what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Got new tires, Bell Glides with Kevlar. Look like they're going to rock. $46.33 total for the pair. Nice tread depth, and some of the 'lugs' along the edges are corrugated for more "sidebite"

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Today, I finished my engine swap from a 66cc 2 stroke to a 79cc predator, and then promptly crashed the bike while test riding it when I hit a patch of leaves during a turn and the new motor was powerful enough that it started to "burn rubber" and I laid down the bike. Had to stomp on the pedal to bend it straight again so it would clear the frame and I could ride it the rest of the way around the block (yes, I crashed while riding in circles around my block, my pride is horribly wounded), scraped my knee and elbow, but the bike's fine and so am I (mostly), so I'm happy. The new motor does about 45 and can take off from a standing start and accelerate up a steep hill and do wheelies!
.wee.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Necromancer I'm looking at getting a pred for my current build the "blue bomber" above how'd you mount a sprocket to the engine?
I used a max torque clutch coupled with AGK's jackshaft and replaced the 22t on the jackshaft with a 36t, however you might not have to, I have 29" tires and a 36t rear sprocket, and I needed a bit more power.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
i have a 26" wheel and want to climb the hills i live on.
Well, with my current setup, my end gear ratio is about 13:1 and I can accelerate up a steep hill to about 25-30mph. Here's a gear ratio calculator if you want to plug in some numbers yourself: https://www.affordablegokarts.com/GearCalc.php

I'm running the 11t max torque clutch to a 36t input on the jackshaft to a 9t on the output to a 36t on the wheel. With your 26" wheels... let me do some mental math here... you could get the same results with a gear ratio of 11.7ish:1.

Btw are you going to remove the governor system?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I swapped my crank for one that is an inch shorter. This'll give me the space I need to add "Vespa" style splash guards. But that's a project for another day. I'd better get cracking, though. Winter's coming pretty soon.

Then I added some weight to my front wheel by threading a chain through the spokes.

DSCN0634.JPG

What I'm trying to do here is increase the gyroscope effect of the wheel. It was getting dark and rainy. So I only got in one short test ride.

But the results seemed promising. I jiggled the handlebars a bit and my front end did seem to feel more weighty, or massive, than it had.

I'll know more about the success when I've been able to ride a bit more.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Blue, have you thought about automotive tire weights? The can be had in a variety of weights, and easily obtained from tire shops. The rim clip could be wrapped around your spokes quite securely. Could balance your wheels this way too. Just thinkin, weighty wheels may not be a bad idea in the snow.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know.....automotive tire weights are not a bad idea. You could pack more weight into a convenient package than you can with chain. Thanks. I'm gonna have to try that.

And, yes, stable wheels for the winter is what I've got in mind.

I've ridden motorized over hard packed snow and ice before. It's do-able. But I didn't feel entirely secure.

So I'm trying to adjust this bike. I swapped down to 24 inch wheels. Decided that I liked them, only to discover that studded 24 inch tires seem to be about as common as hen's teeth. So now I'm studding my own.

But, anyway, I'm now lower to the ground. And if I can make those wheels a bit more stable than they already are, then I don't think winter is going to be all that fearsome.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I looked at my bikes, then out the garage window at the 10" of snow and went back to polishing the paint and chrome. That's about it.

Tom
Why, yes, Tom! I'd heard tell that there was a pretty good winter storm out your way.

I like rough weather. But if it stops you from riding your bike, in November no less, don't you feel kinda burned?

On the other hand, I get the impression that while you do get more snow and ice than we do in total it's more likely to melt off in between precip events.

So maybe it all balances out?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
You're right, our snow doesn't typically hang on for weeks like it does other places. I'm thankful for that. I've taken my bikes out for rides on Thanksgiving Day with temperatures in the high 60s. You just never know about Colorado weather. But then don't they say that about weather everywhere?

I know you're an all-weather rider and my hat is off to you. I've lived through a couple of Illinois winters and I know what they're like. You're a good ambassador for the hobby.

Tom

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Blue, have you put any thought to tire chains? They're actually really easy to make, and are on my to do list. I've done them out of logging chain for my old dump truck. I've done them out of staples for 1:24 scale RC rock crawler. I guess a bike is somewhere in the middle.

I've seen a premade set online, but they're pricy, and I'm cheap. A trip to the chain section at you local hardware store could save some serious cash. And maybe some skin.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I have thought about tire chains. But I'm likely to ride on long stretches of clear pavement even when snow is out and about. And I'm thinkin' tire chains and clear pavement aren't gonna match up all that well.