog. Probably needed a bigger rear sprocket instead of the supplied 44 tooth. You really need to pedal a little to get it off the line but after that it has all kinds of power although it is kind of squirrely being driven by only one rear wheel. It goes a hellova lot faster than I'll ever ride it, different story for the bike though.

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
First of all great looking build! Old guy to old guy you are more correct than you know about the handling. Slow is really good and take corners twice as slow as you feel you should take them. One wheel driven & super high center of gravity on this one. Have fun and enjoy the slow...Rick C.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Slow, easy. Your not as young as me no more. **** you've probably turned my age twice! I implore you, do not meet the pavement friend. That hurts at any age! Stay safe and enjoy the scenery. Be sure to follow the other stereotypes, like leaving your turn signal on and other fun stuff you're allowed to get away with now... Like forgetting your robe when you fetch the paper... In the buff lol! I can't wait to try that one myself. Like I said, be safe, you guys got to stick around and show us young bucks how it's done.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You guys got to stick around and show us young bucks how it's done. LOL Got four bucks and they still don't to dad, age 50 and up.

My opinion the trikes are made for bike trails and the rear is to narrow and to far back past the original axle center line. Ok for pedales, but for motors you need wider rear tread, for stability. Just like motorcycle trikes or the old Orient, that they used to race.........Curt

fred fullilove

Nov 3, 2017
The trike went together in about 2 hours with no problem. I bought it online from Walmart because of their return policy and free shipping. The problems I encountered with the kit install were #1, gasbike sent me the wrong size clutch, 5/8 bore should be 3/4" bore for the 212cc engine, couldn't get a hold of their customer service dept. to get it rectified so I had to stand the cost and buy the right size.. #2, after hack sawing off the u bolts even with the nuts the engine still hit the 2 bolts that attach the engine mount to the frame. the remedy this I put spacers between the engine and engine mount. #3, two of the 1/2" engine mount bolts were restricted by the part of the frame the engine mount sits on. To remedy this I used high tensile 3/8" bolts. #4 Last but not least. I liked to have never got that CNC pineapple sprocket mount wobble and hop acceptable. Even after that it still moves around when tapped with a plastic mallet however under power it doesn't seem to move and I really poured the coals to it from a dead stop several times. I temporarily left the left rear fender off to make sure the drive chain didn't eat it if it came off. Things left to do: windshield,head light, mirrors and half link for drive chain as it is a little bit to loose. I tried a 79cc predator with this and it was a real dog. Probably needed a bigger rear sprocket instead of the supplied 44 tooth. You really need to pedal a little to get it off the line but after that it has all kinds of power although it is kind of squirrely being driven by only one rear wheel. It goes a hellova lot faster than I'll ever ride it, different story for the bike though.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You guys got to stick around and show us young bucks how it's done. LOL
Got four bucks and they still don't to dad, age 50 and up.
Ya, I'm in that 50+ group.

Kletus, Is this what you bought?

https://www.gasbike.net/products/gastrike-79cc-trike-engine-kit-1
I can't believe gasbike still sells that death trap trike kit.

I went electric shifting with my trikes.

36V 960W LI battery powered well enough to tap in 3 tail lights in serial.

I put everything including the charger in the rear box.

Sorry that won't help you now Kletus, but it's something to keep in mind for those looking to build.

emmamia

Sep 17, 2021
The trike went together in about 2 hours with no problem. I bought it online from Walmart because of their return policy and free shipping. The problems I encountered with the kit install were #1, gasbike sent me the wrong size clutch, 5/8 bore should be 3/4" bore for the 212cc engine, couldn't get a hold of their customer service dept. to get it rectified so I had to stand the cost and buy the right size.. #2, after hack sawing off the u bolts even with the nuts the engine still hit the 2 bolts that attach the engine mount to the frame. the remedy this I put spacers between the engine and engine mount. #3, two of the 1/2" engine mount bolts were restricted by the part of the frame the engine mount sits on. To remedy this I used high tensile 3/8" bolts. #4 Last but not least. I liked to have never got that CNC pineapple sprocket mount wobble and hop acceptable. Even after that it still moves around when tapped with a plastic mallet however under power it doesn't seem to move and I really poured the coals to it from a dead stop several times. I temporarily left the left rear fender off to make sure the drive chain didn't eat it if it came off a bicycle vs tricycle for adults. Things left to do: windshield,head light, mirrors and half link for drive chain as it is a little bit to loose. I tried a 79cc predator with this and it was a real dog. Probably needed a bigger rear sprocket instead of the supplied 44 tooth. You really need to pedal a little to get it off the line but after that it has all kinds of power although it is kind of squirrely being driven by only one rear wheel. It goes a hellova lot faster than I'll ever ride it, different story for the bike though.
I have a 24-inch Miami Sun trike that's a single-speed with front brakes. The drive setup is simply the chain running directly to a freewheel on the axle basically like a kid's trick bike. There are "dropouts" midway on the frame to mount a coaster brake hub which would use 2 chains. QUESTION.Is the coaster hub on a trike the 3xact thing/size of a bike wheel? Without buying a kit can a coaster brake setup be added from standard junk bike parts? How does the second hub-mounted sprocket attach? Thinking about doing this to mine but only if it can be done using scrap parts.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Go here and see. Cannonball 2 did one on his builds. Search Cannonballs abbynormal 3speed build. All the info is there. As I remember the sprocket on the hub itself is from a 7sp SA hub just fit with a bit of drilling. The hub on the 7sp was much larger and turned out being just right to fit the 3sp got lucky!