Bike alarm anyone got one of these.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Respects to both of you but most law enforcement folks will tell you that if used alone audible alarms are not considered effective theft deterents. In several studies and tests they were shown to go ignored by most people and even considered an annoyance.

They might help if you have to park your bike outside overnight and the audible alarm would most certainly get the thief unwanted attention. However if you rely on it when the bike is sitting outside, maybe at a store while you're away, a thief could simply walk or ride away with the bike while it makes noise that most folks won't pay any attention to. Used in combination with a decent bike lock the effectivness is enhanced.

Just my observation.

Tom

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty all , aleman i had one of them and the inside busted where the battery goes and did not like it as people can see it on the bike ,this one i put in the bag on the back of the bike , 2door yep i be using a chain and lock as well even just going to the shop , i got 2 locks for night time in garage as well ,lol maniac :) ty Desert rat , its just something that i can hear if i am in shop or round about the place i go ,i know it will not stop people but i will have an idea if someone his after it if you know what i mean .

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Any one got one of these i ordered one from ebay but it did not get here and got money back going to try again with someone else just wondered if anyone had one .

Bike Anti-Theft Security Alarm Bicycle Remote System

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191051124109
I got 2 of those. Loud as h3ll and very sensitive. I velcro'd it under my 4 stroke motor mount. One time I forgot and left it there while riding and it flew off into the street and a car ran over it and flattened it like a pancake. LOL

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty again all , weird thing i got my money back from it as it did not arrived (they said 14-20th april)so the vender gave me my money back ,but it arrived today lol 2 weeks later that should have ,sounds good , like i said it will be in my back box and only use it in ear distant away says quick run into shop etcetc .

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Screamers are an interesting idea, but with so many people desensitized to car alarms (seriously, there's rarely a day goes by in my neighbourhood without one going off for 5 minutes at a time because no one seems to notice or care) I wonder if it would even get noticed.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Screamers are an interesting idea, but with so many people desensitized to car alarms (seriously, there's rarely a day goes by in my neighbourhood without one going off for 5 minutes at a time because no one seems to notice or care) I wonder if it would even get noticed.
It wouldn't get noticed by anyone other than the bikes owner who has to be within ear shot of it. That's all it's good for really. Mine cost about $5.

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
yep miked that what i mean i never be more than a ear shot of it, so if i heard it go off i know it was mine .

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It wouldn't get noticed by anyone other than the bikes owner who has to be within ear shot of it. That's all it's good for really. Mine cost about $5.
True that, for most of the time. At the time I posted I was thinking about my bikes in the garage, and how most of the houses here have thier garage an average of a storey/floor above or below the houses (hilly neighbourhood). If you're just inside the store for a minute it would be more noticable.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
True that, for most of the time. At the time I posted I was thinking about my bikes in the garage, and how most of the houses here have thier garage an average of a storey/floor above or below the houses (hilly neighbourhood). If you're just inside the store for a minute it would be more noticable.
When my 20HP electric bike is finished am I gonna be paranoid to leave it outside my hearing range in Los Angeles for more than 1 minute? Yeah you could say that. LOL

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Respects to both of you but most law enforcement folks will tell you that if used alone audible alarms are not considered effective theft deterents. In several studies and tests they were shown to go ignored by most people and even considered an annoyance...

Tom
Effectiveness unknown - around these parts it's a sure sign of an out-of-towner if someone actually sets their alarm, the "bleep beep" accompanied by a sudden chorus of crazy-eyed stares folks start to wonder of they're the sketchy one that unnerved them so. Windows down & keys dangling from the ignition is the norm, be it the driveway, work or the corner store...

...except in wallyworld's lot, no one trusts wallyworld lol

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
When my 20HP electric bike is finished am I gonna be paranoid to leave it outside my hearing range in Los Angeles for more than 1 minute? Yeah you could say that. LOL

Yeah, no doubt. It's looking good so far, looking forward to seeing it when you're 'done'.