what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

rode around, went to the bank, then bought another bike carcass. another rusty old colson 24", except this one's super rare and probably worth a lot of money restored, so i dunno if i'm gonna motor it. but i want to.

i had to cut the cranks off because they were so rusted out there wasn't even a nut on the bottom bracket anymore. just a semi-round, petrified chunk.

the frame looks bad, but it's actually really nice.

and for some reason i can't post pics of it. keeps saying "invalid file." tomorrow i'll take some more, or something...

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia

The files likely in the a format not accepted on this forum, right click on the pic gotto propeties i will tell you the files format, you want it in jpeg format and at 1024 resolution or below to up it here. If you dont know how to change it and resize email it to me at [email protected] ill up it on my ftp space and post it here for you.

KiM

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

I am worried about the looks of the bike. I was going for more of a DARK Death look.
But today I put on a rear basket. Looks vs. practicality???? I will say though, that the new basket holds a full case of beverages!!!! And makes the 3 mile round trip to the Wally World much easier and more convienient. Just another reason to ride more.
Does it look nerdy????
I does hold 2x12 packs of .................beverages!!!!!

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

That picture in the link is the MotorBike the kids and I built together and the one as my avitar. The one I put the basket on is my second bike I bought used of C-List. I had torn it down to nothing,, and rebuilt it. It does not quite look like I want it to yet, But it is developing nicely.
Niether one of the bikes is anything more than a basic build. But man do they draw attention every where. I think there will be a small outburst of MotorBikes in my area shortly.
I did try a whimpy set of saddle bags from Wally World made by Schwinn, The bags were rugged, but the attachment bands and clips were not up to the task. I think I would like to find a nice set of leather bags,, Or I just might have to custom make my own. That would be cool.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

I FINALLY- a year later- installed the newer NTS66 carb onto the billet intake- the bike has been running great with the old kit 50cc carb, since I put the billet on-

- except the last two trips started bogging down when it got warmer after several miles- I don't know why, but with a 36 sprocket and narrow wheels, I'm never more than about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to cruise at 25/ 30. I'm off for coffee and a basket of groceries and back on a cup of gas or so- maybe 5 miles round trip.

I had some fuel leaking around the old one, and the fitting was loose- maybe that was it. Plug looked good, and hadn't changed fuel in several runs

So the new one is on, but haven't had it out yet. Love the new lower fuel cut-off valve- I see the billet intakes are being made even shorter now I think- that's good-

mine could be almost 1/4 inch shorter and closer to motor-
that would also give more frame clearance in the back of carb.
I've thought about hacking it, but the groove for the small rubber gasket ring would go then too.

I'm expecting good results, although I see the clamp for the 66 carb isn't quite wide enough for the neck- and then PINNED to the carb sleeve so it can't be pushed back- this leaves very small "pinholes" behind the clamp, where the sleeve is slotted under it for possible air leak- it may need an internal gasket or other cover behind the main clamp.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i went to Newport Beach to take a ride with my buddy and his new bike i built for him. we got about 5 blocks and got stopped by my good buddy Officer Darling (his real name.)

we both had license plates, front and rear lights, and DOT helmets, but no working brakelights, high beams or horns.

that cut our whole ride short.

we didn't get tickets, luckily, since this guy's purpose in life is to get everybody legal, by ticketing and impounding bikes, but he said we couldn't ride without the proper equipment.

if we woulda kept riding, we woulda got fix-it tickets. not that big of a deal, but we decided not to push the issue and went home.

so tomorrow, my next post in this thread might be "i made working brakelights, high beams and horns for our bikes..."

ain't gonna let the man keep me down.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got my chromoly axle in the mail!
gonna throw it on tomorrow, too tired right now from work to put it on...

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland

Cleaned it up good
Stared at it wondering if I really want to ride in 40 degree weather with the
wind blowing.
Man winter sucks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Stared at it wondering if I really want to ride in 40 degree weather with the
wind blowing.
Man winter sucks
Right!? Just had the same morning, lol.

$#W%&* moving to (*&%(&^$ Florida just &^*&% soon as I can talk Carol into it

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Guess that means the next thing I do with a motorized bike is build another!

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"

Right!? Just had the same morning, lol.

$#W%&* moving to (*&%(&^$ Florida just &^*&% soon as I can talk Carol into it
pin-strip'in my gas tank

Well?....ya had what 2yrs to talk her into it?....by the way its 76* in my garage...ceiling fans turnin....wife-beater & gym shorts.....whats it up there like 38?...........good time to buy a house down here....lotsa cash deals on foreclosures/short sales.......did it 2yrs ago this week after early retirement from Con ED in N.Y.C........don't miss any of it....'cept down here Santa Claus wears shorts..and has a mullet!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL Mr. Just got back from a ride. Am frozen an' you just had to say 76*! (an I been trying to talk her into it for a whole bunch more then 2 yrs. snork)

My test chain had 3 master links and one half. (is used to swap around different builds in various stages of deconstruction. pre-stretched) Removed half link. Lowered engine to accommodate the now to short chain. Cut off some of muffler pipe. Toyed with welding pipe and flange, but need more practice. Drilled weep hole in pipe. After welding most of pipe, lost 1K RPM. Need to widen hole in blow bag or use a real muffler. hehe, gonna go with the larger hole of course. Well, try both. I made it thread on/off

Pics are b4 and after shortening pipe.

Blowbag muffler vid (for sound. Vid is by cell phone and not good) RiverSide :: whisper drive/HF Engine/clog-Free muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

put my chromoly axle on, hopefully this one won't bend as quickly... (i do need to get a hub with better bearings though... it's bending on the freewheel side where it's not supported as well)

what motor is that you got on there? looks like some type of cvt on there right?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Is a HF 2.5 with a whisper drive Skarrd. Just a Max Tourq clutch and pulley. Dunno if can be seen in this pic but clear cover supports a bearing for the final shaft.

Vid is a lil easier to see; Vids :: whisper drive/HF Engine video by dan3xd - Photobucket

The only problem with the HF 2.5s. They just can't climb. Tried though. just look at the path it made getting a running start.
Now the "Slinky" theme song is playing in my head, lol

Vids :: HFs can't climb video by dan3xd - Photobucket